I doubt most would pay for an android app. It's great for free apps and amazon giveaways but if you're going to charge then it needs to be native.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed

I would pay for this app if it was native or worked just as good as it does now if he did a simple android air port.

Posted via Z30 on CB10
    10-08-14 04:43 PM
    I am going to miss Speed Tester...

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 04:46 PM
    Is the TuneIn app in BlackBerry World an Air app?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 10:59 PM
    Alex replied to me yay!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 12:46 PM
    Alex replied to me yay!

Posted via CB10
    ...and?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 01:02 PM
    Alex replied to me yay!

Posted via CB10
    Plans for cascades version?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 01:09 PM
    Hi all, Its been a while... I was brought here by an email from one of you amazing Crackberry fans

I am the developer of the Stocks app and yes, its written in Adobe Air. Blackberry had encouraged developers to build apps with Adobe Air and had even written many apps themselves in Air for the Playbook and Original BB10 OS. The entire settings menu of BB10 was originally written in Air. They also gave the "Built for Blackberry" Status for apps that were written in Air.
    Its really sad and unfortunate to see Blackberry kill off support for Air. I have downloaded the 10.3.1 simulator as well as the leaked OS for the Q10 and made a few changes that seem to be working on the Q10 and the simulator running 10.3.1. Unfortunately, I had to remove the active frame feature which was one of my favorite parts of the app.

With that being said 10.3.1 still seems to be running Air but the native support for Active Frame, pulling up the sharing menu, and swiping from top to open the settings menu is gone in 10.3.1.

I will be releasing this version soon which still uses Adobe Air and is packaged as a .BAR file. I don't know if Blackberry will approve it but we will see what happens. I am also in the process of fixing a few UI issues with the Passport.

As far as native development goes, I don't have the time to re-write the app in Cascades/learn cascades. I might take the HTML5/JavaScript approach which would then allow me to truly make my app cross platform.

Please stay tuned. Thanks for the all the feedback and support.
    10-11-14 01:13 PM
    Fantastic news, thanks. This is one of my indispensable apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 02:20 PM
    Hi all, Its been a while... I was brought here by an email from one of you amazing Crackberry fans

I am the developer of the Stocks app and yes, its written in Adobe Air. Blackberry had encouraged developers to build apps with Adobe Air and had even written many apps themselves in Air for the Playbook and Original BB10 OS. The entire settings menu of BB10 was originally written in Air. They also gave the "Built for Blackberry" Status for apps that were written in Air.
    Its really sad and unfortunate to see Blackberry kill off support for Air. I have downloaded the 10.3.1 simulator as well as the leaked OS for the Q10 and made a few changes that seem to be working on the Q10 and the simulator running 10.3.1. Unfortunately, I had to remove the active frame feature which was one of my favorite parts of the app.

With that being said 10.3.1 still seems to be running Air but the native support for Active Frame, pulling up the sharing menu, and swiping from top to open the settings menu is gone in 10.3.1.

I will be releasing this version soon which still uses Adobe Air and is packaged as a .BAR file. I don't know if Blackberry will approve it but we will see what happens. I am also in the process of fixing a few UI issues with the Passport.

As far as native development goes, I don't have the time to re-write the app in Cascades/learn cascades. I might take the HTML5/JavaScript approach which would then allow me to truly make my app cross platform.

Thanks for letting us know. I've always liked the app.

I'm not a developer myself, but can you not just take your existing air code and repackage it as an android app?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    10-11-14 02:40 PM
    Yes, I already tried that. I still have to make changes for it to work properly as an android app. That will be my last option if this doesnt work.
    10-11-14 05:06 PM
    Yes, I already tried that. I still have to make changes for it to work properly as an android app. That will be my last option if this doesnt work.
    And merci to make it the last option.
    You'll have a few users as me that don't use Android apps that much...
    Thanks for your efforts, appreciated here too.
    10-11-14 05:18 PM
    I'd pay 10 bucks to get this app on my phone right now! 10.3.1 just ain't the same without it. Thank you dev and let's hope you can bring this on board natively.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 09:20 PM

Thanks for taking the time to look into all of this Alex. You're one of the few devs to reply to emails quickly and keep us posted. Really appreciate it.

