What if your blackberry 10 phone got stolen by someone who knows BB10OS? Even though your cellphone is locked, he can put it on bedside mode and sneak out without your phone even ringing if you try to call your number.
    Just a thought. Any opinions?

 Posted from my Passport 
    Q10Bold likes this.
    04-04-15 04:57 AM
    What if your blackberry 10 phone got stolen by someone who knows BB10OS? Even though your cellphone is locked, he can put it on bedside mode and sneak out without your phone even ringing if you try to call your number.

Well if my phone was stolen, I wouldn't blame my phone. You know who.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    04-04-15 05:17 AM
    Sure, but in terms of security don't you think that once you try to put it in bedside mode it should ask for a password or picture password?

04-04-15 05:19 AM
    Sure, but in terms of security don't you think that once you try to put it in bedside mode it should ask for a password or picture password?

Why?
    jchemma likes this.
    04-04-15 06:27 AM
    If the person knew BB10, he would also know that you can enable sound from Profile Settings for Bedside mode, that person won't know if you have Sound switched on or not.
    04-04-15 06:32 AM
    My phone was stolen yesterday and I found it by BlackBerry Protect. I haven't tried if the alarm will sound if you have bedtime on. Will check and let you know

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 06:33 AM
    Haven't seen the option to activate sound in bedside mode. Checking right now. Can't afford to lose my passport.

04-04-15 07:21 AM
    Turning it off would work even better, and they wouldn't even have to know BB10 to do that.
    04-04-15 07:27 AM
    Haven't seen the option to activate sound in bedside mode. Checking right now. Can't afford to lose my passport.

It's part of Customise App notifications, you choose phone, turn sound on then check override profile volume
    04-04-15 07:43 AM

Please, no.

But seriously, what's the scenario? First, if someone has the BlackBerry and it's locked, why should they really care about putting it in bedside mode? And if there is a care, why not turn it off instead? It can be turned off when locked. Should there be a password to turn it off?.... Don't answer that. .... But, second, no one is going to have my BlackBerry unless I've lost it, or I'm dead. I don't lose my BlackBerry. But either way, it will be locked with a strong password and encrypted, and backed up.

Someone being able to put the device in bedside mode while it is locked may be the least of my worries.
    PHughes likes this.
    04-05-15 03:00 PM
    I am worried my phone can be stolen by someone who know Blackberry and knows they can remove my battery. Even though it's locked, they can still remove the battery. Do t you think the battery compartment should lock if the phone is locked? You should at least require a password to remove the battery.

And if it is in bedside mode, Blackberry knows you'll probably be sleeping. They should have made it so the phone could not be picked up if it is in Bedside mode. They could make it so gravity is enhanced in the area around the phone so it could not be picked up. I'm seriously considering an iPhone since apples will fall on your head like what happened to Newton and will knock out anyone who tries to steal it.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 03:19 PM
    I just happened to click on another thread where password to turn off was suggested, and endorsed.

Oh well. I hope BlackBerry isn't paying attention. I weigh efficiency versus security, and the odds that I'm going to get three sheets to the wind in a pub and lose my BlackBerry. My preferred solution is to avoid risky behavior, but that's me.

Well, if BlackBerry does this I'm sure they'll add an option to disable just as they did for other "improvements".
    PHughes likes this.
    04-05-15 03:37 PM
    Soooo...you'd wake up, see your phone is missing in your room, and you want to call it to hear if on the person who stole it...in your bedroom ? Is this person still just sitting there ? Do you think your roommates would steal it? Log on BlackBerry Protect and make it make the loudest, most annoying sound ever for 60 seconds ? Locate it?

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 04:02 PM

I think its a very good question- thanks for that. Now my bedside mode got data mode on :/
    But anyway- thanks.

Posted via Q10Bold
    04-05-15 04:23 PM
    Lol what
    04-05-15 04:30 PM
    Lol what
    If you tunr everything off and put bedside mode on, BB Protect wont work...

Posted via Q10Bold
    04-05-15 05:04 PM
    I would be MUCH more concerned with someone breaking into my house and sneaking up to me while I was sleeping..... Hmmmm.

I'm aware bedside mode is used for other times, just think this is silly.
    If your concerned, password protected your device. If it's stolen, your data is secured.

Z30-Z30-Z10-Q10-9900-9900-Playbook-x3
    PHughes likes this.
    04-05-15 05:26 PM
    Don't jinx yourself with stupid questions

Posted via CB10
    PHughes likes this.
    04-05-15 07:58 PM
    Your best bet while sleeping with your phone in Bedside Mode, would be to place the phone in a special holster that allows the screen to be seen, and attach the holster to the collar of a trained Pit Bull or German Shepard. Don't try this with a Chihuahua because the weight of the phone will break the dog's neck. (Don't ask how I know.)
    der_mit likes this.
    04-06-15 08:59 AM
    I think you are not getting it right. The problem is real and even if for most of the customers this is not so important, there are many scenarios that would put you in trouble when someone turn on bedtime mode or turn of your phone.

When your phone is locked with password it should stay locked, period.

And not only this. If someone enter 10 times wrong password the phone wipes and can be used by anyone and BlackBerry protect will not find it.

BlackBerry should add these options in settings so everyone can choose what type of protection needs!

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 09:27 AM
    There should be a password to turn it off, that way, the phone can be located no matter what, unless there is no coverage or low battery ( non removable)

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 09:46 AM
    Anybody that's knows bbos knows once the phone is off there's no tracking it. I guess from an enterprise point of view only the data on the device is valuable. But as a consumer, if your phone is stolen you little to no chance of recovering it.

Whether or not you have a password on it the average phone thief wants the phone for themselves or to sell all they do is throw away the sim and wipe the phone (enter the password incorrectly 10 times) and it's all theirs. BlackBerry should have implemented bb protect to link via bb pins and not bbid that way even if they wiped the data off the phone we could still track it when it goes online.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 10:03 AM
    By the way, thread title is misleading... your bbry was not stolen, you're asking hypothetical question, so please change the title...

Posted via CB10 with my Z10 (Z10STL100-2/10.3.1.2243)
    04-06-15 10:25 AM
    The person doesn't need to know a thing about BlackBerry. Most would just turn the phone off as soon as they get it. Problem solved for them. In the end it doesn't matter if it's in bedside mode or not. They would care. Take up phone, power it off.
    Nothing to waste time worrying about.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 10:38 AM
    Anybody that's knows bbos knows once the phone is off there's no tracking it. I guess from an enterprise point of view only the data on the device is valuable.

Posted via CB10
    I believe that this is the only reasonable explanation for wiping the phone. But at least we should have an option.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 11:04 AM
27 12