The difference is that Essential is paying for hardware inventory while this theoretical idea is purely software and relies on using licensees' hardware. Of course there have been arguments as to why TCL would agree. There is also the question of why not? We don't know much about the terms of BlackBerry's Android licenses either.

How much of the $300 million is funding inventory? Do you have any idea?

This idea is NOT a DTEK redux.
    Irrelevant as nobody wants to license BB10.
    Carjackd and eshropshire like this.
    01-18-18 10:52 PM
    Irrelevant as nobody wants to license BB10.
    This idea is about existing BB10 and BBOS customers buying a BB10 autoloader for the Motion or some other licensee's device that, that customer purchased for use with the autoloader.

No one but the device owner is licensing BB10.
    01-18-18 11:04 PM
    This idea is about existing BB10 and BBOS customers buying a BB10 autoloader for the Motion or some other licensee's device that, that customer purchased for use with the autoloader.

Even if you had 5% buy-in of today's entire existing BB10/BBOS user base, you are only talking around 100,000 people.

So that's about $1000/ea for BlackBerry to break even. Add profit and ongoing support and you may be up to $1300 a head.

You think 100,000 people are willing to pay that kind of money?
    eshropshire likes this.
    01-18-18 11:41 PM

I think this is a great idea. Keeping the OS alive has value that might not be realized until after years when new options open up. It also enhances the brand. Chen threw away the best thing the company had. It wasn't keyboards.
    01-18-18 11:54 PM
    Chen threw away the best thing the company had. It wasn't keyboards.
    You mean the handset brand that lost them money every year since 2012 to the tune of many billions? That best thing?
    Carjackd and eshropshire like this.
    01-18-18 11:56 PM
    You mean the handset brand that lost them money every year since 2012 to the tune of many billions? That best thing?
    What's another billion or two between friends ?
    conite and eshropshire like this.
    01-19-18 12:00 AM
    delete
    Last edited by markmall; 01-19-18 at 12:06 AM. Reason: duplicate
    01-19-18 12:03 AM
    A piece of software. But while we are at it, is "Blackberry" just a "handset brand" to you? Then why does Chen force all his incubator startups to use it? Apparently, he thinks it has value.
    01-19-18 12:06 AM
    A piece of software. But while we are at it, is "Blackberry" just a "handset brand" to you? Then why does Chen force all his incubator startups to use it? Apparently, he thinks it has value.
    Where can I read about this?
    01-19-18 12:09 AM
    The customers in the non-handset industries don't give a sweet flying foxtrot about what BlackBerry is doing in the world of handsets.

As far as licencees go, the idea is that low-cost manufacturers might be able to make a go of device hardware where BlackBerry simply can't be competitive. So, the BlackBerry name in the handset business is only valued at what the licencees are willing to pay for it - nothing more. It would have been worth ZERO otherwise.
    01-19-18 12:21 AM
    Oh mama, this thread brings dump to my mind with his fake news award distribution & his stupid histrionics.

I'm not dissing posters pov btw.
    01-19-18 12:46 AM
    Where can I read about this?
    Haha! You mean like truck tracking systems?
    01-19-18 01:20 AM
    Haha! You mean like truck tracking systems?
    Where can I read about them using BB10 or its parts for Radar and other projects?
    01-19-18 04:56 AM
    Where can I read about them using BB10 or its parts for Radar and other projects?
    They dont. they use QNX as the base but not bb10 for most anything they do
    01-19-18 05:59 AM

You are overestimating the demand and technical expertise of people. Even with a guide in front of them, some people will miss steps in installing a new OS. Think of all the people who come here on CB for troubles related to OS reinstalling/updating.

Think of the desktop OS market where users actually have the possibility to install any OS on any hardware and have had that for decades. And still linux distributions come to under 2% share total, with it being free and easy to install (and also having an up-to-date browser experience). desktop Linux also has the "luck" of benefiting from all the work done to it to be used as a server OS. If linux was not so good for server work, the desktop variant would be so crippled in terms of hardware compatibility (kinda like BB10 is).

With the statistics out of the way, I am guessing under 10% of BB10 users have the technical knowledge and willingness to do such a thing.

Then half that for people who are actually willing to fork money for this separate to the device value. Remember the time when people on CB were saying that they showed their BB10 devices to friends/family and they were really impressed, but in the end nobody bought one? That's the problem when it comes to putting money where their mouths are, very few people do it.
    01-19-18 06:09 AM

But you keep going back to an OS that nobody (in viable numbers) wants. If there was any demand, the OS wouldn't have failed. If the OS is just sitting there and people exist to buy it, then seriously quit wasting time here and go make some real money since it's simple according to you. By your reasoning, BB is just leaving briefcase with a million dollars in the middle of the sidewalk.

These are reported sales for a new app to recreate BB10 functions. These developers are putting all types of effort into this project. Have you purchased it yet? Remember when you mention all those BB10 fans? Where are they when it comes to spending money?
    Carjackd likes this.
    01-19-18 06:19 AM
    You are overestimating the demand and technical expertise of people. Even with a guide in front of them, some people will miss steps in installing a new OS. Think of all the people who come here on CB for troubles related to OS reinstalling/updating.

