I agree they could monetize their BB10 IP in chunks rather than as a whole. But again, if they intended to kill off BB10 as a mobile platform it would have made much more sense and saved them much more money to do so long before now.

Your question is irrelevant. I'm not a tech company, nor are you. You'll have to ask the third parties who have expressed interest in licensing BB10 what their ideas are for its future.

Just because you cannot conceive of a scenario where BB10 lives on in new smartphones does not mean it cannot or will not happen.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    If they didn't intend to kill off BB10.... wouldn't they be working to improve it or it's ecosystem?

BB10's value as an OS... is depreciating every day that developers move away from it, every day users move away from it. And every day it falls further behind what other mobile OS are capable of...

Talk is cheap... "we have two "patches coming", "we are committed to BB10", "we are looking into licensing BB10". That doesn't follow what they are DOING with BB10 - they basically told developers it's all over. They aren't planning to use BB10 themselves for anything. And they don't seem to be working to improve the product so that others can use it.

And what good is BB10 at this point? Many here want to belive there is a market for a high security OS without Apps... yet BlackBerry hasn't shown that such a market exists in any volume to make it worthwhile. BB10 is _____, BlackPhone isn't selling well.... and every day more iDevices show up in these "security" customers hands. Tizen is going after the low end market that supposedly doesn't need apps... so there isn't much room for a licensable OS there..... besides Tizen seems to be running out of gas too.

And sadly I doubt anyone wants to put BB10 in a TV or Blue-Ray Player... due to it's not compatible with the base drivers and it doesn't have an ecosystem.

But if you see a scenario where someone could pay for BB10's development, cover all the associated cost for deploying it (drivers, licensing, marketing, 3rd party apps, support).... and still be competitive and able to capture enough of a customer base to make it a business. Please share it....

10-20-16 08:38 AM
    [QUOTE=Dunt Dunt Dunt;12633418]

If they didn't intend to kill off BB10.... wouldn't they be working to improve it or it's ecosystem?

BB10's value as an OS... is depreciating every day that developers move away from it, every day users move away from it. And every day it falls further behind what other mobile OS are capable of...

Talk is cheap... "we have two "patches coming", "we are committed to BB10", "we are looking into licensing BB10". That doesn't follow what they are DOING with BB10 - they basically told developers it's all over. They aren't planning to use BB10 themselves for anything. And they don't seem to be working to improve the product so that others can use it.

And what good is BB10 at this point? Many here want to belive there is a market for a high security OS without Apps... yet BlackBerry hasn't shown that such a market exists in any volume to make it worthwhile. BB10 is _____, BlackPhone isn't selling well.... and every day more iDevices show up in these "security" customers hands. Tizen is going after the low end market that supposedly doesn't need apps... so there isn't much room for a licensable OS there..... besides Tizen seems to be running out of gas too.

And sadly I doubt anyone wants to put BB10 in a TV or Blue-Ray Player... due to it's not compatible with the base drivers and it doesn't have an ecosystem.

But if you see a scenario where someone could pay for BB10's development, cover all the associated cost for deploying it (drivers, licensing, marketing, 3rd party apps, support).... and still be competitive and able to capture enough of a customer base to make it a business. Please share it....

Just because you cannot conceive of a scenario where a third party licenses BB10 and releases it on new handsets doesn't mean it cannot or will not happen.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-20-16 09:15 AM
    And sadly I doubt anyone wants to put BB10 in a TV or Blue-Ray Player... due to it's not compatible with the base drivers and it doesn't have an ecosystem..
    I want BB10 in a toaster. I have the phrase Swipe Up for Toast in my head and I want that to become a reality.
    10-20-16 09:59 AM
    This

[QUOTE=Dunt Dunt Dunt;12633418]

10-20-16 10:31 AM
    [QUOTE=Newfangled;12633442]

Just because you cannot conceive of a scenario where a third party licenses BB10 and releases it on new handsets doesn't mean it cannot or will not happen.

Have you conceived of a scenario where they would?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-20-16 10:51 AM
    [QUOTE=Dunt Dunt Dunt;12633594]

Have you conceived of a scenario where they would?
    I wouldn't venture to guess. And it's irrelevant. I'm not trying to pass off my opinions regarding the future of BB10 as incontrovertible truth. I'm merely pointing out facts that some are continually ignoring or downplaying, such as the facts that EOL for BB10 has not been officially announced, that more OS updates are coming, that BlackBerry has repeatedly reaffirmed its commitment to BB10, that top brass at BlackBerry have stated there has been interest from third parties in licensing BB10, and that they are actively exploring opportunities to monetize BB10.

