Hello there 'berry' fans....

So I have been trying out certain apps from the BlackBerry world, such a s the true caller, skype, hike, boat browser mini etc.. and what I have observed is that these apps rather runs similar to android applications. You know, like when you swipe down from the top, inside the app, the only options you have is to either resize the app screen or to enable/disable the navigation bar at the bottom. And this is way similar to the manner in which an android app works in BlackBerry.
    So, my question is this, the blackberry already gets complaints due to lack of apps and because of which it made the compatibility of android apps to its OS. But why doesn't these official apps work like a typical BlackBerry application instead of imitating the android ones?
    Could someone please enlighten me...

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 09:21 PM
    Because they are actually ports of Android applications. They are APKs converted to BARs and run on the Android runtime.
    01-16-16 09:43 PM
    FYI, the Skype app in BlackBerry World is discontinued. So you want to download Skype from Amazon app store.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 10:15 PM
    By discontinued, did you mean it is unavailable or it is no more updated?
    01-16-16 10:31 PM
    By discontinued, did you mean it is unavailable or it is no more updated?
    Both. Also, I'd disagree with your use of "official" as none of these apps claim "official" status, like "built for BlackBerry".

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 10:41 PM
    Both. Also, I'd disagree with your use of "official" as none of these apps claim "official" status, like "built for BlackBerry".

Posted via CB10
    Yeah ... (oopss..) my mistake. I mean I said so because I had downloaded these apps after visiting their official sites and they redirected me to the app in the BlackBerry world..
    Sorry...

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 12:39 AM
    They are "official" apps, meaning written and uploaded by the companies that created the service/platform/app, but they aren't necessarily native. Many of the apps in BB World are indeed Android apps packaged as a BAR file.
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-17-16 02:55 PM