Maybe, people are looking for something different. This week two people asked if my Passport was a new BlackBerry phone.
    And so what ? BlackBerry tried for years to sell BB10 devices, and never gained any money from it.

No other OEM licenced BB10.

Having some people wanting an alternative doesn't mean that it would be viable to produce and sell it.

Beside, Sailfish is still available for those wanting something different from iOS or Android.

Posted via CB10
    glwerry likes this.
    01-20-18 04:57 AM
    And so what ? BlackBerry tried for years to sell BB10 devices, and never gained any money from it.

Having some people wanting an alternative doesn't mean that it would be viable to produce and sell it.

Beside, Sailfish is still available for those wanting something different from iOS or Android.

Posted via CB10
    Has there aver been a Sailfish OS forum? I know there's a Palm/webOS forum that still lives.
    01-20-18 05:14 AM
    Maybe, people are looking for something different. This week two people asked if my Passport was a new BlackBerry phone.
    So? If they wanted it they could buy it. If I want a phone badly enough I will buy it used off ebay if necessary.

If all these billions of people (LOL at that other thread) really were so desperate to leave IOS/Android they would have done so. But they didn't go to BB10. They didn't go to Windows Phone. They didn't go to Fire Phone. They didn't go to Firefox OS. They didn't go to Tizen. They aren't going to Sailfish. No, even with all the other choices that have come and gone, >99% of people who buy phones are overly content with the two predominant operating systems.
    01-20-18 05:57 AM
    Has there aver been a Sailfish OS forum? I know there's a Palm/webOS forum that still lives.
    There are a few communities but I don't think Mobile Nations has any.
    01-20-18 10:29 AM
    Since 2013 consumers have had the following choices for a modern smartphone OS (I'm only counting systems that made it to retail),

- iOS
    - Android
    - Windows Phone
    - Tizen
    - Sailfish OS
    - Firefox OS
    - Ubuntu Touch
    - Fire OS

Realistically, I doubt many consumers realize what OS their devices run and the differences between them. I wouldn't be surprised if brand names (Apple, Samsung, etc) sell devices more than the OS in the grand scheme of things.
    01-20-18 10:40 AM
    Since 2013 consumers have had the following choices for a modern smartphone OS (I'm only counting systems that made it to retail),

- iOS
    - Android
    - Windows Phone
    - Tizen
    - Sailfish OS
    - Firefox OS
    - Ubuntu Touch
    - Fire OS

Realistically, I doubt many consumers realize what OS their devices run and the differences between them. I wouldn't be surprised if brand names (Apple, Samsung, etc) sell devices more than the OS in the grand scheme of things.
    I believe that is the case. Isn't Samsung one of few making money on Android phones?
    01-20-18 10:52 AM
    I believe that is the case. Isn't Samsung one of few making money on Android phones?
    Of "traditional" OEM's I think so but OEM's from emerging markets tend to have a better track record.

Move over Samsung: Huawei is the most profitable Android smartphone supplier | South China Morning Post
    01-20-18 11:38 AM
    It could be a sheep! 🤔
    A sheep running Hypervisor?
    Five sheep team in a barn in the back of the farm.
    Five dark Lithuanian sheep.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    01-20-18 12:13 PM

- iOS
    - Android
    - Windows Phone
    - Tizen
    - Sailfish OS
    - Firefox OS
    - Ubuntu Touch
    - Fire OS

People cry that there aren't more options, but there have been! But those other options didn't sell! Yes we have a duopoly, but it's a consumer driven duopoly. Maybe equally so, it's a developer driven duopoly too. I'm sure some of the largest software companies wish there was only Android or only IOS and not both. Would save a lot of overhead!

And you're right that the brand holds more importance than the OS at this point, but more or less Samsung implies Android anyway. It's a safe choice for many buyers.
    01-20-18 01:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    No handsets with BB10 will be produced. This about software.

I am asking if there may be interest in loading (for a price) a somewhat improved version of BB10 on licensees' Android devices. Also, Sailfish uses Linux just like Android runs on Linux, not Neutrino.

Instead, people are focusing on the business case instead of requirements (the needed minimal improvements to keep costs low) to generate interest. A path of incremental improvements may be the best way.
    01-22-18 12:30 PM
    I'm sure some of the largest software companies wish there was only Android or only IOS and not both. Would save a lot of overhead!
    I ran into a quote from an app developer in the last couple of months. He stated that they had settled on SEPARATE iOS and Android teams.
    It just wasn't working to have people working on both iOS and Android projects - it was more efficient to have dedicated teams.

I understand that - I'm a maintenance programmer / analyst in a small shop. I am spread over multiple platforms and languages and occasionally I find myself trying to code language A in language B's environment!
    01-22-18 04:59 PM
    No handsets with BB10 will be produced. This about software.

I am asking if there may be interest in loading (for a price) a somewhat improved version of BB10 on licensees' Android devices. Also, Sailfish uses Linux just like Android runs on Linux, not Neutrino.

