Oh you want a direct quote?

BlackBerry 10 may live on in BlackBerry-branded handsets | CrackBerry.com

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    You mean this quote?
    "We continue to support the BlackBerry 10 operating system; some companies are interested in licensing it for handsets. If it's a solid business model going forward, we'll work with a 3rd manufacturer. But we're not close enough to say we're going to do that."

Doesn't quite have the same oomph as "lining up" and it also has an "if" and a "but".
    Its a direct quote from a sales guy with weasel clauses.

You brought the evidence and I respect that but honestly I just don't believe it.
    10-26-16 10:57 PM
    You mean this quote?
    "We continue to support the BlackBerry 10 operating system; some companies are interested in licensing it for handsets. If it's a solid business model going forward, we'll work with a 3rd manufacturer. But we're not close enough to say we're going to do that."

Doesn't quite have the same oomph as "lining up" and it also has an "if" and a "but".
    Its a direct quote from a sales guy with weasel clauses.

You brought the evidence and I respect that but honestly I just don't believe it.
    So the "some companies are interested in licensing it for handsets" part wasn't direct enough?

Believe whatever you want, of course. The fact is top BlackBerry execs have said there is interest from third parties in licensing BB10 and they are exploring opportunities there.

10-26-16 11:19 PM
    [QUOTE=Newfangled;12633442]

Just because you cannot conceive of a scenario where a third party licenses BB10 and releases it on new handsets doesn't mean it cannot or will not happen.

Why would someone want to release a phone today with 3+ year old chips. Next question why would they want to us an OS that BlackBerry could not sell when it was fully supported? Why would you pay for an OS when you can get one for free. Last question if you want something other than Android why not license Windows Mobile, it comes with MS apps like Office.

Also, if BlackBerry still fully supports BB10 what have the several hundred developers that are required to fully develop the OS been doing for the last 18 to 24 months? Do you think BlackBerry just has them in cold storage? Where do you think all the cost savings have been coming from over the last 24+ months?
    10-26-16 11:36 PM
    [QUOTE=eshropshire;12641863]
    Why would someone want to release a phone today with 3+ year old chips. Next question why would they want to us an OS that BlackBerry could not sell when it was fully supported? Why would you pay for an OS when you can get one for free. Last question if you want something other than Android why not license Windows Mobile, it comes with MS apps like Office.

Also, if BlackBerry still fully supports BB10 what have the several hundred developers that are required to fully develop the OS been doing for the last 18 to 24 months? Do you think BlackBerry just has them in cold storage? Where do you think all the cost savings have been coming from over the last 24+ months?
    Because Windows Mobile is not BB10. Because BB10 runs more smoothly on the Passport platform than recent Android platforms run Android.

Not saying it's going to happen but some of your points are off.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 04:18 AM
    [QUOTE=eshropshire;12641863]

You'll have to ask BlackBerry and the third parties that have expressed interest in licensing BB10.

10-27-16 07:05 AM
    You'll have to ask BlackBerry and the third parties that have expressed interest in licensing BB10.
    I am going to pretend to be an interested third party now.

BlackBerryPreSalesGuy: ...in summary BlackBerry's Android offerings will give your product a competitive advantage. Do you have any questions?

DBB(with sardonic grin): Is BB10 available for licence?

BlackBerryPreSalesGuy: You bet it is!

BlackBerryPreSalesGuy(internal monologue): I can put that in the system as an opportunity.

DBB(internal monologue): Botz you've gotta quit doing that.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 10-27-16 at 07:58 AM.
    JeepBB and StephanieMaks like this.
    10-27-16 07:35 AM
    [QUOTE=DrBoomBotz;12642175]

I am going to pretend to be an interested third party now.

BlackBerryPreSalesGuy: ...in summary BlackBerry's Android offerings will give your product a competitive advantage. Do you have any questions?

DBB(with sardonic grin): Is BB10 available for licence?

BlackBerryPreSalesGuy: You bet it is!

BlackBerryPreSalesGuy(internal monologue): I can put that in the system as an opportunity.

DBB(internal monologue): Botz you've gotta quit doing that.
    Funny! You should write for SNL.

