What apps could I download to protect and find my z10 if it gets stolen?... my z10 comes in today
    Best,
    Mike
    11-20-13 03:07 AM
    BlackBerry Protect is good and an inbuilt feature too

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 03:10 AM
    There is a dev working on a great app here in the forums too, the app should be coming soon and is awesome!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=872903

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 03:16 AM
    BlackBerry Protect won't stop being stolen, it just makes it no use when it is.
    Ironically, a friend of mine left her phone on a train station counter when sorting out her ticket so not technically stolen. She didn't have BlackBerry Protect running. This was before BBM would swap over to your new device and was pin specific. Anyways, she contacted her provider who said she would be shut down in 24 hours. In the mean time her phone came back on line and the user who obviously didn't know it was nicked used their name on bbm. I searched facebook for that name and found one in my area who had a mutual friend, my niece. She asked him and he had just bought the phone off a friend who "found it " they returned it to me and I gave it back. Had BlackBerry Protect been on the phone would have been dead. That was very, very lucky though so I would definitely have blackberry protect minimum.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 03:37 AM
    As a preventative measure you can use Charger Alert to protect your BlackBerry while it is charging.
    11-20-13 03:52 AM
    BlackBerry Protect can help find your phone when you loose it, but it cannot disable it. It will allow you to remotely wipe it, but once wiped, the new user can just set it up like a new phone. The only way to disable it is to have your carrier block the IMEI and if possible have BlackBerry block the PIN. I don't think it is very easy to get BlackBerry to block the pin though and may be more effort than its worth.
    11-20-13 07:44 AM
    Does wiping the phone reset the password?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 02:38 PM
    Does wiping the phone reset the password?
    Yes, it restores everything to the default factory settings.
    AWB70 likes this.
    11-21-13 10:07 AM
    BlackBerry Protect still lets you know where your phone is by GPS. You can also display messages on the screen.
    11-21-13 10:45 AM
    BlackBerry Protect is great in theory, but it is very sketchy if the device is on wifi only.

I was international with my phone, so I turned the network off and was using it via wifi only. Even though my z10 was on and connected to wifi, Protect was unable to locate it. A display message I sent arrived hours later, and it never played the lost device sound.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 04:01 PM
    Security being one of the biggest things people buy blackberry phones I think it would be great if you could lock down the pin when all other avenues had been tried.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 11:56 AM
    Yeah, I have my issues with Blackberry Protect. Although they responded to my complaint and suggestion nothing has changed.

To fully locate/retrieve your device, not only do you need to activate Blackberry Protect, you also need to turn on Location Services to potentially locate your device on the Blackberry Protect Map.

Blackberry Protect can be Password Protected but there is no feature to lock Location Services. If your device is not password protected and Blackberry Protect is activated, the thief (or loss and founder) can disable Location Services and you will never have the opportunity to find your phone on the map.

I hope they change this soon.
    AWB70 likes this.
    11-22-13 02:02 PM
    Protect.blackberry.com , uses your BlackBerry ID, this site for recover lost blackberry if you turned it on in your device and your device is open and Internet working on it, it will track your device, you can wipe the device, everything will be deleted passwords will go away, because you did remote security wipe, and then you cannot trace the device because you wiped the device and BlackBerry ID deleted,
    MODS CAN YOU PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 11:05 PM
    Obviously this guy didn't read my note about an outstanding issue Re: location services and blackberry protect. Oh well.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 12:04 AM
    Protect.blackberry.com , uses your BlackBerry ID, this site for recover lost blackberry if you turned it on in your device and your device is open and Internet working on it, it will track your device
    My device was connected to wifi with the BlackBerry data services symbol displayed, location services were turned on, and I was logged in to protect.blackberry.com and it didn't work properly. It never located my device on the map, displayed the warning message I sent it about an hour later, and never played the lost device sound.

When I returned to the US and tried again with the cell network on, it seemed to be working great, although I didn't try the lost device sound since I was in a crowded airport at the time.

I know how Protect is supposed to work, and I know it's not the most reliable method around. This was established by Crackberry awhile ago. Not sure why you want the Mods to shut this thread down WHEN EVERYTHING I SAID IS TRUE.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 02:37 AM
    Not sure why the thread should be shut down either! We are discussing security features of blackberry phones and the best course of action should you lose it.
    In a blackberry orientated forum, really?

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 04:36 AM
    BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    Last edited by chiphazard; 11-23-13 at 07:19 AM.
    11-23-13 04:59 AM
    I am suspicious if anyone asking questions like this when answers readily available online. It's trolling to try and get angry response.

Google question/issue first.

Solution, get a grip and don't lose your BlackBerry, simple.

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    If that's the case the troll failed miserably and might as well just fade away. If not then the op just got a well balanced response from the always helpful, friendly people here at crackberry.

See my earlier post regarding losing your phone. My friend was late for a train and was looking through her handbag at the counter, put her phone down and left it, Or, it fell out of her bag on the train. Either way I'm sure she "had a grip". Accidents are by their very nature, an accident.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 06:09 AM
    I tested out BB protect. Worked great. Locked my phone with a password remotely. Played a sound. Displayed on a map where my phone was down a meter or two. It worked really well.
    11-23-13 07:40 AM
    I tested out BB protect. Worked great. Locked my phone with a password remotely. Played a sound. Displayed on a map where my phone was down a meter or two. It worked really well.
    But if they wipe the phone could you still do that?

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 08:15 AM
    But if they wipe the phone could you still do that?

Posted via CB10
    If they wipe the phone, protect will not find it or communicate with it. Once the BlackBerry ID is changed on the phone, protect does not connect to it unless you connect to it with the new BlackBerry ID.

For Protect to work, you need to initiate the remote find or wipe before the phone is off the network or has been security wiped. In other words, use the Protect web site the minute you realise you have lost your phone and either wipe it or retrieve it.

Posted via CB10
    AWB70 likes this.
    11-24-13 12:48 PM
    I suppose once the phone is wiped either by yourself or the person who has it your stuff is secure. A strong case there for not saving sensitive stuff to your memory card.
    In my friends experience everyone on her BBM contact list was bombarding the phone with messages saying it wasn't their phone, don't suppose that would work now with bbm being able to cross devices. Would be a great security feature if when a new BBID was associated with the pin of a device you had to remove the previous BBID from the phone by entering the old login in details first so people selling the phone could release it.
    Doesn't sound like something that would be too hard to implement.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:56 AM
    Follow-up on this issue:

Let's say your phone is stolen in New York City. The theif can take your phone into the subway, enter an incorrect password 10 times. The phone will autowipe.

Now, in a matter of minutes (about as long it takes for the phone to autowipe) the thief has a new Blackberry to use or sell.

Based on this scenario this autowipe business is a mistake!! Change is needed and not by a third party app.
    11-26-13 12:46 PM
    I may be way off the mark but my suggestion sounds feasible. If the device is registered to a BBID and another BBID is used on the same device you have to put the old one in first to free it up.
    If you want to sell the device you could just release it from your id. Is that not how it used to happen?

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 05:50 PM
    Set a device password and a lock-screen time-out. Register the device with BlackBerry Protect. Encrypt the media card if it contains anything personal or private. Encrypt the device's system memory if any personal or private information is stored on the device. Record the device IMEI, serial number, and PIN.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    11-26-13 08:40 PM