You'll have to ask BlackBerry and the interested third parties about their ideas for BB10's future.

BB10 is still my favorite mobile platform, but if EOL was announced tomorrow I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I'm content to keep using my BB10 devices as long as they meet my requirements and provide the experience I expect from them. What's wrong with that? And why the need to constantly rag on BB10?

You know what BB10-is-dead doom-and-gloomers remind me of? This:

10-20-16 11:37 AM
    You know what BB10-is-dead doom-and-gloomers remind me of? This:

Conversely:

StephanieMaks and JeepBB like this.
    10-20-16 11:40 AM
    A major roadblock to open-sourcing webOS was that some components of the OS were licensed from other companies so HP couldn't actually open source all of it. I'm sure BB10 has components that are licensed from other companies so, in all likelihood, BlackBerry probably can't license the entire OS to another company.
    10-20-16 11:44 AM
    Conversely:

Funny! Mine is more accurate, though.
    10-20-16 11:46 AM
    They also stated they are actively exploring third party licensing agreements for BB10 and have repeatedly reaffirmed their commitment to the platform.

 Z30

Dream on but this reality:
    http://crackberry.com/fyi-blackberry...-or-windows-10

It's over for the OS10 platform.
    BlackBerry also said they would continue to support the PlayBook but what they showed, is that they won't spend the money on something that they lose money on.
    That and the fact other companies have abandoned app development for OS10 as well.
    Already a number of apps that we use for my business no longer work.
    Like Square Register for CC payments, Invoice 2Go and others.

I wish you were right and I was wrong on this... but that's not the case on this topic.
    Otherwise I would buy a passport. But I've already got a Classic and 4 Q10's that we'll have to replace in the next year, because of incompatibility with OS updates to our computer system as well the drawbacks of owning one are now outnumbering the pluses.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 10-21-16 at 02:57 PM.
    10-21-16 12:29 PM
    They also stated they are actively exploring third party licensing agreements for BB10 and have repeatedly reaffirmed their commitment to the platform.

 Z30
    +1000

Posted via CB10 and my BlackBerry Passport!
    10-21-16 02:54 PM
    BlackBerry needs to get the message out clearly that BB10 will continue with new devices as well before they lose their corporate customers as well. My company informed the few of us BlackBerry die hards will have to turn in our perfectly fine BB10 device for iPhones because BlackBerry has completely switched to the evil Android.

Fighting to somehow keep my BlackBerry Passport!!!!

10-21-16 03:10 PM
    BlackBerry needs to get the message out clearly that BB10 will continue with new devices as well before they lose their corporate customers as well. My company informed the few of us BlackBerry die hards will have to turn in our perfectly fine BB10 device for iPhones because BlackBerry has completely switched to the evil Android.

Fighting to somehow keep my BlackBerry Passport!!!!

How can they make that statement when they themselves do not know what will happen. They merely stated the possibilities of what could happen and what they were willing to do with BB10, but I don't think they have yet been approached by a significant manufacturer that is willing to take the chance as of yet to have BB10 or some form of it implemented on their phones.
    Perhaps though the announcement of the new Pixel phone will spark a revolution of sorts by HTC and others to seek a new platform since Google is going the way of iPhone, where Google makes the one phone Androiders want and the rest is less attractive and shunned by Google as the least attractive Android phone due to many privileges offered by getting the Pixel. At least if they did go with BB10 they would not have to keep the OS updated and they could have BlackBerry do it with 8 month delays ) ))

Posted via CB10
    10-23-16 06:45 AM
    BB10 is the best OS out there today and BlackBerry chose to bow down to the enemy and be a servant to them and shut down shop on their own product. Even if BlackBerry decided to release on BB10 device a year I would be content with just that. I find it sad and disgusting that BlackBerry sold their soul to the enemy but that's just my chump change to all this nonsense .

BB10 over ANY Android device.
    After using Android for a few days, I'm appalled by how many little conveniences Android is missing that are present in BB10.