10-27-16 07:57 AM
    Funny! You should write for SNL.
    Oooo, oooo, I know this one! It's sarcasm, right?
    DrBoomBotz and app_Developer like this.
    10-27-16 10:24 AM
    [QUOTE=markmall;12641998]

Because Windows Mobile is not BB10. Because BB10 runs more smoothly on the Passport platform than recent Android platforms run Android.

Not saying it's going to happen but some of your points are off.

Posted via CB10
    You can not think that this statement is even nearly close to be the truth. BB10 is a good OS, but snapdragon 801 is by todays standards midrange SOC. I am sorry to inform you but world has moved on, midrange android phones have better specs and are faster than passport. In terms of performance passport is maybe comparable with 2014-5 android phones.
    10-27-16 12:34 PM
    [QUOTE=telepbs;12642580]

You can not think that this statement is even nearly close to be the truth. BB10 is a good OS, but snapdragon 801 is by todays standards midrange SOC. I am sorry to inform you but world has moved on, midrange android phones have better specs and are faster than passport. In terms of performance passport is maybe comparable with 2014-5 android phones.
    Still trying to figure which points are off. I have been using Android since 2011 and it is smooth and responsive. I don't root, but I never use a default launcher. I customize Android to fit exactly how I want my phone to work.

Back to the thread, just get through the first two questions. I work on tech business models all the time. Key basic questions have to be asked and answered to make a profit. We are just here speculating, but the questions I posted are basic and fundamental. If we can't speculate I don't see anyway potential OEM could answer the tough questions to create a practical business model for a BB10 OEM.

The biggest question here really is why and how would an OEM make money selling a phone based on an OS that is in very limited maintenance. If BlackBerry could not make money selling BB10 phones when it was in full development why can someone else be successful now. One of Blackberry's biggest problems is everyone buying their phones wanted big discounts. Every BB10 phone on release people kept complaining about the price. You can't make money selling phones with an ASP under $300.

BlackBerry has said none of the potential OEMs (Android or otherwise) are big companies. No one with a large or even moderate marketing budget. The reason they would license from BlackBerry is to use the BlackBerry name.
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    10-27-16 05:03 PM
    First of all I totally assume that BB10 is end of life. It's PlayBook all over again. Almost, soon, anytime now, we're working hard on it, this month, delayed, next quarter, final stages... never, thanks and bye bye.

To get back on the subject of this topic. I use both a Iphone and Android device on a daily basis. Nonetheless both OSes are cluttered, getting less and less intuitive every update, back buttons all over the place, tapping the home button once twice trice... Switching between apps is crappy, selecting text sucks balls and the lack of "flow" is an enormous step backwards in my opinion.

That's why I fully agree that axing BB10 is a shame. For old times sake I sometimes fire up both the Z and Q10 and whilst the devices are both pretty old by now it still feels like a breath of fresh air.

I'm moving on, but it sucks. Big time, period.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 10:27 AM
    So the "some companies are interested in licensing it for handsets" part wasn't direct enough?

Believe whatever you want, of course. The fact is top BlackBerry execs have said there is interest from third parties in licensing BB10 and they are exploring opportunities there.

If ever there was an example of someone who drank the Kool-aid it's you.
    Because it doesn't matter that BlackBerry has closed down their OS10 development, nor that mainstream hardware and software companies like. HP and Facebook no longer develop apps for OS10, nor how many people point out different facts that refute your assertion that BB10 isn't dead, you still refuse to get it.
    OS10 is fast becoming functionally obsolete with today's needs that are being shaped by the accelerated growth and expansion of apps in our personal and business lives.
    Unlike my iPhone, I can't print docs from my Q10 wirelessly to my printer.
    And OS10 doesn't sync with either Apple's and Windows latest operating systems.
    Because BlackBerry won't develop an update because they no longer have an OS10 development department.
    It's one thing to mislead yourself, it's another to come here and try and mislead others because you want your fantasies to be the truth and not the facts to be the truth.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 11-05-16 at 09:40 AM.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-04-16 03:01 AM
    If ever there was an example of someone who drank the Kool-aid it's you.
    Because it doesn't matter that BlackBerry has closed down their OS10 development, nor that mainstream hardware and software companies like. HP and Facebook no longer develop apps for OS10, nor how many people point out different facts that refute your assertion that BB10 is dead, you still refuse to get it.
    OS10 is fast becoming functionally obsolete with today's needs that are being shaped by the accelerated growth and expansion of apps in our personal and business lives.
    Unlike my iPhone, I can't print docs from my Q10 wirelessly to my printer.
    And OS10 doesn't sync with either Apple's and Windows latest operating systems.
    Because BlackBerry won't develop an update because they no longer have an OS10 development department.
    It's one thing to mislead yourself, it's another to come here and try and mislead others because you want your fantasies to be the truth and not the facts to be the truth.

