I just realized i can't use my Z10 in some carriers because Blackberry force carriers to some stupid configuration and even that i have an unlocked phone i can't set the APN setting and save it to have data (internet/MMS) and instead all i get is only voice and SMS :-(

I thought BlackBerry what to win the markets and make there BB10 OS and phone attractive but it can't enable their phone on some carrier like all iphone and Android .
    why is that ? how hard it that to be able to support data connectivity like others ?! why Blackberry have to complicate things for us users ?!

i hope that someone from BlackBerry hear me here and will be able to push it back into blackberry to understand that they are causing the users hard-time instead of enabling users to move between networks and manually configuring them to make the data plan work... but now i need to open my OLD android phone that have no problems to switch between any carrier that i would like anywhere in the world !!!
    11-16-13 08:00 PM
    wow didn't i just show you that the problem your having is local to you??? in the other post you made about this same topic
    11-16-13 08:16 PM
    apparently it's not local to me i found that in the support forums of Z10 (APN setting on the BB z10 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums) many had that issue as well first as an issue in 10.0 but then still having some issues also on 10.1
    Blackberry fail to fix this small issue without any good reason ...
    11-16-13 08:48 PM
    If it's just an OS issue, then maybe it's coming. I'm pretty sure it's not of of personal spite to you

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 08:53 PM
    What? If you put a sim in from a particular network you will get their apn settings, what's the problem?

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 and habs_fan like this.
    11-16-13 09:23 PM
    i have putted manually APN setting and it never save it or actually activate it .. it has many bugs that it doesn't work...
    after i set the APN when i enter again to the APN menu nothing appears like it never saved it... see the post that i have posted from the support
    many are also seeing this issue and need to do all sort of things to make it work/not (APN setting on the BB z10 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums)
    11-16-13 09:31 PM
    I know that on 10.0, the APN was locked, but that was two major updates ago. I travelled with 10.1 and put in US SIMS a few times and got data and SMS no problem.

Remember also that for certain carrier, you need to manually set you APN settings.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 09:31 PM
    like i have already mentioned, i want to manually configure it but when i press save it doesn't save it! when i re-enter the APN setting the "saved" APN is not stored..
    11-16-13 09:47 PM
    You also posted the link to the forum where it was already discussed. What are you trying to gain by posting it again here? This is the exact opposite of the forums intent.
    like i have already mentioned, i want to manually configure it but when i press save it doesn't save it! when i re-enter the APN setting the "saved" APN is not stored..

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 10:08 PM
    well the forum that i have posted didn't helped.. so i hope to get help from ppl here...
    11-16-13 10:12 PM
    Gotya. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 10:16 PM
    I have no solution for the OP's problem, but I can state that he is not alone.

I have an unlocked Rogers z10. I've used a TIM SIM and a Vodafone.de SIM in the phone and had no need to play with the APN settings to get data. I've also used a Telus SIM and received SMS messages, but I don't recall if data worked (I only used that SIM for a few minutes).

I tried using a Meteor SIM (Ireland) , and although the phone accepted it, the account was blocked from being used in Italy and by the time Meteor responded to my request for it to be unblocked, I had left Italy.

The one SIM card that I have used that refused to allow me data is lycamobil.nl. Voice and SMS worked fine, but data was impossible. Even their customer service eventually admitted that it won't work on the z10. The problem with this SIM is the same as outlined by the OP. I would edit the APN as advised by lycamobil.nl, but the APN would revert to Rogers ltemobile.apn when I tried to save it. Same result if I did it through the engineering screens. Interestingly, I could edit the APN when I had the Vodafone.de SIM in the phone and the APN would save, but when I replaced that SIM with the lycamobil.nl SIM, the APN would revert to Rogers' APN and the edited APN would refuse to save. I gave up.

I'm not sure which OS version I was using with which SIM other than to say that the TIM card was used in May (probably 10.0); the Vodafone.de card was used in August (probably 10.1) ; and the lycamobil.nl card was used in September (probably 10.1). Haven't tried with 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 01:18 AM
    thank you ! it it now less frustrating to see that i'm not alone in this and BlackBerry is doing a poor work that Android and iPhone easily overcome it by allowing easy access to change the APN and it works all the time .. only BlackBerry and thier bulls**t BB10 that doesn't move anywhere because they think that they have the best OS of some other bulls**t they believe in...

we are in 10.2.1 and they still haven't got support properly for APN and i need to use my 3generation back android (2.3) that do work with that and doesn't complain about if the SIM is one way or the other...
    11-17-13 01:59 AM
    What? If you put a sim in from a particular network you will get their apn settings, what's the problem?

Posted via CB10
    Exactly APN's are standardized globally, there actually a throw back from the Nortel networks days and should need for ANY User to input into any computing device or adapter for data.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 02:40 AM
    you know when BlackBerry used to sell phones only by carriers I understand they didn't need to fix this issue but now that they are selling the phone directly to the users they need to fix this issue ASAP !!
    since many users need to change the APN setting manually regardless to what carriers they are at and BlackBerry need to solve this for them since they are selling the phone directly to us !!!
    11-17-13 07:15 AM
    I would think it should be obvious by the experiences detailed here and elsewhere that this is a carrier issue. Carriers are provisioning phones with APNs that don't work with the accounts associated with the SIM cards.

I have a factory unlocked phone. Rogers and T-Mobile SIM set the APN correctly for their networks, VirginMobile does not. Some SIM cards lock the APN, some don't.

Later versions of the OS, leaks and development builds allow editing of the APN, but ultimately if your carrier isn't provisioning your phone correctly for the service you purchase from them your complaint is with the carrier.

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    11-17-13 10:07 AM
    You are definitely not alone. It is Blackberry that needs to unlock the APN settings (not the carriers, i.e. other phone brands and previous blackberry os's allowed one to edit the APN).
    11-17-13 07:32 PM
    You are definitely not alone. It is Blackberry that needs to unlock the APN settings (not the carriers, i.e. other phone brands and previous blackberry os's allowed one to edit the APN).
    It's still a problem. Nothing has changed. Very depressing
    08-28-14 03:03 PM
    First of all I don't see this as being a big problem because editing one's APN settings is a very advanced procedure that most people wouldn't have a clue about.

That being said, I have in the past needed to change my APN settings. It's not that BlackBerry doesn't allow you to edit your APN settings, it's that they allow carriers to SIM lock your APN settings.

That's the problem. With some carriers you can edit your APN settings, with others you can't.

Posted via CB10
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    08-28-14 03:25 PM
    If you take out the sim, input and save the desired APN
    Then put in the sim after, it doesn't keep the APN you saved?

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    08-28-14 05:37 PM