Think of the desktop OS market where users actually have the possibility to install any OS on any hardware and have had that for decades. And still linux distributions come to under 2% share total, with it being free and easy to install (and also having an up-to-date browser experience). desktop Linux also has the "luck" of benefiting from all the work done to it to be used as a server OS. If linux was not so good for server work, the desktop variant would be so crippled in terms of hardware compatibility (kinda like BB10 is).

With the statistics out of the way, I am guessing under 10% of BB10 users have the technical knowledge and willingness to do such a thing.

Then half that for people who are actually willing to fork money for this separate to the device value. Remember the time when people on CB were saying that they showed their BB10 devices to friends/family and they were really impressed, but in the end nobody bought one? That's the problem when it comes to putting money where their mouths are, very few people do it.
    This is a very interesting post / point of view to me, and I will chime in.

Background - I have been programming / designing for > 37 years now, starting literally on punch-cards.
    I have transitioned from operating system to operating system probably 6 times, if you include BB10 - Android.

I have gone the route of replacing Windows on my home computer with a Linux distribution for several months.
    I WENT BACK TO WINDOWS. Why? I couldn't find certain key pieces of software in the Linux world that I wanted. The software was easily / cheaply available in Windows.
    And, the Windows world was pretty much seamless.

Taking this back to the phone world, I have now transitioned to Android and use certain Google apps for work that I deem as critical.

So, even if you develop a BB10 autoloader, I WOULD NOT GO BACK.

Regardless of price.

I'm sure that I'm not alone. So, this is part of your problem with the autoloader idea.
    ppeters914 and pdr733 like this.
    01-19-18 10:19 AM
    And for anyone saying that QNX has drivers for whatever processor and should be compatible with BB10, think again. Let's use the AMD radeon drivers for linux as an example: Linux Download Center

So even if different linux distributions have similar kernels, the drivers are still separated by distributions. The same difference could exist between pure QNX and whatever changes were made to it for BB10. There is also a separation between 32bit and 64bit versions for older driver version. BB10 is 32bit, but as far as i know, QNX moved to 64bit architecture.

Those QNX drivers may be a starting point for some drivers, but make no mistake it is not an easy task. It's a time consuming job to validate drivers and every bug found and change made requires retesting everything.
    01-19-18 11:48 AM

I have gone the route of replacing Windows on my home computer with a Linux distribution for several months.
    I WENT BACK TO WINDOWS. Why? I couldn't find certain key pieces of software in the Linux world that I wanted. The software was easily / cheaply available in Windows.
    And, the Windows world was pretty much seamless.
    The solutions presented here (AKA pure fantasy) are for those who want to keep using BB10 and know its limitations. Those who were affected by the app-gap and really needed certain apps are long gone and will not be coming back and are not even the target here.

I am sure that there are people out there willing to pay a lot of money for an updated version of BB10 with newer hardware and an updated browser. The problem is that that number is too low to cover the costs of said update.
    DonHB likes this.
    01-19-18 12:03 PM
    The solutions presented here (AKA pure fantasy) are for those who want to keep using BB10 and know its limitations. Those who were affected by the app-gap and really needed certain apps are long gone and will not be coming back and are not even the target here.

I am sure that there are people out there willing to pay a lot of money for an updated version of BB10 with newer hardware and an updated browser. The problem is that that number is too low to cover the costs of said update.
    We've been saying that since the beginning and yet here we are 25 pages with almost 250 posts..

I believe I this specific thread was intended as some kind of safe place in alternative reality.
    01-19-18 12:32 PM

BlackBerry Limited have zero interest in spending money to rebuild a BB10 for just a handful of hopeless conservative guys.

Posted via CB10
    pdr733 likes this.
    01-19-18 02:49 PM
    And for anyone saying that QNX has drivers for whatever processor and should be compatible with BB10, think again. Let's use the AMD radeon drivers for linux as an example: Linux Download Center

So even if different linux distributions have similar kernels, the drivers are still separated by distributions. The same difference could exist between pure QNX and whatever changes were made to it for BB10. There is also a separation between 32bit and 64bit versions for older driver version. BB10 is 32bit, but as far as i know, QNX moved to 64bit architecture.

Those QNX drivers may be a starting point for some drivers, but make no mistake it is not an easy task. It's a time consuming job to validate drivers and every bug found and change made requires retesting everything.
    Neutrino 7 is both 32 and 64-bit and supports the automobile specific version of Snapdragon, the 820A.
    01-19-18 04:02 PM
    Neutrino 7 is both 32 and 64-bit and supports the automobile specific version of Snapdragon, the 820A.
    Read his post again.
    01-19-18 05:13 PM
    We've been saying that since the beginning and yet here we are 25 pages with almost 250 posts..

I believe I this specific thread was intended as some kind of safe place in alternative reality.
    What’s 25 pages and 250 posts between friends ?
    01-19-18 09:00 PM
    Maybe, people are looking for something different. This week two people asked if my Passport was a new BlackBerry phone.
    01-19-18 10:22 PM
272 ... 891011