Posted via CB10
    I'm just presenting ALL the facts, not just the ones you want to hear.

I'm not telling anyone what conclusions to make. Believe whatever you want.

11-04-16 07:01 AM
    I'm just presenting ALL the facts, not just the ones you want to hear.

I'm not telling anyone what conclusions to make. Believe whatever you want.

I think everyone wants BlackBerry to continue with the development of OS10.
    But just like the Space Shuttle program, it's over.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 08:52 PM
    I've bee. Using the android is in my dtek50 now for a few months. I miss the hell out of my BB10. I am frustrated that BlackBerry failed miserably at marketing, I still find BB10 to be superior to ios and Android by far.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    11-08-16 01:50 PM

Negotiations must be fierce. /s
    04-14-17 10:19 PM
    Negotiations must be fierce. /s
    Soon™.
    04-15-17 03:25 AM
    If the KEYone doesn't sell I'm going to find it very hard to believe TCL is going to stay the course. Obviously BlackBerry wins no matter what in this model.

That said, I think TCL has 1-2 other full touch phones in the works.

If this first try of the BlackBerry licensing model doesn't work - you guys can also kiss BlackBerry android goodbye too.

And here we are discussing the possibility of someone licensing bb10...Omg people are delusional.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    04-15-17 08:29 AM
    Dream on huh, why dont you look up what 10.3.3 consists of then come tell me to dream on. They have no plans to stop bb10 software bud. So dream on.
    For the moment.

Samsung Galaxy S7
    04-16-17 12:09 AM
    The market had room and still has room for BB10 -never good for the marketplace to have only two major supplier platforms (Lovingly nicknamed: The Death Star, and the Droid Army). The market could exist, provided Apple or others haven't tied up all the 'major' channels and or suppliers with 'exclusive/exclusionary' deals - have they?. Not sure how the competition watchdogs would perceive these circumstances down the road, Didn't Microsoft 'rescue' Apple back in 1997 (a few Star Wars episodes ago) (Apple/MS/Linux days) possibly to avoid such a potential situation and regulatory challenge?

--From either a: Passport, z10, z30, Playbook. or other...but probably a Passport)
    04-16-17 01:07 AM
    The market had room and still has room for BB10 -never good for the marketplace to have only two major supplier platforms (Lovingly nicknamed: The Death Star, and the Droid Army). The market could exist, provided Apple or others haven't tied up all the 'major' channels and or suppliers with 'exclusive/exclusionary' deals - have they?. Not sure how the competition watchdogs would perceive these circumstances down the road, Didn't Microsoft 'rescue' Apple back in 1997 (a few Star Wars episodes ago) (Apple/MS/Linux days) possibly to avoid such a potential situation and regulatory challenge?

--From either a: Passport, z10, z30, Playbook. or other...but probably a Passport)
    Poor BB10 horse still being beaten way past its death.
    04-16-17 02:20 AM
    May he one day rest in peace.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-16-17 02:25 AM
    "When I launch nuclear weapons, I can't afford unreliability, that's why I chose Android to run my nuclear arsenal" - Kim Jong Un - North Korea.
    04-16-17 11:12 PM
    If only Snow White hadn't bitten the Apple....when shall her prince charming enter the scene.
    04-16-17 11:16 PM
    04-16-17 11:49 PM
153 ... 4567