And how does that relate to addressing a major security flaw such as KRACK? This is not an exotic issue. Ever since the flaw was discovered, and that is meanwhile four months ago, they have been saying that they are examining whether it impacts BB10. I have been asking them several times since and always get the same crappy answer. Why cannot they be honest about what they are doing or rather not doing?
    It relates only to the extent that it's clear there is little to no capacity left to do anything with BB10. Everybody is gone.
    Bee Gee and HighFlight88 like this.
    01-10-18 08:53 PM
    Good point Conite! They could have people from QNX or hire consultants or outsource the patching work but everything *around* the fix (testing, release engineering, re-certification etc.) is also problematic.

Even perhaps when considering the corporate customers market?

I guess it will put pressure on BlackBerry to announce their offer to move people to BlackBerry Mobile devices before Q4 2019...

Posted via CB10
    01-10-18 09:16 PM
    It relates only to the extent that it's clear there is little to no capacity left to do anything with BB10. Everybody is gone.
    Good point Conite! They could have people from QNX...
    Posted via CB10
    I appears that I am not the only one who thinks QNX can work on BB10. The vulnerabilities recently discovered are at the OS level. People seem to gloss over the fact that BB10 is based on QNX Neutrino.
    01-10-18 10:47 PM
    I appears that I am not the only one who thinks QNX can work on BB10. The vulnerabilities recently discovered are at the OS level. People seem to gloss over the fact that BB10 is based on QNX Neutrino.
    Even if the skills are transferable - which they are likely not - the QNX people are busy on their own revenue-generating projects that have time-sensitive deliverables.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-10-18 11:04 PM
    So, empty promises then. At least it seems we can agree on this.
    01-10-18 11:25 PM
    So, empty promises then. At least it seems we can agree on this.
    Since BB10 hasn't been truly supported for over a year already (some would say 2), I never assumed it would improve. My only takeaway from the announcement was how long BlackBerry World and some of the services would be kept running.

It also made official what we all knew already.
    01-10-18 11:28 PM
    Since BB10 hasn't been truly supported for over a year already (some would say 2), I never assumed it would improve. My only takeaway from the announcement was how long BlackBerry World and some of the services would be kept running.

It also made official what we all knew already.
    If you assess that their statement only referred to the availability of BlackBerry World for two more years, you should read again.
    I keep being amazed how you can persist in defending Blackberry and associates even in cases where they are misleading, not to say cheating their customers, current or former.
    01-11-18 01:13 AM
    If you assess that their statement only referred to the availability of BlackBerry World for two more years, you should read again.
    I keep being amazed how you can persist in defending Blackberry and associates even in cases where they are misleading, not to say cheating their customers, current or former.
    I don't understand why you (or anyone "demanding" an official answer from BB) can't make your OWN decision about whether BB10's current level of "support" is sufficient for you or not. You can clearly see the limits of the "support" you are likely to receive, so why do you need BB to come out and say it?

Conite is right: "support" for BBOS/BB10 means they're keeping the servers running for 2 more years... and that's pretty much it. If you expect anything else, you're almost certainly going to be disappointed. So, based on that, you should be able to decide for yourself if you want to remain on BB10 *as is* or move on to something else. Almost everyone else has managed to make that decision on their own, and didn't need a BB announcement to do so.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Mecca EL like this.
    01-11-18 01:37 AM
    I am not naive so please do not treat me as such. The point I was trying to make is that patching a critical vulnerability is what can reasonably be understood as minimum support. It is not serious to keep stating that the issue is under review, thus creating legitimate expectations, while not doing anything about it in reality, as some seem to imply. Many of us would appreciate more honesty in this regard from Blackberry. if they are unwilling to patch the KRACK vulnerability, why not clearly say so?
    01-11-18 01:59 AM
    I am not naive so please do not treat me as such. The point I was trying to make is that patching a critical vulnerability is what can reasonably be understood as minimum support. It is not serious to keep stating that the issue is under review, thus creating legitimate expectations, while not doing anything about it in reality, as some seem to imply. Many of us would appreciate more honesty in this regard from Blackberry. if they are unwilling to patch the KRACK vulnerability, why not clearly say so?
    There four possibilities related to the KRACK vulnerability:
    1. BB10 is not vulnerable
    2. BB10 is vulnerable and someone is working on it
    3. BB10 is vulnerable and they don't plan to address it at all
    4. They don't think even investigating if BB10 is vulnerable or not is worth it

We can rule out option 1 because then BB would have announced it by now.

