So I just tried runnig stocks for BB10 on the 10.3.1 build. It says that the runtime is no longer supported. Does this mean the app will be obsolete in the final 10.3.1 (adobe air?) ? It's the best app there is so kind of a problem. since there are no desent alternatives.
    10-01-14 05:43 PM
    So I just tried runnig stocks for BB10 on the 10.3.1 build. It says that the runtime is no longer supported. Does this mean the app will be obsolete in the final 10.3.1 (adobe air?) ? It's the best app there is so kind of a problem. since there are no desent alternatives.
    Yes it will be obsolete unless the developer repackaged it as a android app. Or recoded with cascades.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    10-01-14 05:47 PM
    And this is why some good BB10 apps will simply vanish off the map, their developers have been messed around by BlackBerry too many times so they've either already abandoned their app or will now decide to.

Oh, you wrote your app using the Adobe Air runtime we committed to last year but we're abandoning this year? No problem, just come back and rewrite your app all over again, you know you wanna? What's that you say? You don't wanna and we can go <cough> ourselves?

Oh, you wrote your app in native Cascades? The framework we have pulled all funding for from our developer relations program in favour of just getting you to make an Android app instead? No problem, just come back and rewrite your app all over again, you know you wanna? What's that you say? You don't wanna and we can go <cough> ourselves?

Etc. Etc. Chen is no Balmer when it comes to "Developers! Developers! Developers!".

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    10-01-14 10:23 PM
    Try bloomberg. It's free and better imo.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 10:26 PM
    adobe air was horrible btw - glad they abandoned it, but feel bad for the devs that used it.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    10-01-14 10:30 PM
    And this is why some good BB10 apps will simply vanish off the map, their developers have been messed around by BlackBerry too many times so they've either already abandoned their app or will now decide to.

Oh, you wrote your app using the Adobe Air runtime we committed to last year but we're abandoning this year? No problem, just come back and rewrite your app all over again, you know you wanna? What's that you say? You don't wanna and we can go <cough> ourselves?

Oh, you wrote your app in native Cascades? The framework we have pulled all funding for from our developer relations program in favour of just getting you to make an Android app instead? No problem, just come back and rewrite your app all over again, you know you wanna? What's that you say? You don't wanna and we can go <cough> ourselves?

Etc. Etc. Chen is no Balmer when it comes to "Developers! Developers! Developers!".

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    Huh. That's not the case. Repackaging to Android wouldn't require recoding everything. Because android still supports adobe air.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    10-02-14 12:06 AM
    Still lame argument why don't BlackBerry just leave it then even if they want to abandon it from their system (settings etc). Like stocks better than bloomberg. Bloomberg is Bloomberg centric. However the main point is that team BlackBerry is hostile towards native developers.
    Huh. That's not the case. Repackaging to Android wouldn't require recoding everything. Because android still supports adobe air.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    10-02-14 03:12 AM
    Still lame argument why don't BlackBerry just leave it then even if they want to abandon it from their system (settings etc). Like stocks better than bloomberg. Bloomberg is Bloomberg centric. However the main point is that team BlackBerry is hostile towards native developers.
    Native would of been a cascades app. I don't consider adobe air apps native. I think the main reason for abandoning adobe air is licensing costs.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    10-02-14 08:13 AM
    Does Stocks for BB10 work on 10.3?

That is one of my most used apps and I'm looking to upgrade from 10.2.1 to either 10.3 or 10.3.1 today so this will be a big deciding factor if it works on one but not the other
    10-02-14 11:47 AM
    Does Stocks for BB10 work on 10.3?

That is one of my most used apps and I'm looking to upgrade from 10.2.1 to either 10.3 or 10.3.1 today so this will be a big deciding factor if it works on one but not the other
    Works on 10.3 not 10.3.1

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Big_Ern likes this.
    10-02-14 11:55 AM
    Well on 10.3 you can't see the traded volume for a stock unless you have a wide Passport. This is obsolete information I know. But if you know the stock it does give you a feel for how busy it is on the induvidual trading day...
    10-02-14 02:46 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    And the notion that developers need to now change a Cascades app to an Android app makes no sense either.
    10-02-14 02:53 PM
    It has been on the public road map for over 6 months. It is a simple repackaging to make it run on android.