Paul.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 11:36 PM
    I'd pay 10 bucks to get this app on my phone right now! 10.3.1 just ain't the same without it. Thank you dev and let's hope you can bring this on board natively.

Posted via CB10
    Also happy to pay up if it's there by the time they release 10.3.1 The gratitude one feels for not being abandoned is simply enourmous
    10-12-14 07:15 AM

Thanks for your support and feedback Alex!!

Do you have a file I can load to test it on 10.3.1?

I installed a leak last week but ended up going back to stock 10.2.1. I'll load up 10.3.1 again if you're looking for another tester or would like to share before it gets approved by bbworld?

Thanks!

Posted via Z30 on CB10
    10-14-14 05:43 PM
    Is the 1.5.1 working on 10.3.1? is it possible to set up a donation for Alex?
    10-28-14 11:07 AM
    Thanks Alex. If you'd consider a Stocks 2 version written in cascades or something I'd gladly buy the app again.
    Stocks is the best stocks app because of the news feeds and data shown. I've tried a few others in the recent days and they don't compare.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.938 CB10
    10-28-14 12:34 PM
    Thanks for update

Stocks was an app I used to use

Q10 - 10.3.1.938
    10-28-14 12:53 PM
    Thanks Alex. If you'd consider a Stocks 2 version written in cascades or something I'd gladly buy the app again.

Stocks is the best stocks app because of the news feeds and data shown. I've tried a few others in the recent days and they don't compare.

So is it working for 10.3.1 now?
    10-28-14 06:00 PM
    And this is why some good BB10 apps will simply vanish off the map, their developers have been messed around by BlackBerry too many times so they've either already abandoned their app or will now decide to.

Oh, you wrote your app using the Adobe Air runtime we committed to last year but we're abandoning this year? No problem, just come back and rewrite your app all over again, you know you wanna? What's that you say? You don't wanna and we can go <cough> ourselves?

Oh, you wrote your app in native Cascades? The framework we have pulled all funding for from our developer relations program in favour of just getting you to make an Android app instead? No problem, just come back and rewrite your app all over again, you know you wanna? What's that you say? You don't wanna and we can go <cough> ourselves?

Etc. Etc. Chen is no Balmer when it comes to "Developers! Developers! Developers!".

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    Well, Adobe Air was the only thing they pulled as it was outdated coding anyway, cumbersome and didn't run as smooth as cascades.
    You don't need to rewrite for android, Cascades apps (QML/C++) HTML5 apps etc still work and run fine. It doesn't take much to rewrite your app into the cascades framework.
    BlackBerry did not pull support from developing. And, they gave Adobe Air developers plenty of time, help and resources to re write and port their existing code over.

What OS I'm on is my business, get off my NUTS! Ex-BerryLeaks member (best group ever) Current Peevishlicious crew 'Enforcer'
    10-28-14 10:44 PM
    And the notion that developers need to now change a Cascades app to an Android app makes no sense either.
    NOT the case, you dnt have to change Cascades apps to android...this is a misconception. Cascades apps are still very much alive and encouraged

What OS I'm on is my business, get off my NUTS! Ex-BerryLeaks member (best group ever) Current Peevishlicious crew 'Enforcer'
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    10-28-14 10:46 PM
    This socks! I use that app religiously!

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 12:05 AM
    So is it working for 10.3.1 now?
    It worked on 10.3, but doesn't work on 10.3.1

10-29-14 02:42 AM

Thanks for the effort man!
    Really looking forward to use tha app again. I'm on 10.3.1 and really miss the app. For me it was one the best stock apps, which was damn easy to use.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 02:54 AM
    Stocks for BlackBerry is a great app but it has been LONG abandoned by its developer, way before the announcement of adobe air being pulled from 10.3.1

I use this app everyday too. There's no other app on BBW, bloomberg included, which provides updates on pre and post market trading and a great RSS/news feed from yahoo and google finance.

I hope another dev will rise to the occasion.

How can we have a business centric phonr with no great stock app?

Posted via CB10
    This comment is the exact reason I loved Stocks

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 03:12 AM
65 123