09-13-13 01:05 PM
83 1234
tools
    The problem is swiping. I'm in an email landscape mode. I want to go to the homescreen, where do I swipe. I have to rotate the phone then swipe. I want to stay in landscape and switch apps without rotating.

It's a stupid gripe I admit but an option that could be added and disabled if the user prefers would be great.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!!

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 03:15 PM
    The problem is swiping. I'm in an email landscape mode. I want to go to the homescreen, where do I swipe. I have to rotate the phone then swipe. I want to stay in landscape and switch apps without rotating.

It's a stupid gripe I admit but an option that could be added and disabled if the user prefers would be great.

Posted via CB10
    If you are in a landscape email, you swipe up from the bottom of the email from the edge of the screen. Did you even try this before complaining about it?
    05-20-13 03:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    When u are playing a game u CAN swipe it un landscape mode. Just swipe it as it would be in portrait. From the bottom to top.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 05:37 AM
    It would be cool like when you're laying in bed

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 10:04 AM
    Unnecessary, fix the apn lockout, the random reboots, improving battery life etc...I'm sure there are others, but landscape home screen is not on top of the list for people.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 11:04 AM
    You have to be a pretty ignorant person to argue against having more options. Landscape home screen was an option on the Storm 1 & 2, and the Torch phones. How did having that option hurt anything?

Lot of people keep saying no new phones have this option. That is simply incorrect. All of the latest LG phones have the option to enable full rotation of the device. No app or 3rd party launcher required.

The only exception to that is the Nexus 4. It will not rotate in stock form. So I decompiled the Launcher apk. Made the changes myself and flashed it. Now I can use my Nexus 4's homescreen sideways if and when I want. That don't mean I always use it that way, but now I have the option. And with no app or 3rd party install required. I just modified what was already there and I have another option open to me.

If I am using the browser in landscape on my Nexus 4, I can go home, launch any other app I want and use the new app all without taking another step to rotate my phone back and forth. Why would I not want to have that option?

People here talking about consistency. Yet BlackBerry 10 lacks consistency. Is it consistent to have BBM stuck in portrait mode only until you enter a BBM conversation using the Hub? Nope, that's a rather striking example of inconsistency in my opinion. Wouldn't it be more consistent to allow BBM to go into landscape mode no matter how you launched it?

At the end of the day, I still can't figure out why so many would be against having more options. Do people realize that options are optional? Meaning you don't have to use the option if you don't want too. In my opinion, having the option is always better than not having it at all. Like I said, you'd have to be pretty ignorant to argue against having more options.

Of course, I'm sure like many other things, this will be passed off as something stupid, or not needed, untill the exact moment BlackBerry can do it. If that day ever comes and this feature gets added to the Z10, we will see all of the faithful excitedly bragging about how the Z10 can do landscape home screen, while the iToy and Droid can't.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    Brandon Orr, ihys and StutterStep like this.
    05-23-13 11:05 AM
    You have to be a pretty ignorant person to argue against having more options. Landscape home screen was an option on the Storm 1 & 2, and the Torch phones. How did having that option hurt anything?

Lot of people keep saying no new phones have this option. That is simply incorrect. All of the latest LG phones have the option to enable full rotation of the device. No app or 3rd party launcher required.

The only exception to that is the Nexus 4. It will not rotate in stock form. So I decompiled the Launcher apk. Made the changes myself and flashed it. Now I can use my Nexus 4's homescreen sideways if and when I want. That don't mean I always use it that way, but now I have the option. And with no app or 3rd party install required. I just modified what was already there and I have another option open to me.

If I am using the browser in landscape on my Nexus 4, I can go home, launch any other app I want and use the new app all without taking another step to rotate my phone back and forth. Why would I not want to have that option?

People here talking about consistency. Yet BlackBerry 10 lacks consistency. Is it consistent to have BBM stuck in portrait mode only until you enter a BBM conversation using the Hub? Nope, that's a rather striking example of inconsistency in my opinion. Wouldn't it be more consistent to allow BBM to go into landscape mode no matter how you launched it?

At the end of the day, I still can't figure out why so many would be against having more options. Do people realize that options are optional? Meaning you don't have to use the option if you don't want too. In my opinion, having the option is always better than not having it at all. Like I said, you'd have to be pretty ignorant to argue against having more options.

Of course, I'm sure like many other things, this will be passed off as something stupid, or not needed, untill the exact moment BlackBerry can do it. If that day ever comes and this feature gets added to the Z10, we will see all of the faithful excitedly bragging about how the Z10 can do landscape home screen, while the iToy and Droid can't.

+1

Well said, mate.

~STV
    05-23-13 12:49 PM
    Gotta throw my hat in with the landscapers. On PB I locked in landscape mode and never really took it off. Landscape is my preference. Hope this is addressed in a future update. Z is a great device. Landscape mode would make it better.
    05-23-13 08:56 PM

Here, here

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 10:33 PM
    I don't get it , isn't this an obvious feature that should have been there in the beginning. My basic non smartphone from work does it.

Come on BlackBerry get with it. You updated the stupid calculator but not other issues like this or the REBOOT problem. I don't get it?

