so i've wasted the better part of my day trying to restore my Q10 backup after eagerly upgrading to the latest 10.2 leak.
    mind you, i've been holding out for over 2 months since i switched over from my trusty old 9900 thinking i'd eventually get used to the missing features and functionality and enjoy the new device and OS as-is.

8 hours later, i finally gave up.. and loaded a backup made 2 months ago by the device switch wizard
    i did try everything i could, including multiple security wipes, different OS versions including going back to the original carrier release, using different computers, removing and upgrading BB Link all to no avail.

and here i am thinking to myself that it's gonna be worth it after all despite losing some data.. but imagine my disappointment when i finished configuring the device and realized that (although vastly improved over 10.1!) i still didn't have autobcc or subject filter! the two features i miss most about my 9900 and older BBs!

now some of you may not realize how important something like autobcc or subject filter could be, but picture this:

i had set all my email accounts to auto-bcc myself on all outgoing email, while that may sound redundant, it allowed me to keep track of messages sent on the go, or from any of my computers using a simple POP connection.
    some might argue that i'm probably better off using IMAP, but that wont work for me.. which is besides the point.

as for spam filtering.. my email server tags message headers and subject lines, and i've always had my BIS setup to NOT send any messages with a subject containing "SPAM-ALERT" to my device.
    however since making the switch, i had to live with hundreds of unwanted messages on a daily basis :\

i'm frustrated beyond belief especially since i've tried almost every platform out there, and can't get comfortable with anything but Blackberry.

do i really have no choice but to "live with it" or downgrade back to a legacy BB device? :S
    08-03-13 03:19 PM
    You can post this to Beta Zone and send tweets to key BlackBerry representatives and see your missing features get implemented on later releases.

Why do you think 10.2 is making so many people so happy? They are seeing the stuff they wanted make it into the OS (even if it's an I-can't-see-the-need HUB icon...).
    08-03-13 09:41 PM
    so i've wasted the better part of my day trying to restore my Q10 backup after eagerly upgrading to the latest 10.2 leak.
    mind you, i've been holding out for over 2 months since i switched over from my trusty old 9900 thinking i'd eventually get used to the missing features and functionality and enjoy the new device and OS as-is.

8 hours later, i finally gave up.. and loaded a backup made 2 months ago by the device switch wizard
    i did try everything i could, including multiple security wipes, different OS versions including going back to the original carrier release, using different computers, removing and upgrading BB Link all to no avail.

and here i am thinking to myself that it's gonna be worth it after all despite losing some data.. but imagine my disappointment when i finished configuring the device and realized that (although vastly improved over 10.1!) i still didn't have autobcc or subject filter! the two features i miss most about my 9900 and older BBs!

now some of you may not realize how important something like autobcc or subject filter could be, but picture this:

i had set all my email accounts to auto-bcc myself on all outgoing email, while that may sound redundant, it allowed me to keep track of messages sent on the go, or from any of my computers using a simple POP connection.
    some might argue that i'm probably better off using IMAP, but that wont work for me.. which is besides the point.

as for spam filtering.. my email server tags message headers and subject lines, and i've always had my BIS setup to NOT send any messages with a subject containing "SPAM-ALERT" to my device.
    however since making the switch, i had to live with hundreds of unwanted messages on a daily basis :\

i'm frustrated beyond belief especially since i've tried almost every platform out there, and can't get comfortable with anything but Blackberry.

do i really have no choice but to "live with it" or downgrade back to a legacy BB device? :S
    With the current state of bb10, it's more like an upgrade to bb7. Bb10, is still years behind bb10 in terms of efficiency, except for the web browser.

If you're within your return Window, I would recommend to take it back. I wish I was still within my 14 days.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 11:11 PM
    You can post this to Beta Zone and send tweets to key BlackBerry representatives and see your missing features get implemented on later releases.

Why do you think 10.2 is making so many people so happy? They are seeing the stuff they wanted make it into the OS (even if it's an I-can't-see-the-need HUB icon...).
    signing up to Beta Zone now
    08-04-13 04:11 AM
    10 days later.. not a single response on beta zone either
    I'm finding myself relying on my blackberry less and less to the point I've disabled email notification alerts.
    Quite a shame to be honest

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 04:03 PM
    This issue has been mentioned several times here. I have no problem setting up server-side rules in regards to autobcc and to move the messages into different folders.
    I have the same inbox and folders as in my outlook (minus the archive) and am content.

