So I was on the phone last night (BBM call) and while talking I decided to play a track for the person on the other end. I should add that I had my headphones plugged in but I connected to my music gateway thru BT and tried to play but the music player said the components needed to play the track were being used by another application, which I assumed was the call.
    I even changed the audio output to BT in the media player insisted of the headphone since I was using that for the call.

Assuming both Music and calls are both separate apps that you can have opened simultaneously and the external output for both are separated, i.e, Music plays thru BT and calls thru the headphones, this seems like something that should theoretically work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but why isn't this implemented in the OS.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 12:55 PM
    no you can't do both at once. While listening to music, a call will always cancel out the music and when you hang up, the music resumes.
    01-05-15 01:12 PM
    no you can't do both at once. While listening to music, a call will always cancel out the music and when you hang up, the music resumes.
    Obv u can't do both at once now. I just said all that in my post. I'm trying to find out if it's something that can be implemented in later OS. Cuz theoretically it sounds plausible. And if it can't be done, can someone explain to me why.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 01:15 PM
    So I was on the phone last night (BBM call) and while talking I decided to play a track for the person on the other end. I should add that I had my headphones plugged in but I connected to my music gateway thru BT and tried to play but the music player said the components needed to play the track were being used by another application, which I assumed was the call.
    I even changed the audio output to BT in the media player insisted of the headphone since I was using that for the call.

Assuming both Music and calls are both separate apps that you can have opened simultaneously and the external output for both are separated, i.e, Music plays thru BT and calls thru the headphones, this seems like something that should theoretically work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but why isn't this implemented in the OS.

Posted via CB10
    The output still will have to go through the single sound channel. What you are suggesting is something like opening windows media player and iTunes on the computer and both of them playing music at the same time. Kind of confusing to both the caller and listener.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 01:28 PM
    What you are suggesting is something like opening windows media player and iTunes on the computer and both of them playing music at the same time.
    Computer hardware is capable of mixing and redirecting multiple sources. iTunes and WMP will work simultaneously with no issues. You can even start multiple instances of KMPlayer or VLC, for example, play a different movie with sound on each one, then play Music on WMP and sing along on a microphone, all in the same time. Sound from one of the players may be directed to the headphones, from the other to the optical output, for example, or mixed together. Mobile hardware and OS are not designed to have such abilities.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 02:09 PM
    Computer hardware is capable of mixing and redirecting multiple sources. iTunes and WMP will work simultaneously with no issues. You can even start multiple instances of KMPlayer or VLC, for example, play a different movie with sound on each one, then play Music on WMP and sing along on a microphone, all in the same time. Sound from one of the players may be directed to the headphones, from the other to the optical output, for example, or mixed together. Mobile hardware and OS are not designed to have such abilities.

Posted via CB10
    Only if you have two sound cards and at least one of them smart enough to know which sound it needs to play... a BT is not a sound card... It is a transmitter/receiver..
    Mixing does happen on BB10 phones with certain apps where both apps are using different programs to decode audio.... with phone calls mixing would be a very annoying experience IMO...

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 02:19 PM
    Probably a design choice and a good one in my opinion!

Posted from my Square Monstrosity!
    der_mit likes this.
    01-05-15 02:25 PM
    Just share the song with the other person via BBM. Then they can play it on their device directly.
    01-05-15 02:39 PM
    Only if you have two sound cards and at least one of them smart enough to know which sound it needs to play...
    No, just one sound card is needed. All of them can mix multiple sound sources. I'm writing this post on my Acer Extensa laptop, playing 2 different movies on 2 open KMPlayer instances and a mp3 file on Media Player in the same time. The resulting sound is a mix of all 3 sound sources and is not really usable, but it's possible. On my HTPC I can listen to music on headphones on 3.5mm jack of ASUS Xonar audio card, in the same time someone else can watch a movie with 5.1 sound redirected through optical TosLink connection on the same audio card. Not a problem to do those things on a computer.
    01-05-15 02:56 PM
    No, just one sound card is needed. All of them can mix multiple sound sources. I'm writing this post on my Acer Extensa laptop, playing 2 different movies on 2 open KMPlayer instances and a mp3 file on Media Player in the same time. The resulting sound is a mix of all 3 sound sources and is not really usable, but it's possible. On my HTPC I can listen to music on headphones on 3.5mm jack of ASUS Xonar audio card, in the same time someone else can watch a movie with 5.1 sound redirected through optical TosLink connection on the same audio card. Not a problem to do those things on a computer.
    Like I said.. on BB10.. if you are playing a YouTube video on FastTube that utilizes BB10 decoder, at the same time you can play a video on Kalemsoft Media player which uses a decoder of it's own..
    For headphones example, headphone jack and digital output are essentially two different things.. for digital out audio is decoded by a different component i.e T.V or AV receiver..

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 03:17 PM
    Correct, in mobile OS many apps rely on a built-in decoder, therefore can't use it in the same time. But there is no need to do that anyway on a single output. In computers very few programs rely on sound card's decoder, almost all have their own.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 03:25 PM
    So is this possible or nah? Cuz I think it would be dope for me to be able to continue to play music thru BT if I plugged in my headphones to answer a call.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 03:34 AM