They also stated they are actively exploring third party licensing agreements for BB10 and have repeatedly reaffirmed their commitment to the platform.

 Z30
    So far this year, their committment to BB10 has consisted entirely of saying they are committed to BB10.

On the bright side, talk is cheap and at this rate they can afford to remain committed to BB10 for the next decade at least.
    10-18-16 08:54 PM
    They also stated they are actively exploring third party licensing agreements for BB10
    I'm actively exploring the position of Emperor of the Western Hemisphere and marriages to a trio of Victoria's Secret Angels.

The difference is that I have an infinitesimal chance of success - far larger than BB's chances of finding a BB10 licensee. BB's "commitment to BB10" is otherwise known as "spin" that's designed to help sell their remaining BB10 inventory at something above firesale clearance prices.
    10-18-16 09:51 PM
    I'm actively exploring the position of Emperor of the Western Hemisphere and marriages to a trio of Victoria's Secret Angels.

The difference is that I have an infinitesimal chance of success - far larger than BB's chances of finding a BB10 licensee. BB's "commitment to BB10" is otherwise known as "spin" that's designed to help sell their remaining BB10 inventory at something above firesale clearance prices.
    If they wanted to kill BB10 they would have done it long before now and just written off their remaining inventory.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-18-16 11:39 PM
    If they wanted to kill BB10 they would have done it long before now and just written off their remaining inventory.

We all have different ideas of what 'kill BB10' means. To some it's dead man and they're not wrong. Just like you're not wrong.
    10-18-16 11:55 PM
    Why right off tens of millions of dollars when a few cheap words can help sell that inventory. BB is obligated to continue BB10 support until early next year due to corporate contracts, so they'll do the minimum to meet that requirement, so, again, a few cheap words along with what they're already doing is enough to move the last of the BB10 hardware. It would be dumb not to do that, but it's naive to believe that their statements of "continued support" is anything else but spin intended to clear the shelves and reassure corporate customers as they transition to other devices - be those BB Android or something else.
    10-19-16 12:08 AM
    Jesus Christ stop saying that it's the 'best OS', an OS that literally has close to zero app support even at its prime time can never be crowned 'the best', also they still haven't done anything about the flashing sms interface in the hub.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    10-19-16 02:07 AM
    Jesus Christ stop saying that it's the 'best OS', an OS that literally has close to zero app support even at its prime time can never be crowned 'the best', also they still haven't done anything about the flashing sms interface in the hub.
    You have confused yourself over the difference between the OS and the ecosystem. Just because you can't separate the two concepts, it's no reason to expect everyone else to restrict their thinking too.

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    10-19-16 02:32 AM
    I hope there will be a good alternative OS when it's really time to throw my BlackBerry Passport slowly it's getting annoying with even amazon certificates are now not recognized.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3983727) likes this.
    10-19-16 04:35 AM
    I hope there will be a good alternative OS when it's really time to throw my BlackBerry Passport slowly it's getting annoying with even amazon certificates are now not recognized.

Posted via CB10
    What sorts of things are becoming annoying on your Passport?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 06:15 AM
    It really is OK for people to have opinions that differ from yours.

anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-19-16 07:14 AM
    Why right off tens of millions of dollars when a few cheap words can help sell that inventory. BB is obligated to continue BB10 support until early next year due to corporate contracts, so they'll do the minimum to meet that requirement, so, again, a few cheap words along with what they're already doing is enough to move the last of the BB10 hardware. It would be dumb not to do that, but it's naive to believe that their statements of "continued support" is anything else but spin intended to clear the shelves and reassure corporate customers as they transition to other devices - be those BB Android or something else.
    Why NOT write off tens of millions of dollars in BB10 inventory? They've done it before.

They could have easily ended BB10 device sales with the launch of the PRIV or DTEK50 and announced End of Life dates while still honoring their existing contracts.

10-19-16 07:25 AM
    QUOTE Newfangled ''It really is OK for people to have opinions that differ from yours."

Exactly. I always, always, always suspect the people crying that BB10 is 'Dead' are people who have never even used BB10.

Still the Best.
    There are no apps I need that aren't here for me.
    10-19-16 09:18 AM
    What sorts of things are becoming annoying on your Passport?

Posted via CB10
    Missing SSL ROOT ca certs. Amazon SSL certs and let's encrypt

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 09:32 AM
    Why NOT write off tens of millions of dollars in BB10 inventory?
    Is this a trick question?
    10-19-16 09:35 AM
    [QUOTE=Newfangled;12631728]They also stated they are actively exploring third party licensing agreements for BB10 and have repeatedly reaffirmed their commitment to the platform.

Hope and Change - lots of words, not action. Got my hip waders on fortunately because of election season
    10-19-16 10:40 AM
    Jesus Christ stop saying that it's the 'best OS'...
    Here on Crackberry, you're supposed to use "arguably the best OS" which translates to "not really the best OS but I'm willing to argue with you about it."
    10-19-16 10:42 AM
    Is this a trick question?
    Is that your best answer?