The way emails are working now is better and more effective, as there is no missed email anymore or any difference between desktop and mobile email.

I would love to know how you can be content with a big pile of junk in your outlook.....

Each to their own...

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 04:44 PM
    I would love to know how you can be content with a big pile of junk in your outlook.....
    i have my emails downloaded on my home PC and Office PC
    Spam is tagged on my server, but isn't discarded
    my email client (Evolution on my Linux box) automatically moves all spam tagged emails to junkmail folder so i don't have to deal with it, unless say i'm waiting for an email that's said to have been sent and i still don't have it.. then i can have a look in the junkmail folder, and eventually purge it.

as you said, each to their own.. my system may not be ideal for everybody else, but it's worked great for nearly a decade, till i upgraded
    08-15-13 06:28 AM
    Server rule to move them already to another folder which your desktop client is picking up should solve the problem....

Let the server do the heavy lifting and not the client....

At least now I understand your predicament.... I had the same issue with a shared inbox.....

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 09:13 AM
    i have my emails downloaded on my home PC and Office PC
    Spam is tagged on my server, but isn't discarded
    my email client (Evolution on my Linux box) automatically moves all spam tagged emails to junkmail folder so i don't have to deal with it, unless say i'm waiting for an email that's said to have been sent and i still don't have it.. then i can have a look in the junkmail folder, and eventually purge it.

as you said, each to their own.. my system may not be ideal for everybody else, but it's worked great for nearly a decade, till i upgraded
    Lol

Still no autobcc or spam filtering options?!-cpuoverheat.png

Posted via CB10
    DXBLouie likes this.
    08-15-13 03:03 PM
    come on now.. auto-bcc and basic filtering options are there on just about every mail client out there, i'm not asking for anything extraordinary here
    08-18-13 04:10 AM
    come on now.. auto-bcc and basic filtering options are there on just about every mail client out there, i'm not asking for anything extraordinary here

Your earlier comment about that workflow "working for a decade" says it all.

Technology changes and evolves. POP3 is a 25-year-old protocol. That is an eternity in the technology sphere.

I do agree that it would be handy to have auto BCC, as I still have a couple of POP accounts setup on my device (out of 8 total ) and that was how people back in the old days worked around one of the main limitations of POP3 mail servers. But those accounts are set to be upgraded once I deploy a new server here.

Then again, most people these days use webmail and/or servers that support IMAP, and because so many people have mobile devices these days, being able to see a common representation of one's mailbox on all devices is such a high priority these days that most people demand a "syncing paradigm" over the "store and retrieve" paradigm of the old days.

Also - I stopped looking at all my spam years ago once my incoming spam volume reached levels not practical to wade through manually. And I'm not talking about the trickle that most people think represents the total volume of spam, AFTER their ISP filters 95% of it out. I run the email server so I know what hits it from the internet at large. My incoming spam volume to my various email addresses I host myself had hit >1,000 per day years ago.

There are many antispam services out there, many of which can be added to existing email accounts. Most of the modern ones have a quarantine function or option (if you really want that) that holds the borderline messages in a "quarantine" accessible via a web interface, but automatically blocks the most egregious stuff since most people don't feel like wading through 1,000 junkmails a day.

Then again, one shouldn't have to "babysit the quarantine" anyway if the antispam solution is accurate enough. Many are not.

If you can run a Linux box I'd imagine you'd be capable of switching to a better email provider.
    08-18-13 06:31 AM
    why did i know this would turn into a mail-server debate?

my mailserver (it's my own dedicated server) and all my mail clients support IMAP.. i choose not to use it because it's a lot slower than POP with the amount of mail i deal with and keep.
    plus, with pop, i know i have my mail safely stored on 2 locations with redundant storage.
    08-19-13 02:12 AM
    why did i know this would turn into a mail-server debate?

my mailserver (it's my own dedicated server) and all my mail clients support IMAP.. i choose not to use it because it's a lot slower than POP with the amount of mail i deal with and keep.
    plus, with pop, i know i have my mail safely stored on 2 locations with redundant storage.

You realize you can use an IMAP client just like a POP client if you want, right?

(Probably not with Blackberries tho - but for example I have an email checker that among other things supports IMAP, which I have configured to only pay attention to the "inbox" on various IMAP accounts, and I can download stuff from there and delete from server to my hearts desire if I want to)
    08-21-13 03:06 PM