With the official EOL for Blackberry 10 fast approaching in Q4 2019, We should be making a concerted effort to expose as many vulnerabilities in the OS as is feasible before developer support is pulled for eternity.

Starting with the most obvious and well documented public exploits Krack, Meltdown and Specter. I am looking to hire developers to poke around with these exploits to see whether BB10 is affected by them and if so to what extent, I will be updating this thread with my findings.

I urge everyone with similar interests and more importantly expertise be involved in this thread and raise any and all security concerns here.
    05-20-18 12:19 AM
    With the official EOL for Blackberry 10 fast approaching in Q4 2019, We should be making a concerted effort to expose as many vulnerabilities in the OS as is feasible before developer support is pulled for eternity.

Starting with the most obvious and well documented public exploits Krack, Meltdown and Specter. I am looking to hire developers to poke around with these exploits to see whether BB10 is affected by them and if so to what extent, I will be updating this thread with my findings.

I urge everyone with similar interests and more importantly expertise be involved in this thread and raise any and all security concerns here.
    Krack was patched with OS 10.3.3.3216.

With less than a million BB10 users left, I don't suspect a lot of activity in this regard.
    KellyM4 likes this.
    05-20-18 05:12 AM
    How much are you paying for these developer positions?
    05-20-18 10:01 AM
    For the record, there were no report of meltdown/spectre exploits on snapdragon CPUs.

That doesn't prevent exploit testing for sure, but after so many months, it seems to me that it would have been uncovered already; the attack strategy is now well documented and the vulnerability found in via, AMD and arm, after Intel CPUs.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-18 10:01 AM
    For the record, there were no report of meltdown/spectre exploits on snapdragon CPUs.

That doesn't prevent exploit testing for sure, but after so many months, it seems to me that it would have been uncovered already; the attack strategy is now well documented and the vulnerability found in via, AMD and arm, after Intel CPUs.

Posted via CB10
    Well, the vulnerability is well-documented right now. It's simply a matter of someone deciding to take advantage of it - AND you finding out about it.
    05-20-18 10:09 AM
    Hmm,it is very interesting the new CB user (OP) join the board in April and 1st post is asking dev to hack the OS... very unique user profile (although it is blank so far officially). Noted for sure. (CB usually is helping members or "fan" site for BB, except few "haters" drop by occationally out of curiosity. you really stand out otherwise).
    BoneMatrix likes this.
    05-20-18 10:29 AM
    KRACK has been patched for anyone who wants to install the patched OS. I think it very unlikely that anyone could successfully breach a patched BB10 device through that vulnerability. Spectre/Meltdown are not a known vulnerability for the BB10 device SoCs.

BB10 may be limited in apps, but by all accounts it is very secure.

You'd have much more fun pentesting a budget Android from ZTE, Blu, etc.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    ketharapusreekanth likes this.
    05-20-18 11:57 AM
    KRACK has been patched for anyone who wants to install the patched OS. I think it very unlikely that anyone could successfully breach a patched BB10 device through that vulnerability. Spectre/Meltdown are not a known vulnerability for the BB10 device SoCs.

You'd have much more fun pentesting a budget Android from ZTE, Blu, etc.

The Cortex-A9 ARM cores in the S4 are absolutely vulnerable to Spectre (but not Meltdown).

Also, the Cortex-A15 in the Passport is equally vulnerable to Spectre.
    Last edited by conite; 05-20-18 at 12:27 PM.
    05-20-18 12:05 PM
    The Cortex-A9 ARM cores in the S4 are absolutely vulnerable to Spectre (but not Meltdown).
    Thanks for the clarification. Wouldn't BB10's OS controls make Spectre difficult to exploit? Most exploits on Windows compromise drivers and other low level functions to exploit Spectre, and that would be much more difficult in BB10, wouldn't it?

05-20-18 12:13 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. Wouldn't BB10's OS controls make Spectre difficult to exploit? Most exploits on Windows compromise drivers and other low level functions to exploit Spectre, and that would be much more difficult in BB10, wouldn't it?

Exploiting Spectre is not a trivial matter anyway. I also doubt BB10 is first in the line of fire for eager hackers.

Most of the successful mitigations have been implemented through browser updates though, and as we know, the BB10 browser is hopelessly lagging in this regard.
    05-20-18 12:28 PM
    Exploiting Spectre is not a trivial matter anyway. I also doubt BB10 is first in the line of fire for eager hackers.

Most of the successful mitigations have been implemented through browser updates though, and as we know, the BB10 browser is hopelessly lagging in this regard.
    If the BlackBerry Browser is Mozilla Firefox-based, as I seem to recall, then I suppose it might be vulnerable to timing attacks. If it is, then I agree with you that it's not trivia to exploit, it's probably not a priority for any hacker community, and that it's certainly not been patched.

05-20-18 01:02 PM
    If the BlackBerry Browser is Mozilla Firefox-based, as I seem to recall, then I suppose it might be vulnerable to timing attacks.
    Fairly sure that it is safari based and not mozilla. Someone may correct me.
    05-20-18 02:29 PM
    Ah. In think I assumed that because I seem to remember that is used to be detected as Firefox on websites back in 2013.

