So just to be clear... you can't surf the Web and be on the phone at the same time with iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    Yes you can. I do it all the time.
    06-07-15 03:55 PM
    OK, before people start writing about true multitasking and all that jazz read the whole post first...iPhone might be capable of multitasking...... do this. Try making a call on your BlackBerry and then once that call connects play music. The person on the phone should be able to talk to you while music is playing on your phone. The person on the other end won't be able to hear the music coming from your phone either.

My wife (iphone6 user) discovered this and she is the furthest thing from a techie. She called me and by accident hit the play button on her iPhone music app. I couldn't hear the music playing on her phone, but she could hear me speaking while hearing her music. It seems that the speakers at the top of the phone was transmitting the call and the one at the bottom played the music.

I am a BlackBerry evangelist, but I am curious to know if this a glitch on ios 8 or a known feature. I am also curious why BB10 currently doesn't support this.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    When would this be useful.?
    06-07-15 04:04 PM
    While I myself could care less about that feature what bugs me is the browser doesn't continue to load while in an active frame and neither does tapatalk.
    Here you go kbz1960... it even has screen refresh
    Something IPhone does that BB10 can't? (multitasking?)-img_20150607_171100.jpg

Posted via CB10
    grover5 and kbz1960 like this.
    06-07-15 04:43 PM
    Closed for review
    06-07-15 04:44 PM
    [WARN]Cleanup complete. Less than civil comments (and where they were quoted) have been deleted.

While it is OK to disagree and debate, it is not acceptable to insult someone or belittle their statements. If you can't participate in the discussion without getting personal, move on to another thread. Any further insulting comments will result in an immediate infraction.[/WARN]
    06-07-15 05:01 PM
    So just to be clear... you can't surf the Web and be on the phone at the same time with iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    AT&T touted this in one of their commercials. Not necessarily phone-specific, just that AT&T allows it on their network. The commercial i believe implied that Verizon customers couldn't do this.
    06-07-15 05:40 PM
    BlackBerry can do this, they just intentionally disallow it. BlackBerry's don't audio multitask.

With anything playing audio routed through speaker/audio channel will stop what was previously playing and start playing the activated audio.

I've had whatsapp play it's voicenotes while my music was playing which I'm sure was a bug.

You're right though, BlackBerry doesn't do this.

I do wish they allowed a full desktop type of functionality with audio multitasking. But that might be not user friendly.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-07-15 06:39 PM
    BlackBerry can do this, they just intentionally disallow it. BlackBerry's don't audio multitask.

With anything playing audio routed through speaker/audio channel will stop what was previously playing and start playing the activated audio.

I've had whatsapp play it's voicenotes while my music was playing which I'm sure was a bug.

I do wish they allowed a full desktop type of functionality with audio multitasking. But that might be not user friendly.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry's audio management is both automatic and voluntary. The automatic part will cause some audio to be played quieter depending on what other more important audio is playing. The voluntary part let's apps that make noise say whether or not they are a media player. The system notifies players when they can play and when they should pause. This system allows any kind of player to behave nicely in the system.
    An app that plays music but doesn't participate as a 'media player ' in the system won't be automatically paused by anything. But would have its volume automatically lowered when appropriate.

Has zero to do with multitasking limitations of any kind.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor and Soul_Est like this.
    06-07-15 06:51 PM
    Why would anyone want to play music while on a voice call at all? lol...
    06-07-15 07:38 PM
    I understand everyone's point but at the same time any type of multitasking should be available to us, especially because bb10 is the king(scratch that) God of a multitasking OS.
    I could see a music artist asking someone to review a song while on the phone with the reviewer. They could have a two-way conversation while comment on the track running over the conversation.
    I think one of the issues I have with BlackBerry is that when there is an option available on an older bb10 and an update comes out and changes the option, we don't have a choice to change it. I am sure they have their reasons but I prefer choice sometimes.

Posted via CB10
    Playbook OS is the "God of...multitasking", not BB10.
    06-07-15 09:18 PM
    Playbook OS is the "God of...multitasking", not BB10.
    Truer words have not yet been said. The PlayBook was (and still is) the God Emperor of Multitasking.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    06-07-15 09:41 PM
    BlackBerry's don't audio multitask.