Why have two air runtimes running at the same time? A waste of resources, and licensing fees.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-02-14 02:58 PM
    And the notion that developers need to now change a Cascades app to an Android app makes no sense either.
    They don't need to change a Cascades app to an Android app. Where did you get that piece of information? They need to repackage Air apps into Android apps.
    10-02-14 03:06 PM
    They don't need to change a Cascades app to an Android app. Where did you get that piece of information? They need to repackage Air apps into Android apps.
    From Johnnyuk -

"Oh, you wrote your app in native Cascades? The framework we have pulled all funding for from our developer relations program in favour of just getting you to make an Android app instead? No problem, just come back and rewrite your app all over again, you know you wanna? What's that you say? You don't wanna and we can go <cough> ourselves? "

So much drama around here.
    10-02-14 03:28 PM
    Stocks for BlackBerry is a great app but it has been LONG abandoned by its developer, way before the announcement of adobe air being pulled from 10.3.1

I use this app everyday too. There's no other app on BBW, bloomberg included, which provides updates on pre and post market trading and a great RSS/news feed from yahoo and google finance.

I hope another dev will rise to the occasion.

How can we have a business centric phonr with no great stock app?

Posted via CB10
    Signhere and NickMcBride like this.
    10-02-14 03:57 PM
    Stocks for BlackBerry is a great app but it has been LONG abandoned by its developer, way before the announcement of adobe air being pulled from 10.3.1

I use this app everyday too. There's no other app on BBW, bloomberg included, which provides updates on pre and post market trading and a great RSS/news feed from yahoo and google finance.

I hope another dev will rise to the occasion.

How can we have a business centric phonr with no great stock app?

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Those were some great features of the app. I would be willing to pay for the app if the developer updated his app to cascades

Does anyone know a good android stock app with similar features that we can use in place of this?

Posted via Z30 on CB10
    10-02-14 04:19 PM
    Shall we send him an email showing our support and interest of a cascades app?

This is his support email:
    [email protected]

Linkin:
    http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alex-garipian/6/613/348

Posted via CB10
    Pkimmd likes this.
    10-02-14 04:32 PM
    I've already sent a mail but the more the merrier so he knows I'm not just a lonely ranger.
    10-02-14 04:38 PM
    Or may I suggest we don't make him reinvent the wheel? After neglecting the app for so long, I doubt he would want to put in the resources to redevelop the app from scratch. It would be infinitely easier to simply port the existing air app to Android.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    10-02-14 04:42 PM
    From Johnnyuk -

"Oh, you wrote your app in native Cascades? The framework we have pulled all funding for from our developer relations program in favour of just getting you to make an Android app instead? No problem, just come back and rewrite your app all over again, you know you wanna? What's that you say? You don't wanna and we can go <cough> ourselves? "

So much drama around here.
    Yeah. That is SO much BS. Cascades developer tools are going forward. There are all kinds of resources and no need to rewrite or stop developing for Cascades.
    10-02-14 04:48 PM
    Isn't it still a task only he can do? Don't know about abandonment last fix was for the Z30 screen size things are happening now but apart from that not much have happened since.
    Besides the app is still better than for instance stocks for android,. And if works flawlessly for the passport on 10.3 just not the other units
    Or may I suggest we don't make him reinvent the wheel? After neglecting the app for so long, I doubt he would want to put in the resources to redevelop the app from scratch. It would be infinitely easier to simply port the existing air app to Android.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    10-02-14 04:53 PM
    Isn't it still a task only he can do? Don't know about abandonment last fix was for the Z30 screen size things are happening now but apart from that not much have happened since.
    Besides the app is still better than for instance stocks for android,. And if works flawlessly for the passport on 10.3 just not the other units
    I guess you haven't been following the conversation.

Adobe Air is being abandoned by BB10 starting from 10.3.1 going forward. It works on the Passport because it still uses the older 10.3.0 which does support Air.

My point is that the Android Runtime on the BlackBerry also supports Adobe Air. It is a fairly easy thing to do to port a BB10 Air app to "Android Air" (for lack of a better term).

However, to recode the entire app to run natively in BB10 would be essentially starting over. Unlikely given the developer's current level of involvement with the app.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    10-02-14 05:32 PM
    I've already sent a mail but the more the merrier so he knows I'm not just a lonely ranger.
    I've sent a pretty long email explaining that BB10 userbase is now growing, enterprise focus, the classic, strong demand for the passport and etc.

Hopefully he'll see value.

Posted via CB10
    Graheem, Jakob Greve and moosbb like this.
    10-02-14 05:49 PM
    I doubt most would pay for an android app. It's great for free apps and amazon giveaways but if you're going to charge then it needs to be native.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 08:05 PM
65 123