Instead, people are focusing on the business case instead of requirements (the needed minimal improvements to keep costs low) to generate interest. A path of incremental improvements may be the best way.
    It's software development of BB10 which costs more than launching devices.

Maintaining an up to date BB10 would require massive investment in a huge development team.

You can't build an OS with three guys in the basement.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-18 07:27 AM
    It's software development of BB10 which costs more than launching devices.

Maintaining an up to date BB10 would require massive investment in a huge development team.

You can't build an OS with three guys in the basement.

Posted via CB10
    Hopefully everyone on this thread knows this is just an academic exercise. My company was a BB10 development partner and we remain an BlackBerry MDM partner. No one at BlackBerry Limited has any remote interest in returning to the mobile OS business. BlackBerry Limited does not consider BB10 part of their Enterprise Software Portfolio.
    glwerry likes this.
    01-23-18 03:20 PM
    But dunnot forget about geeks and IT enthusiasts, they will enjoy installing and playing with it, also they like to spend money in gadgets.

This people help a lot to Apple and the first macosX computers, most of them were not mac enthusiast and in fact probably many hate the apple brand.

But they had a good hardware, a unix flavour and the chance to install many linux distributions, even use at sametime. This people were a open door to a new market, support in many discussions...

Even google won popularity with its first version of android (just piece of crap, call it early beta would be too much), but they sold the open source benefits, and people bet and supported them.

BlackBerry had focused too much in corporation but they forgot about 'commoners' users and now it is too late...

Posted via CB10
    01-24-18 07:59 AM
    BB10 is not and never will be open-source, so that's irrelevant. The hardware will only accept BB-signed code, and BB won't be giving out its signing keys. BB is keeping the BB10 source code to themselves as well, and since they have no reason to work on it anymore, it's the end of the line for BB10.
    01-25-18 11:54 AM
    BB10 is not and never will be open-source, so that's irrelevant.
    Android is largely open source. So, BlackBerry could open source the Android Player, remove it from BB10 and make it available as a download from BlackBerry World. All this before BBW is taken down would really reward its customers' loyalty. I would prefer this to any joke of a trade in program.
    01-27-18 05:44 AM
    Android is largely open source. So, BlackBerry could open source the Android Player, remove it from BB10 and make it available as a download from BlackBerry World. All this before BBW is taken down would really reward its customers' loyalty. I would prefer this to any joke of a trade in program.
    Easier said than done. No one's left to work on BB10 anymore. Hard to even imagine BlackBerry having any interest with your proposal.
    01-27-18 05:57 AM
    Easier said than done. No one's left to work on BB10 anymore. Hard to even imagine BlackBerry having any interest with your proposal.
    Not to mention that they sold the buildings too.
    01-27-18 06:17 AM
    It's easier said than done.

I work as software developer myself and we have a piece of software that is comprised of several modules. One module was there from the beginning and was a mandatory module (meaning it was always turned on and always part of the code-flow).

Well, last year in March, it was decided that the module would become optional (as not all customers used it and it was consuming resources) and had to be user configurable. So the whole software had to work with or without the module. It took us 4 months (the initial estimate was 2 months) for the initial code changes, another 3 for fixing serious issues and even today we are fixing corner cases related to the removal of the module.

This generated a lot of trouble because a lot of code was written with the assumption that the module will always be there and finding and fixing all the pieces of code that result in a dead-end once the module is removed is not an easy task.

I imagine the same would happen when you try to remove the android-player. A lot of new dead-end code paths that need to be fixed.
    01-27-18 11:46 AM
    It's easier said than done.

I work as software developer myself and we have a piece of software that is comprised of several modules. One module was there from the beginning and was a mandatory module (meaning it was always turned on and always part of the code-flow).

Well, last year in March, it was decided that the module would become optional (as not all customers used it and it was consuming resources) and had to be user configurable. So the whole software had to work with or without the module. It took us 4 months (the initial estimate was 2 months) for the initial code changes, another 3 for fixing serious issues and even today we are fixing corner cases related to the removal of the module.

This generated a lot of trouble because a lot of code was written with the assumption that the module will always be there and finding and fixing all the pieces of code that result in a dead-end once the module is removed is not an easy task.

I imagine the same would happen when you try to remove the android-player. A lot of new dead-end code paths that need to be fixed.
    @DonHB is not interested in this kind of information. He simply won't accept that development is expensive, that BB10 is not desirable to enough people to matter, and that BlackBerry has already closed that door forever.
    Last edited by conite; 01-27-18 at 08:40 PM.
    01-27-18 12:46 PM
    @DonHB is not interested in this kind of information. He simply won't accept that development is expensive, that BB10 is not desirable to enough people to matter, and that BlackBerry hasn't already closed that door forever.
    More importantly, no one at BlackBerry Limited has any interest and more importantly Business reasons to work on BB10. The company has moved on.
    01-27-18 12:54 PM
    Well, last year in March, it was decided that the module would become optional (as not all customers used it and it was consuming resources) and had to be user configurable.
    Modular software that isn't modular, yep it happens.
    01-27-18 07:42 PM
272 ... 91011