Not true. BlackBerry 10 can play audio from multiple sources simultaneously. I've done it before and I just did it again now to make sure before posting. Want proof? Just open up any media file such as video, MP3, YouTube (or whatever else) and then go into the Facebook for BlackBerry 10 app and find a video that someone posted. You'll see that the audio from both play simultaneously. The fact that there's provision in some apps to disable playing from two sources simultaneously doesn't mean BlackBerry 10 doesn't or can't audio multitask.

Regarding playing music while on a phone call, I would absolutely not want this "feature" and would consider it a bug if I ever encountered it. Another "feature" in iOS that I would definitely not want is vibrating notifications while on a phone call. It's super annoying.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-07-15 10:02 PM
    There's one use case scenario Mecca listed that is pretty cool.

Remember when folks touted the ability to play 5 YouTube videos simultaneously as a multitasking feature of the then unreleased BB10? That was funny...
    06-07-15 10:08 PM
    Yeah but he said he could not hear the music on the other end.

Posted via CB10
    BAM! You should be a lawyer.

I'm just spit-balling here, but if we're going to debate multi-tasking efficiency...wouldn't it be just as, if not more, effective to have the conversation with the engineer via text/IM so you can fully engage your ears and not be talking over the music being analyzed? If he can't hear what you're listening to as you're listening to it, he needs to remain silent anyway so he doesn't talk over a part you're trying to hear, and you'll have to explain what you're listening to either as you're hearing it (in which case you're talking over it and not listening) or immediately after...in which case you're recounting to him what you've heard, and not really multitasking so much as doing things consecutively rapidly. And i'm assuming this isn't being done while driving or otherwise occupied, as again, that's splitting your limited faculties and giving the song short shrift.

I mean I think what would be really cool is the idea that you can BOTH hear the music, almost like screen sharing but for audio. That duplicates the experience of both of you sitting in the booth.

Can he hear the music if you put him on speaker and then turn the music volume up?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mhg0157; 06-08-15 at 01:30 AM.
    06-08-15 12:51 AM
    Yeah but he said he could not hear the music on the other end.

Posted via CB10
    Right.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 05:23 AM
    AT&T touted this in one of their commercials. Not necessarily phone-specific, just that AT&T allows it on their network. The commercial i believe implied that Verizon customers couldn't do this.
    Verizon phones used to be unable to do data and phone calls at the same time. This is being changed with the advent of the VOLTE rollout.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 05:26 AM
    "OMG Krystal! Have you heard that song by Pitbull, LMFAO, Niki, Ariana, Ke$ha and Rhianna with cameos by Taylor Swift, J Lo and Iggy? I just love the way he says Mr Worldwide like 57 thousand times! Here girl, let me roll that thing for you, it is totes magoats!"
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-15 05:39 AM
    "OMG Krystal! Have you heard that song by Pitbull, LMFAO, Niki, Ariana, Ke$ha and Rhianna with cameos by Taylor Swift, J Lo and Iggy? I just love the way he says Mr Worldwide like 57 thousand times! Here girl, let me roll that thing for you, it is totes magoats!"
    Except, as the OP said, the people on the other end of the call can't hear the music.
    06-08-15 06:46 AM
    The person would just share the youtube link

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 09:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Actually BB10 does Audio/Video multitasking!
    I have been able to have the Video (+Audio) stream to a TV while streaming Music to a Bluetooth device all at the same time. The TV was inside the house while the Harmann Kardon speakers were outside at the Barbecue spot.
    mithrazor likes this.
    06-08-15 09:13 AM
    That's like, totally, BlackBerry's niche.

/sarcasm

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 09:29 AM
    Verizon phones used to be unable to do data and phone calls at the same time. This is being changed with the advent of the VOLTE rollout.

Posted via CB10
    We've been able to do this for quite some time now...for years...on all 4GLTE phones.
    Implementing VoLTE allows them to retire the CDMA network for voice calling.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL, rthonpm and 21stNow like this.
    06-08-15 09:37 AM
    Who would even want such a feature? Non-starter for me.
    06-08-15 10:26 AM
    I can browse on the Web, create a document, share it via bbm/email, meanwhile I'm on a phone call

Posted via Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    Mecca EL and Kimberella like this.
    06-08-15 10:54 AM
    Just imagine the benefits of being able to have better hold music when we are waiting to talk to a company that has bad hold music. OK not really interested in this

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 11:13 AM
69 123