Hello,

I have a few questions about BB10.

I've read that you no longer need a BB-plan, but you still need a data plan. Does this mean you NEED 3g connection? Nothing works over Wifi?

I don't know anyone who has a Blackberry so I don't think I will be using BBM, but is it possible to browse the internet, receive and send e-mails, use the App-store and download apps etc... via WiFi? Do the free apps require an internet connection?

Since I have a simple pre-paid SIM card this is an important question for me.

So... Which things require a data plan (3g connectivity) and which things work via WiFi?

One last question... Does anyone now if there will be themes on BB10 (like on Symbian where the whole UI changes: different icons etc)?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm completely new to Blackberry. My previous smartphones where a HTC Desire HD (Android), Nokia N8 (Symbian) and now I have a Nokia 808 PureView (Symbian). But I'm tired of those boring all-touch slabs and have completely fallen in love with the BB Q10.

Thank you!

PS: I'm from Belgium, sorry if my English isn't perfect...
    03-20-13 04:38 PM
    Ow yeah, one last question.

Does the screen turn on when you receive a text message (SMS)?
    03-20-13 04:58 PM
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    Please update your profile to include your device, carrier, and location. This makes it easier for others to help you.

Second, your English is great!

I'll try to tackle some of your questions...

I've read that you no longer need a BB-plan, but you still need a data plan. Does this mean you NEED 3g connection? Nothing works over Wifi?
    No quite the opposite. Everything works over Wi-Fi.

I don't know anyone who has a Blackberry so I don't think I will be using BBM, but is it possible to browse the internet, receive and send e-mails, use the App-store and download apps etc... via WiFi? Do the free apps require an internet connection?

Since I have a simple pre-paid SIM card this is an important question for me.

So... Which things require a data plan (3g connectivity) and which things work via WiFi?
    I'm not aware of any services only working with a data connection. It's all new, so maybe there is something that I haven't realized or read about yet.

BlackBerry World should work just fine over Wi-Fi. In fact any large apps must be downloaded over Wi-Fi. Likewise, your email and browser will too.
    There may be apps that require a data connection for some functions, but as a general rule all your apps that need data will work over Wi-Fi service.

The only possibility that exists is that your carrier requires a data plan, and somehow blocks features without one. You'll really have to call them to be certain.

One last question... Does anyone now if there will be themes on BB10 (like on Symbian where the whole UI changes: different icons etc)?
    Unknown at this time. In the somewhat near future, BB will unlock the ability for apps to run in the background with BB10. This might open up the possibility of "skinning" the icons and other theme-related features.

I believe I noticed an app by developer SCrApps in BB World that skinned a lot of the menus & title bars into different colours. Just remember that for the time being that such apps must be manually opened and left open for them to function.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm completely new to Blackberry. My previous smartphones where a HTC Desire HD (Android), Nokia N8 (Symbian) and now I have a Nokia 808 PureView (Symbian). But I'm tired of those boring all-touch slabs and have completely fallen in love with the BB Q10.
    The Q10 looks like it will be fantastic. Plus its battery life should be outstanding. I'm sure you'll love it!
    03-20-13 05:10 PM
    Ow yeah, one last question.

Does the screen turn on when you receive a text message (SMS)?
    No, not currently. The LED flashes and there is a tone or vibration, depending on your settings.

At present, only a phone call will wake up the black screen.
    03-20-13 05:11 PM
    Thank you so much for all the answers! I'm loving the Q10 more and more :-)

I'll update my profile tomorrow.
    03-20-13 05:17 PM