I don't see a need for landscape on the homescreen. If the option was available - I wouldn't use it.
    05-16-13 11:54 AM
    I just think it should be an OPTION that you can enable or disable.

Why not do it just because no one else does it. It would be just one more thong that no one else does.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-16-13 12:11 PM
    How is this a basic feature? All the new phones out now including Iphone, SG4, etc don't do it -- doesn't seem basic at all. It would just seem like an added feature -- hardly required.
    So everyone loves constantly turning their phone because every orientation doesn't work everywhere. That sounds like breaks in the UI and inconsistent.
    05-16-13 12:13 PM
    Why would you need landscape home screen. Doesn't make sense. What's the point?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 12:29 PM
    I would prefer that it rotate. Having said that it is not the standard implementation since most high end Androids and none of the iPhones do this.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 12:33 PM
    Pointless feature suggestion in 3...2.. oh, it's already here.
    05-16-13 12:41 PM
    So everyone loves constantly turning their phone because every orientation doesn't work everywhere. That sounds like breaks in the UI and inconsistent.
    Exactly.
    It's highlighted on the BlackBerry as they make a big deal out of peek and flow which relies on consistency

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 12:51 PM
    Why would you need landscape home screen. Doesn't make sense. What's the point?

Posted via CB10
    Maybe because when you're using the browser and you want to check the hub you don't want to have to first turn your phone to do it etc.
    05-16-13 12:59 PM
    I would prefer that it rotate. Having said that it is not the standard implementation since most high end Androids and none of the iPhones do this.

Posted via CB10
    Good for them. I don't care about those platforms at this time but I may be soon, well not iphones.
    05-16-13 01:01 PM
    I don't want a landscape home screen. Completely unnecesary.
    That's not a valid reason to shoot down an idea. Many may think what you do on your phone is unnecessary but you would obviously disagree with that.
    21stNow likes this.
    05-16-13 01:30 PM
    I would much prefer an option for videos to play in landscape mode, so then I never have to change the device orientation settings again.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 01:36 PM
    I'd much rather them update the calculator 20 times before they 'update' the home screen to rotate. That would be a horrible feature. My old BB's use to do it, and I hated it. Drove me nuts. I am soooo glad to see my Z10 not rotate on the home screen. This was a conscious decision by Blackberry. This was not something they thought they would add later as a feature. I totally agree with their decision not to rotate the home screen. And if by chance they decide to add that as a feature, I really hope there will be an option to turn it off, because that will be the first thing I do. Smart move Blackberry.
    05-16-13 01:48 PM
    hands down, one of the most annoying features of the PlayBook OS is how badly it handles rotation of the device... You put the stupid rotation lock on so you can use your tablet without having to make sure it's perfectly stable or it randomly rotates and then takes forever to rotate back then you open an app that rotates into portrait mode automatically and it's glitchy as hell if you don't take the orientation lock off first.

on a device as small as a Z10, is it really that big a hassle to rotate it to use the home screen? I mean since it appears that you are unable or unwilling to either look at the icon for the app or read the name of the app sideways?

Please BBRY.. don't implement the orientation lock mess from the PlayBook on the Z10..
    05-16-13 01:52 PM
    Basic feature? Never seen it before on any other smartphone... and wouldn't use it even if it was there.
    ioansuhov and southlander like this.
    05-16-13 01:54 PM
    I think that the OP has a valid concern in that it should be an option. I personally don't like for any of the screens to rotate and prefer to use the phone in portrait orientation. Part of the reason for this is that I don't like the inconsistency of having apps that rotate, but going back to a homescreen that doesn't rotate. I don't get shooting down the OP for wanting an option but then again, that's what some Crackberry posters do best.

Android phones that have landscape physical keyboards have rotating homescreens out of the box.
    05-16-13 01:56 PM
    I use it all the time on my 9850. I wish it was on the z10. For now I just practice reading sideways.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 01:58 PM
    So you're saying BBRY should just do and copy what everyone else does?
    No, of course not. Blackberry was always an innovative brand. What I wanted to say is that there are very few people wanting rotate on home-screen... And this reflects in all the 2012/2013 phones... Yes, you are right, maybe it would be better to include it as an option in settings; but at the moment I am hoping that BB put all the efforts in adding good apps in the BB world.
    05-16-13 02:25 PM
    Release the dock. Period. Landscape mode or not. I'll buy two.
    This would actually be a key feature for docking the Z10 as the ports are on the side. When docked you would want the whole phone to rotate no? When blackberry do release the dock for the Z10 I think we will see this feature on the device. Or are blackberry waiting to finish the feature before they release the dock.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 01:13 AM
    My old Storm and Storm 2 were capable of landscape at all levels. It was a whole lot more efficient to be able to go from one app to the home screen and into another app with out turning my phone every time. Just because I OS and druids can't do it doesn't mean that should be the standard. That's just ignorant. BlackBerry needs to be staying ahead of the curve instead of falling behind in the race.