Posted via CB10
    Lay on your side if you so need it.

From Zed to U via CB10
    05-25-13 02:16 AM
    Lay on your side if you so need it.

From Zed to U via CB10
    Grow up...thats such a waste of bandwidth to state such a ridiculous comment.

Posted via CB10
    STV0726 likes this.
    05-25-13 08:54 PM
    Kinda like whinning about a landscape mode on a phone???? Wow. Sooooo important. Solving world problems here.

From Zed to U via CB10
    05-25-13 10:20 PM
    Man I can't believe how short-sighted some of you guys are! It's this old way of thinking what you have is good enough that got Blackberry into trouble in the past. Have none of you thought of the possibilities that would arise when you could simply dock the Z10 and use it like a desktop computer? You would obviously need the homescreen in landscape mode for this to work. Not even only that though...I have a transformer case which keeps the Z10 standing while in landscape mode, I like watching movies and replying to ppl through the hub while maintaing the landscape mode, but it's so dumb that I have to go through the portrait homescreen and actually pickup the device instead of just leaving it in the stand landscape position.
    russworman, Saiga, ihys and 1 others like this.
    05-25-13 10:24 PM
    Landscape mode is very necessary. It is needed for the flow of the os and whether it exists on other phones is irrelevant. I'm actually hesitant to use my phone with my hdtv because of the lack of landscape mode. I want a consistent os experience and will consider the os incomplete until this is added.

Posted via CB10
    STV0726 likes this.
    05-25-13 10:37 PM
    Man I can't believe how short-sighted some of you guys are! It's this old way of thinking what you have is good enough that got Blackberry into trouble in the past. Have none of you thought of the possibilities that would arise when you could simply dock the Z10 and use it like a desktop computer? You would obviously need the homescreen in landscape mode for this to work. Not even only that though...I have a transformer case which keeps the Z10 standing while in landscape mode, I like watching movies and replying to ppl through the hub while maintaing the landscape mode, but it's so dumb that I have to go through the portrait homescreen and actually pickup the device instead of just leaving it in the stand landscape position.
    +100

~STV
    05-25-13 11:00 PM
    Landscape mode is very necessary. It is needed for the flow of the os and whether it exists on other phones is irrelevant. I'm actually hesitant to use my phone with my hdtv because of the lack of landscape mode. I want a consistent os experience and will consider the os incomplete until this is added.

Posted via CB10
    +100

My thoughts exactly.

~STV
    05-25-13 11:01 PM
    Kinda like whinning about a landscape mode on a phone???? Wow. Sooooo important. Solving world problems here.

From Zed to U via CB10
    Thanks cupcake! I was hoping you would approve

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 11:29 PM
    I don't get it , isn't this an obvious feature that should have been there in the beginning. My basic non smartphone from work does it.

Come on BlackBerry get with it. You updated the stupid calculator but not other issues like this or the REBOOT problem. I don't get it?

Posted via CB10
    I really don't understand why you need it.... maybe only in hdmi..... but still..

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 05:45 AM
    All BB Torch variants (sliders and touch-only) have landscape orientation for home screen. Nobody complained about that.
    As I said in another post, BB10 is "too advanced" for these trivial functions.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:11 AM
    C'mon, it's sooo comfy to hold the phone in a landscape position & have it rest in your palms. The keyboard is easy to manipulate that way, & the screen size is used in a view which is natural & similar to all screens in life... right?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 12:04 PM
    I agree. I generally find it easier to type in landscape mode with the wider keyboard. I can see how it can be a hassle to not have any options for a landscape home screen when switching from some apps back to the home screen. It's not a deal breaker for me, but more of a convenient thing.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 01:11 PM
    The lack of landscape mode makes it impractical to use the Z10 hooked up to a monitor with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

I also can't position the phone horizontally when driving and navigating.
    ihys likes this.
    05-26-13 01:34 PM
    The only reason I see this being needed is by using HDMI, other than that u don't have any use for it and not that big of a deal for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 04:19 PM
    The only reason I see this being needed is by using HDMI, other than that u don't have any use for it and not that big of a deal for me.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but you are not opening your mind enough.

Flow, flow, flow. Oh and don't forget...flow.

Did I mention flow?

I don't want to have to turn my phone to peek into the hub when watching a film. That doesn't help keep me moving.

And what about the shift from mobile telephony to true mobile computing Heins promised? Vertical forcing doesn't sound like true mobile computing to me. I want freedom and power with how I use my device.

There is really no contest here. Everything of the GUI and apps for BB 10 need to be landscapable except the few exemptions I already mentioned earlier. If you don't want it, rotation lock is your friend.

~STV
    05-30-13 07:43 AM
    How ironic that people who don't feel landscape would benefit them feel that NO ONE would benefit from landscape. These hacks need to go worry about what would help them and quit dogging folks for this particular feature. Maybe these folks never made the jump from physical to virtual keyboard and don't know what their missing. If that's the case, BlackBerry has a model for you, Q10.

I find the lack of landscape, after being spoiled with it from my Storm and Storm2, irritating on a regular basis even after I have accepted the loss of the functionality.

Posted from my most awesome Z10
    05-30-13 10:16 AM
83 1234