05-20-18 02:35 PM
    I found this article about how BlackBerry 10 Browser was much faster than Safari in 2013-14:

https://bgr.com/2014/02/06/blackberr...phone-android/

Those were the days, when we BlackBerry 10 users had the best mobile browser in existence, by a wide margin. I think that's why I always assumed it was Firefox-based.

05-20-18 02:39 PM
    If the BlackBerry Browser is Mozilla Firefox-based, as I seem to recall, then I suppose it might be vulnerable to timing attacks. If it is, then I agree with you that it's not trivia to exploit, it's probably not a priority for any hacker community, and that it's certainly not been patched.

Regarding timing, this was brought up a few months ago but I'm not sure if anyone followed up on it. If they're correct it's possible BB10 may mitigate it to some extent.

https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13113233
    05-20-18 02:42 PM
    Closest, it is Netkit based.
    05-20-18 03:32 PM
    Krack was patched with OS 10.3.3.3216.
    just amazing lol i picked through the forum and was sure blackberry never made more than the announcement about "looking into it". super helpful especially given my z30 isn't running this version yet!
    05-20-18 04:08 PM
    How much are you paying for these developer positions?
    really not sure, probably not wise to talk prices openly but i don't plan to pay more than $100 at most for public exploit testing, however if there is good reason why more is deserved i would be ok to bump up the price to whatever is reasonable.
    05-20-18 04:13 PM
    really not sure, probably not wise to talk prices openly but i don't plan to pay more than $100 at most for public exploit testing, however if there is good reason why more is deserved i would be ok to bump up the price to whatever is reasonable.
    You're probably out by 2 orders of magnitude.
    05-20-18 04:28 PM
    Hmm,it is very interesting the new CB user (OP) join the board in April and 1st post is asking dev to hack the OS... very unique user profile (although it is blank so far officially). Noted for sure. (CB usually is helping members or "fan" site for BB, except few "haters" drop by occationally out of curiosity. you really stand out otherwise).
    HAHA thank you! I joined in April planning to ask with some help making an open source android app work on BB10 (serval mesh) but never thought of how to word it properly and thought it isn't the coolest way to make my debut on the site. whatever info on my profile comes from my google account which i used to set it up.

Now make no mistake this is one of the most important threads on Blackberry 10, Blackberry is meant to be the mobile security company of Champions and once Governments. If any of these public and now dated exploits are vulnerable then we as a community owe it to ourselves to burn blackberry to the ground over it with videos, tutorials, memes etc till they issue patches for what is currently and until Q4 2019 a supported (security only) product.

Even if my intentions were to be the number 1 Blackberry haxor this thread only benefits blackberry users! be it we are given security patches or direct proof we have been abandoned and its time to buy an iPhone.
    05-20-18 04:35 PM
    You're probably out by 2 orders of magnitude.
    I really might be, if i can get a confident and trustworthy Dev i wont mind paying them what they deserve. thanks for the heads up lol
    05-20-18 04:38 PM
    If any of these public and now dated exploits are vulnerable then we as a community owe it to ourselves to burn blackberry to the ground over it with videos, tutorials, memes etc till they issue patches for what is currently and until Q4 2019 a supported (security only) product.

Even if my intentions were to be the number 1 Blackberry haxor this thread only benefits blackberry users! be it we are given security patches or direct proof we have been abandoned and its time to buy an iPhone.
    Really? Really???!!! Get over it.

---={////]--[ Dispensed on my BlackBerry Passport 
    05-20-18 04:59 PM
    Spectre/Meltdown are not a known vulnerability for the BB10 device SoCs.
    Indeed Spectre and Meltdown are current unknowns on BB10 hence the thread.
    assuming Blackberry has good security is not the purpose of this thread, the idea is to break BB10 in all ways possible (as conite said there are good leads) and be rewarded with patches or a highly informed opinion on whether we should continue using BB10 devices. either way once this thread reaches its conclusion we will all be safer.
    05-20-18 05:03 PM
    Closest, it is Netkit based.
    Did you mean Webkit? Never heard of a Netkit browser engine.
    05-20-18 05:12 PM
    Really? Really???!!! Get over it.

---={////]--[ Dispensed on my BlackBerry Passport 
    yeah just get over potentially crippling security holes that we fully deserve patches for. what is in it for you to take issue with a serious attempt at bettering us all? your using a passport ffs lol do you not want it fully patched?

I assume you don't want to hurt Blackberry's feelings which need i remind you is a corporate entity who could right now be fully comfortable letting you and everyone else on Blackberry 10 rot, this thread is really the only hope to mitigate that if its the case.

I personally want to buy full replacement parts for my Z30 to make it like brand new and that cost is upwards of $130, not something i'm gonna pay for anything less than the most secure smartphone OS.
    05-20-18 05:13 PM
75 123