Posted via CB10
    ^ +1 Very true!

To be frank, I'm both shocked and severely disappointed that people are in such disagreement with the OP.

I consider this one of the biggest issues with BlackBerry 10 right now.

To make Flow truly a flowing experience, we NEED orientation universality. It goes beyond a landscape home screen. It is about being able to peek from a landscape app like a game and go into the hub and right back into the game without having to rotate the phone.

I've said it several times and I will say it again: the ideal scenario is everything on the phone is usable on portrait and landscape mode. I have talked to BlackBerry professional bloggers that make suggestions to BlackBerry themselves that agree with my thinking and rationale here...

The only exceptions that should remain orientation restricted are:

+Widescreen games (landscape)
    +Video camera (landscape)
    +Phone (if normal mode is on, lock to portrait. If speakerphone is on, allow rotation.)

For the people saying that a rotating home screen would drive you nuts, there's a wonderful feature called rotation lock. If BlackBerry would come to their senses and implement more opportunities for rotation, that feature might actually be more useful.

In closing, I hope that this insight has started to change some of y'all's perspectives. To reiterate, the main concern here with orientation restriction on the home screen and active frames is that it interferes with the Flow.

~STV
    notfanboy, Brandon Orr and ihys like this.
    05-20-13 04:32 AM
    I think STV has a well articulated post. The issue in this forum is most people sound like little kids with delayed gratification issues. Lots of exaggerated and confrontational language. Make SUGGESTIONS not ACCUSATIONS.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz and Novaone like this.
    05-20-13 08:14 AM
    I think STV has a well articulated post. The issue in this forum is most people sound like little kids with delayed gratification issues. Lots of exaggerated and confrontational language. Make SUGGESTIONS not ACCUSATIONS.

Posted via CB10
    Aww, thanks. Really. That made me smile after a stressful pre-service teacher exam. :-)

I do try not to be confrontational. Despite the fact that I'm very capable of writing in the manner I did above, I too become over-passionate about BlackBerry and other tech, especially when it comes to UI suggestions. My frustrations lie when people are close minded and forget that the UI really is a big priority and has to be consistent with the goals and objectives of the platform.

This is precisely why I'm so critical of BlackBerry for lacking landscape support. Flow is important. Why does it make sense that I can Flow vertically, but if I turn my phone horizontally it more or less goes back to the in and out paradigm? You see what I mean? This is why it is paramount to think of the big picture when suggesting UI changes and future implementations because it really goes a lot farther than specific use scenarios and what may or may not work for John Doe. It can be difficult to think this way, but I feel with this suggestion at least, I'm being consistent with what BlackBerry Flow strives to do for end users, hence why I've been pushing this suggestion so much.

~STV
    ihys likes this.
    05-20-13 09:26 AM
    I also want the option, and as usual I am typing this in landscape. I prefer landscape for almost everything not all but most things. Just an option that I and others wish we had. Amazing how tough everyone is when typing from a keyboard....no it is not passion it is simply wrong.
    05-20-13 10:05 AM
    I for one would like it to rotate. I use my phone in landscape with any program that allows it. To have to flip it to portrait every time I go to the homescreen is annoying. Mt 9860 could and that is how I used it most of the time.
    kbz1960 and ihys like this.
    05-20-13 10:53 AM
    I think it should be an optional feature as well. My personal opinion is that it annoys me also to have to rotate my screen.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and ihys like this.
    05-20-13 11:02 AM
    I'm not concerned about landscape app grids, but a landscape active frames page would be nice.

The only thing that really bugs me about landscape support is minimizing landscape apps. I'm so used to swiping in from the BlackBerry logo that I keep doing it for landscape apps forgetting that I need to swipe up from the thinner bezel.

A landscape active frames page might make this seem a little less disjointed.

I'd rather BlackBerry focus on overall functionality. I don't find the lack of a landscape app grid or active frames page to be unproductive.
    05-20-13 11:37 AM
83 1234