I was reading a thread about someone who got their Z10 stolen.

And this made me think. Assuming there is a password, and the phone is locked when the thief picks it up, even a very knowledgeable person would not be able to crack into a Blackberry 10 phone.

Link won't do it, it asks for a password. Unless the reset button overrides that.

An Autoloader also won't do it, it also asks for the password.

Regardless those two methods don't security wipe.

The only way to remove the password is to security wipe, which a thief would not be able to get into.

So assuming it is locked and the owner does not remotely wipe with protect. That makes it unable to be used again, correct?

All a thief can do at that point is scrap it for parts. Which is a much harder and lower value sell.

Or am I wrong and there is a way to secure wipe a device with your average hardware (I assume blackberry or anyone with high end hardware can do it)

Maybe a custom autoloader? Or perhaps link will still wipe?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 11:04 PM
    Get password wrong, phone wipes itself. Phone can now be used.

The national Canadian IMEI blacklist is much better if the phone is stolen within Canada and stays within Canada.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 11:09 PM
    Get password wrong, phone wipes itself. Phone can now be used.

The national Canadian IMEI blacklist is much better if the phone is stolen within Canada and stays within Canada.

Posted via CB10
    I derped. You are correct. I knew I must have been forgetting something.

IMEI list it is!

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 11:11 PM
    I derped. You are correct. I knew I must have been forgetting something.

IMEI list it is!

Posted via CB10
    The only issue is that in the above case, the phone could very easily be moved out of Canada and therefore blacklist does nothing.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 11:13 PM
    The only issue is that in the above case, the phone could very easily be moved out of Canada and therefore blacklist does nothing.

Posted via CB10
    I believe I recall reading that you could get blackberry to block the pin.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 11:28 PM
    Pretty much if you get physical access to a phone, you can get through one and reload whatever you need and reuse the phone. The great part about Blackberry is that, they can't access the information that is in the phone, which is great.
    But if you do lose your phone, it's better to get the IMEI and PIN blocked.
    06-30-14 11:37 PM
    Get the pin blocked and the phone is nothing but a paperweight. Useless to anyone on the planet. No matter what sim you use.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    mas_quemex and Reed Richards like this.
    06-30-14 11:43 PM
    My Link doenst ask for password. Strange...

I have password set on my phone and Link never asked for it when I was connecting via WiFi.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 11:44 PM
    I believe I recall reading that you could get blackberry to block the pin.

Posted via CB10
    Yes that's right. Although do they do this for all consumers?

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 12:03 AM
    Bro any stolen phone is pretty much a brick! Times have changed. Sucks but whatever

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 12:21 AM
    Over here, if you get your phone stolen, just report it to the carrier and they block the imei immediately so it cannot be used.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175 O2 UK
    07-01-14 12:50 AM
    I like Apples approach better:

The OS must be in touch with Apples servers (iCloud) to be activated after a wipe. The device serial is the verified against a database and if previously registered, you must activate using same username (email) and password.

No reason to spend time calling carriers or BlackBerry - it's just there and it works.

You could argue it would lead to robberies where the victim is forced to unregister the device from iCloyd but I doubt it. Apple has really nailed it and BlackBerry should consider the same.

Posted via CB10
    harshadpatel and ssbtech like this.
    07-01-14 01:09 AM
    I like Apples approach better:

The OS must be in touch with Apples servers (iCloud) to be activated after a wipe. The device serial is the verified against a database and if previously registered, you must activate using same username (email) and password.

No reason to spend time calling carriers or BlackBerry - it's just there and it works.

You could argue it would lead to robberies where the victim is forced to unregister the device from iCloyd but I doubt it. Apple has really nailed it and BlackBerry should consider the same.

Posted via CB10
    If your iPhone is stolen, you'd call your carrier and report it anyway so it makes no difference. If you have a password on your BlackBerry and the thief wipes it by incorrect pin, they don't have your personal information and as I say, if any handset gets stolen, the obligatory call to your carrier will prevent it being used on your account. I don't see any real difference in practice.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175 O2 UK
    07-01-14 04:01 AM
    stolen phones are mostly sold as parts now, less risk, less money but noone cares about the protection of the phone
    07-01-14 05:16 AM
    stolen phones are mostly sold as parts now, less risk, less money but noone cares about the protection of the phone
    This.

A year ago I accompanied a youth group to a water park. We told them not to bring valuables, but you know. Some were stolen, but the thieves were spotted and apprehended. The police recovered a number of devices they couldn't identify, so they asked me to go through the devices with them to see if I could link them to my group. You wouldn't believe he beat up these things were. You wouldn't get five bucks for them except on the refurbishment / parts market. But being in possession of them turned out to be very costly.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 08:21 AM
    If password is entered too many times incorrectly it will wipe and remove the password.

If you call your provider they can put an imei block which means it can not be used on that provider for any service. But if has or gets a carrier unlock it can be used on another carrier.

If BlackBerry puts a pin block it can not be used for data services on any provider in any country.
    Can still be used for phone and SMS on another provider.

Can also be used as a calculator PDA as is. So it is never really a complete brick. But Noone would want to buy that.... except parts.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.710
    07-01-14 12:55 PM
    Apple's approach is better in the sense that the device is useless even if you wipe it hundred times, when you try to log onto the device it asks for an Internet connection and then it forces you to log in with your iCloud credentials. This means the phone will be totally useless. On blackberry the only thing that will happen is that your device will get wiped after using an incorrect password, but the phone will be useful after that, if you blacklist it with the carrier, still it will be useful overseas.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 08:17 AM
    Here's something weird. On my z10 I tried typing my password 10 times incorrectly and it did wipe but when it booted back up it asked for the password again.
    That's what I love about my phone.

Via CB10 on Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.296
    mas_quemex likes this.
    07-02-14 08:27 AM
    Here's something weird. On my z10 I tried typing my password 10 times incorrectly and it did wipe but when it booted back up it asked for the password again.

That's on 10.3?

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 08:31 AM
    Working as intended. The password does not reset with wipes. I wish people would try things, before declaring them as fact.

07-02-14 08:32 AM

same for me. Think this is awesome. But I rememeber that for one time I used an autloader for a leaked OS and didnt need to enter the password. I can't remember which one it was, but I was so shocked that it stays in my mind
    07-02-14 08:35 AM
    Apple's approach is better in the sense that the device is useless even if you wipe it hundred times, when you try to log onto the device it asks for an Internet connection and then it forces you to log in with your iCloud credentials. This means the phone will be totally useless. On blackberry the only thing that will happen is that your device will get wiped after using an incorrect password, but the phone will be useful after that, if you blacklist it with the carrier, still it will be useful overseas.

Posted via CB10
    when you block phone pin - it is the same - it is useless anywhere in the world.
    07-02-14 08:35 AM
    Working as intended. The password does not reset with wipes. I wish people would try things, before declaring them as fact.
    So it's my bad, I just remember doing it on 10.1 and it didn't ask for password after the wipe. Gonna try it again.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 08:43 AM
    when you block phone pin - it is the same - it is useless anywhere in the world.
    What's the difference between the pin and the imei?
    07-02-14 08:51 AM
    That's on 10.3?

Posted via CB10
    On both 10.3 and 10.2

07-02-14 09:00 AM
40 12