Option 2 is possible, but unlikely. Everyone else already put fixes out and the fix is pretty straightforward if you are a good developer. You don't even need to figure out the fix yourself, implementations are already available as part of open source solutions.

Option 3 is the most likely at this point. Coming out and saying "we are vulnerable and don't plan to fix it" also impact their MDM security reputation. At this point, no response is better than option 3

Option 4 is again highly unlikely as investigating doesn't cost that much compared to fixing it and then going through carriers to push the fix for everyone.

My opinion is that BB know that BB10 is vulnerable (the vulnerability is almost 4 months old now), but have decided that it's not worth fixing it.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    01-11-18 06:27 AM
    And how does that relate to addressing a major security flaw such as KRACK? This is not an exotic issue. Ever since the flaw was discovered, and that is meanwhile four months ago, they have been saying that they are examining whether it impacts BB10. I have been asking them several times since and always get the same crappy answer. Why cannot they be honest about what they are doing or rather not doing?
    There is a greater chance you win the lottery as sole winner than having your BB10 exploited through KRACK
    01-11-18 06:36 AM
    There is a greater chance you win the lottery as sole winner than having your BB10 exploited through KRACK
    They may also weigh the likelihood that someone will even bother to exploit the phones in this way.

Every time a story comes out like this, I never see stories where exploit are actually being used for massive breaches.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-11-18 06:49 AM
    The only support BlackBerry will offer to BB10 users is the trade in subsidy (which is the main reason I opened CB10 this morning - to see if about a month after announcing it they had details yet - which they don't).

Any expectation of patches or updates is a waste of time.

BlackBerry was waiting for the last one out to turn off the lights, but because it was taking longer than they wanted, they've decided they'll turn the lights off officially next year.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-18 07:11 AM
    But, but, but I thought they were committed to bb10. Thurber said so. I guess that goes in the Pants On Fire column.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    01-11-18 07:56 AM
    the company has their head up their 4ss when it comes to security. or perhaps in the sand...wishing the 'badguys' would just go away so they can go back to pretending.

btw, applying a patch to wpa and recompiling wouldnt require any bb10-specific developers now would it? the spectre flaw is another story.

Posted via CBX
    01-11-18 09:51 AM
    I'm going to back to what I said earlier. It's about wasting resources on something if they don't have too. BB is speeding up the process that happens in 23 months anyway. It's forcing BBOS and BB10 customers to move sooner and it's letting Spectre / Meltdown take blame.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 01-11-18 at 12:02 PM.
    01-11-18 09:59 AM
    Did I miss a statement from BlackBerry about BB10 and KRACK? I don't remember anything from BlackBerry in reference to BB10 on KRACK or any other current security vulnerabilities.
    01-11-18 11:56 AM
    Did I miss a statement from BlackBerry about BB10 and KRACK? I don't remember anything from BlackBerry in reference to BB10 on KRACK or any other current security vulnerabilities.
    See what I wrote in another thread.
    01-11-18 01:56 PM
    Maybe true, but why did others the rush out to patch their systems if the flaw is so anodine?
    01-11-18 02:01 PM
    after probably a couple dozen devices, I for one, certainly wont be putting any more money on a product with the blackberry name attached to it.

Posted via CBX
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    01-11-18 02:45 PM
    after probably a couple dozen devices, I for one, certainly wont be putting any more money on a product with the blackberry name attached to it.
    I expect they are very upset to hear this.
    01-11-18 03:17 PM

Posted via CBX
    Since they make no devices, BB doesn't care.
    01-11-18 03:27 PM
    this includes self-aware vehicles or whatnot. bitterness runs deep.

Posted via CBX
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    01-11-18 04:31 PM
    I'm sure they do care, they want licensing revenue to eventually match software revenue. The only immediate way for that to happen IMO is if BB Android and BBM do well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...revenue-growth
    01-11-18 05:20 PM
    I'm sure they do care, they want licensing revenue to eventually match software revenue. The only immediate way for that to happen IMO is if BB Android and BBM do well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...revenue-growth
    They only care about servicing their customers and it's obvious that doesn't include end users.
    01-11-18 05:37 PM
99 1234