Hi,
    I am using Box to sync and backup photos and videos from my Z3 sd card.
    However my device storage shows an increasing size utilised by Box on my device storage.
    Does Box store a local copy on device storage which syncing to cloud?
    Can we avoid this?
    Or can we delete this safely without losing content from the sd card or cloud?

... Z10
    09-14-14 05:31 AM
    I also see Box storing percentages are igh on my SD card, but not on my device. I often wonder where exactly it stores things as well. I hope someone can give us an answer. Excellent question!!!
    When I search device memory, I can't find anything about Box.
    09-14-14 07:04 AM
    It's not just Box. It's the file manager and any helper app that's integrated into it like Dropbox, Onedrive, and Mega.

You'll notice the same thing when you copy something from Device or SD card to your Desktop with File Manager hooked up with link over Wifi.

I've tried to figure out as much as possible, but I'm even still in the dark.

Mine caches to my device memory somewhere and eats it up. I've had a number of instances where (various OS versions) because of a"you don't have permission" error, it has eaten up the device memory and never given it back. Even after weeks and multiple reboots.

I won't use the MOVE function in File Manager anymore because I've had errors writing and the file gets lost to cache. It's doesn't copy to its destination because of an error, but the file is gone from device or sd card. Device memory, where it's cached to, remains used up..

It doesn't always do this. I've had successful transfers. But, I've had enough messups to make me cautious .

Dviles

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 09:49 AM
    Your alternative is to use the Android app.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 09:53 AM
    One of the most annoying things about BB10 is how apps like this eat up the device memory and we can't even control it or know where the files are, not to mention the MESS in the MISC folder!

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 09:55 PM
    Hi, here is what i found,
    Box automaticalyl adds every photo or video taken with the phone, even if your media is stored on an sd card, to the phone memory.
    I usually take photos in HDR and then delete the pictures i do not like, because i only sinc on wifi when i get to a wifi point all my pictures get uploaded to box, even the ones i delete.
    Now my box uses 1.8GB of data and i do not know how to clear that data.

If you look from another perspective, this is a good thing. I found it the hard way though. My memory card lost all of the data but BOX was paused at that time. If only i knew this before i deleted the app i could have recovered my photos and video easily...

If anyone knows how to delete the cache of BOX i would be glad to hear it
    10-23-14 06:12 PM
    First of all you can tell Box not to upload photos and videos as you take them.

Second, Box doesn't store anything locally unless you upload a file from your phone and then don't delete the original. Say you have pictures in the camera folder and you choose to sync them all to Box. You can delete the ones in the camera folder once the upload is complete and you'll recover that space. The only time Box puts files on your phone is if you try to view a file stored on the Box servers.

Z30 STA100-5 - 10.3.0.1130
    10-23-14 09:08 PM
    No. That's how you would expect it to work, but BB10 caches it (Box, Dropbox, Onedrive, Link via wifi) until it's successfully synced. Copy any large file with File Manager to any of those destinations, and you can watch your device memory go down by that file size. And, if there is an error like the connection is lost or permissions aren't correct, it never releases that memory.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 09:23 PM
    Last night I recorded some 5+ min videos to my sd card just to see what happens. With box turned off all the videos got copied to phone memory by themselves. At the end box showed an application size of over 8gb.
    After I deleted the app I got back over 8gb of memory.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 06:18 AM
    This is all very confusing. I thought I knew how it worked and now my brain is a jumble trying to understand how I'm wrong.

Z30 STA100-5 - 10.3.0.1130
    10-24-14 08:44 AM
    The app copies files to its own directory structure before uploading them then deleting the second local copy it created which is invisible to the end user. Often files get stuck.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 10:52 AM
    Even with BOX on paused the files got copied to the phone internal memory though, because they were big files and they could not be uploaded, they never got deleted.
    I wrote BOX about this and their response was the feature is not currently supported (to delete cached files)...
    10-24-14 03:48 PM
    not to mention the MESS in the MISC folder!
    My 2 cents (off topic) : don't touch the media subfolders of the Android folder. And don't be afraid, there is no duplicate data here, but symbolic links to enable Android apps to work rigth.
    10-24-14 05:35 PM
    I'm having the same issue now that I recorded a few videos to my SD card and all of a sudden my phone says that device storage space is dangerously low.

I'm currently hunting down the files in the device storage to delete them and will report the location if I find them. What a waste of time, Box.
    05-01-15 09:58 AM
    Why don't you try CamDAV photo / video sync?
    It doesn't make file copies and can delete uploaded content from your device.
    Use dav.box.com/dav URL as they say in the description.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 07:05 AM
    Why don't you try CamDAV photo / video sync?
    It doesn't make file copies and can delete uploaded content from your device.
    Use dav.box.com/dav URL as they say in the description.

Posted via CB10
    Where's CamDAV?

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 07:19 AM
    Logout then log back in on Box. This will fix the memory issue. But of course Box will eat memory again if you have new files. So you need to do this when you noticed that Box memory is getting large again.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 08:55 AM
    Where's CamDAV?

Posted via CB10
    I can see it in the app world.
    Perhaps its not available for all devices. I have a z10 and can find it.

Here's the share text with a link :

Check out CamDAV in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59953617

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 11:13 AM
    I can see it in the app world.
    Perhaps its not available for all devices. I have a z10 and can find it.

Here's the share text with a link :

Check out CamDAV in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59953617

Posted via CB10
    Author is Vladlen Rudenko and your nickname is vrud. There shouldn't be anything wrong with promoting your own app on these forums if you're legitimately trying to help people solve a problem. No reason to hide from it.

Seems like an interesting app, thanks for developing it.
    05-15-15 10:36 AM
    No reason to hide from it.

Seems like an interesting app, thanks for developing it.
    Sorry, pal, it's not my app.
    Though I agree that its interesting.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 01:33 PM