Let's put it this way, Android always feels as though my feet are behind me and I'm about to fall over, always teetering, about to fall on my face. Whereas BB10, I feel like I'm in the bucket seat of a racecar, totally secure, settled, in control. It's so odd the comfort that BB10's navigation can instill.

Just pushing up on an open app to see what my notification is, as well as silencing the blinking red light...it's so easy. With Android I have to reach to the top of the screen to pull down the notification shade. BB10 just doesn't get in the way, doesn't interrupt what you're doing. And this type of stuff is everywhere, throughout the OS.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-16 10:57 PM
    Perhaps a massive data breach at google, similar to the until recently covered up one at yahoo, will generate interest in a more secure platform.
    10-26-16 01:59 PM
    Perhaps a massive data breach at google, similar to the until recently covered up one at yahoo, will generate interest in a more secure platform.
    Doubt it. People want to know how companies react to a crisis not if a crisis happens. Most Samsung owners are sticking with them even tho they've had two huge blackeyes in a row. Nothing is saving BB10 not even a Wikileaks Google.
    10-26-16 02:38 PM
    I wouldn't wish that on any company, not even Google.

Besides, the average person doesn't care about data breaches.

10-26-16 02:57 PM

I also can't prove that Homie The Clown will land a flying saucer on the White House lawn tomorrow and announce that he is actually God, Yahweh, Allah, and Buddah all in one, and that when we die, we'll all be contestants on the Family Feud, playing for entry into Hell (because that's the better of the two alternatives).

I can't prove that when I start my car tomorrow, someone won't have installed a Flux Capacitor and turned it into a time machine.

I can't prove that Kim Jong-un won't win the 2016 US Presidential election.

But almost any reasonable person could say with a very high level of confidence that those things are SO unlikely as to be virtually impossible. And so is some third-party licensing BB10.

If absolute proof is going to be your standard, then there is no point in discussing anything with you, because virtually nothing can be proven absolutely.
    10-26-16 06:02 PM
    BlackBerry needs to get the message out clearly that BB10 will continue with new devices as well before they lose their corporate customers as well.
    By exiting the smartphone hardware business completely, they've obviously resigned themselves to the fact that those users were lost anyway. 400K devices sold in a quarter - and still dropping! Obviously the enterprise market wasn't saving BB anyway.
    10-26-16 06:06 PM

...that top brass at BlackBerry have stated there has been interest from third parties in licensing BB10...
    When did they say that?
    10-26-16 06:20 PM
    I also can't prove that Homie The Clown will land a flying saucer on the White House lawn tomorrow and announce that he is actually God, Yahweh, Allah, and Buddah all in one, and that when we die, we'll all be contestants on the Family Feud, playing for entry into Hell (because that's the better of the two alternatives).

I can't prove that when I start my car tomorrow, someone won't have installed a Flux Capacitor and turned it into a time machine.

I can't prove that Kim Jong-un won't win the 2016 US Presidential election.

But almost any reasonable person could say with a very high level of confidence that those things are SO unlikely as to be virtually impossible. And so is some third-party licensing BB10.

If absolute proof is going to be your standard, then there is no point in discussing anything with you, because virtually nothing can be proven absolutely.
    Just expect me to point out inconvenient facts when you try to pass off your opinion as the incontrovertible truth.

10-26-16 07:09 PM
    When did they say that?
    https://www.wired.com/2016/10/blackb...ing-disappear/

app_Developer likes this.
    10-26-16 07:41 PM
    Thanks. I hadn't seen that statement from Pini. It still seems like an unbelievably stupid idea for a 2nd/3rd tier player to take on the risk of BB10.

But let's see what happens I guess.
    10-26-16 07:56 PM
    I believe you refer to this indirect quote.

"Pini�s confident about what�s in the pipeline, and says he�s seen specifically strong demand from second and third-tier players, some of whom are even lining up to put BlackBerry�s own BB10 platform in their phones."

Well I'm glad to hear they are "lining up".

10-26-16 10:27 PM
    I believe you refer to this indirect quote.

"Pini�s confident about what�s in the pipeline, and says he�s seen specifically strong demand from second and third-tier players, some of whom are even lining up to put BlackBerry�s own BB10 platform in their phones."

Well I'm glad to hear they are "lining up".

Oh you want a direct quote?

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-...anded-handsets

10-26-16 10:43 PM
153 ... 34567