10-19-16 11:06 AM
    I have also been having issues particularly with websites. Many sites are slowly becoming unusable as menu items are no longer selectable or windows don't auto size correctly. Crackberry.com is completely out of the question although its flooded by Android trolls now anyway.
    I suppose what you could do is load up Firefox on it, but then you're completely bypassing the nice aspects of BB10.
    10-19-16 11:14 AM
    [QUOTE=Powdah;12632348]
    They also stated they are actively exploring third party licensing agreements for BB10 and have repeatedly reaffirmed their commitment to the platform.

Hope and Change - lots of words, not action. Got my hip waders on fortunately because of election season
    They're still selling BB10 phones. They have an OS update coming and another planned after that.

Again, if they intended to kill the platform, they would have kept some inventory on-hand to support existing contracts, written the rest off, and stopped selling BB10 phones on their website. They would have announced BB10 End-of-Sales and End-of-Support dates already.

I don't buy the explanation that they are just trying to sell off remaining inventory before they officially kill BB10. That would be a waste of money and resources they could put into their Android phones and software.

The only viable explanation is that they haven't totally given up on BB10 yet and are still trying to find ways to monetize that IP.

Chen has said repeatedly that RIM dropped the ball on monetizing their vast portfolio of patents and IP. That's a huge source of potential revenue and they have only begun to scratch the surface. Why would they not try to extract some value out of a platform they have already put so much development into and that is actively running on millions of phones right now?

10-19-16 11:20 AM
    [QUOTE=Newfangled;12632412]
    Chen has said repeatedly that RIM dropped the ball on monetizing their vast portfolio of patents and IP. That's a huge source of potential revenue and they have only begun to scratch the surface. Why would they not try to extract some value out of a platform they have already put so much development into and that is actively running on millions of phones right now?
    A lot of individually patented technology goes into BB10. Monetizing their patents doesn't mean licencing BB10 as a whole.

If you were HP, Acer, Asus, etc... would you design, develop, manufacture and market a phone running BB10?
    10-19-16 11:28 AM
    What are the differences that make BB10 more viable, going forward, than webOS?

At the time webOS went down there still was somewhat of a competitive market for smartphone operating systems. webOS was owned by HP, one of the biggest hardware companies in the world. There was endless speculation that webOS would be used in HP printers and preinstalled in their PCs for some reason. Eventually webOS found a home in LG TVs.
    10-19-16 11:43 AM
    [QUOTE=ssbtech;12632423]

A lot of individually patented technology goes into BB10. Monetizing their patents doesn't mean licencing BB10 as a whole.

If you were HP, Acer, Asus, etc... would you design, develop, manufacture and market a phone running BB10?
    I agree they could monetize their BB10 IP in chunks rather than as a whole. But again, if they intended to kill off BB10 as a mobile platform it would have made much more sense and saved them much more money to do so long before now.

Your question is irrelevant. I'm not a tech company, nor are you. You'll have to ask the third parties who have expressed interest in licensing BB10 what their ideas are for its future.

Just because you cannot conceive of a scenario where BB10 lives on in new smartphones does not mean it cannot or will not happen.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    10-19-16 12:41 PM
    I agree they could monetize their BB10 IP in chunks rather than as a whole. But again, if they intended to kill off BB10 as a mobile platform it would have made much more sense and saved them much more money to do so long before now.
    Two reasons they didn't:

1. It's stupid to throw away money. They've already paid for those phones - it costs them relatively little to continue to offer them for sale, but they recover a lot of (otherwise completely lost) money every time they sell a phone. And, no, they did NOT write OFF other phones - they wrote them DOWN. They took a $1B charge on Z10s alone, but they didn't take those phones out and dump them in a landfill - they continued to sell them (at a huge discount) and recovered as much money as they could out of them, which reduced the huge loss somewhat. The writedown was a reflection that they weren't going to be able to sell those phones at anywhere near their original MSRP, and so they had to take the writedown in value to reflect that. If they'd written them off, or the Playbooks before that, the charge would have been a good deal larger.

2. BB, unlike most other companies, gets a sizable amount of recurring monthly revenue from their MDM (BES), and continuing to (at least appear to) keep BB10 "officially" alive by making cheap statements and continuing to sell off remaining stocks of devices helped keep that additional revenue coming in. Had BB officially EOL'd BB10, they would have lost a lot of that BES revenue a whole lot sooner.

It would have been fiscally irresponsible of BB to have done anything other than what they've done - but that doesn't change the fact that BB10 is effectively dead and has been for about 22 months already - when they laid off the vast majority of the BB10 (and related) developers.
    10-19-16 10:16 PM
    What are the differences that make BB10 more viable, going forward, than webOS?

At the time webOS went down there still was somewhat of a competitive market for smartphone operating systems. webOS was owned by HP, one of the biggest hardware companies in the world. There was endless speculation that webOS would be used in HP printers and preinstalled in their PCs for some reason. Eventually webOS found a home in LG TVs.
    Did people start carrying around TVs as their updated webOS phone?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 12:25 AM
    Did people start carrying around TVs as their updated webOS phone?
    People there definitely wanted webOS to run their TVs even though there's no reason for a TV to work like a smartphone. Just like people here want QNX to run the dash unit of their car as if that would automatically make it good.
    10-20-16 07:15 AM
153 ... 23456 ...