i wont get into how aggrevated i am or the injustice of it all, i just need answers. please dont let this thread turn into more rambling drivel.
    no talk of switching platforms either...that is not a solution.

certain unfriendly corporations (scotiabank, fido..) have taken to blocking blackberry users from accessing their services. this is based purely on the fact that we use a bb phone. as i see it, we need to patch their apps to block/spoof device recognition. if you can successfully do this, can you please post instructions?

Posted via CBX
    09-22-17 09:53 AM
    Ok I'll leave the snark out...

Can the android versions work? Or do they require 4.4 or above runtime?
    09-22-17 10:08 AM
    they work just fine. and were working fine. without any app or os updates, or changes, they became blocked or had some features blocked.

Posted via CBX
    09-22-17 10:12 AM
    The bottom line is no.

The app just can't properly authenticate on BB10 because of its ad-hoc/incompatible Runtime. This is just an unfortunate consequence of the new security features built into the app - nothing specifically targeted at BB10.

99% of the bank's user base is safer now.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    09-22-17 11:06 AM
    conite, nothing changed in the apps i'm referring to....one day they worked great, next they didnt work at all. we need to fight this kind of prejudice. there must be a way to simply fake the model of phone when the app looks it up. that would save us loyals tons of undeserved grief.

Posted via CBX
    09-22-17 12:18 PM
    conite, nothing changed in the apps i'm referring to....one day they worked great, next they didnt work at all. we need to fight this kind of prejudice. there must be a way to simply fake the model of phone when the app looks it up. that would save us loyals tons of undeserved grief.

Posted via CBX
    We don't run a fully compatible version of Android. It's hard to make an argument for support. They are locking out environments that look suspicious.
    09-22-17 12:26 PM
    it is perfectly compatible as it works/worked flawlessly. blackberry10 is anything but suspicious.

Posted via CBX
    09-22-17 12:28 PM
    I have a bank app that's no longer compatible on an Android tablet running Jellybean. It just stopped working.
    Unless the Android runtime for BB10 gets a significant update, apps will eventually malfunction/die.
    Last edited by johnny_bravo72; 09-22-17 at 01:22 PM.
    09-22-17 12:44 PM
    it is perfectly compatible as it works/worked flawlessly. blackberry10 is anything but suspicious.

Posted via CBX
    It's compatible with the app, but it doesn't return the correct results from an authentication query. The app rejects it because something is obviously amiss.
    09-22-17 01:11 PM
    I don't use my phone for banking, but what can a banking app do that can't be done through the BlackBerry browser?

Posted via CB10
    09-22-17 03:10 PM
    I don't use my phone for banking, but what can a banking app do that can't be done through the BlackBerry browser?

Posted via CB10
    Don't know specifically about banking apps, but I find many apps are just easier and / or faster than the aging BB10 browser.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.2205
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    09-22-17 03:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Mobile deposits for one.
    09-22-17 04:46 PM
    TD stopped supporting BB10. The browser version BlackBerry works fine is fast.
    CIBC same thing their mobile site on BlackBerry is also fast to load.

Deposits are the one thing that's missing. With the way things are going, checks will be obsolete in a few years if not sooner.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-17 05:01 PM
    All banks in the US and Canada recently raised their security standards as part of an agreement to expand mobile payments. This locked out older, less secure implementations/installs of apps, affecting older devices as well as devices that aren't running Google-certified Android with full GMS. Among the affected are BB10 users. But the bank knows that if mobile banking and mobile payments are important to you, you'll leave your non-supported platform (BB10 in this case) and move to a supported platform, so they have absolutely no intention of doing anything to help you stay on a non-supported, less-secure platform.
    glwerry likes this.
    09-22-17 08:15 PM
    TD still works. google can stay the f out of my finances.

Posted via CBX
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    09-22-17 08:21 PM
    TD still works. google can stay the f out of my finances.

Posted via CBX
    My friend I love BB10 just as much as you do but it really is a two sided coin. Or as they say, 6 of these or half a dozen of the other. The love we share for BB10 comes with some frustrations such as these and they are not likely to minimize. I decided to go with half a dozen of the other on Android where the frustrations reside in figuring out how to share as little with Google as possible without crippling the benefits of the experience. Blackberry's suite of software eased the pain.

One day you may have to make the choice and I can guarantee one thing........either side of the coin we won't be completely happy as we were three years ago when the Passport came out and BB10 was still doing well.
    09-22-17 09:32 PM
    My friend I love BB10 just as much as you do but it really is a two sided coin. Or as they say, 6 of these or half a dozen of the other. The love we share for BB10 comes with some frustrations such as these and they are not likely to minimize. I decided to go with half a dozen of the other on Android where the frustrations reside in figuring out how to share as little with Google as possible without crippling the benefits of the experience. Blackberry's suite of software eased the pain.

One day you may have to make the choice and I can guarantee one thing........either side of the coin we won't be completely happy as we were three years ago when the Passport came out and BB10 was still doing well.
    I hope you are finding happiness and success in that endeavour, but some of us are also IT support and CSO for our family. Google is a privacy concern, but while a lot of what they do I find creepy and distasteful, I don't believe Google would ever do something intentional to compromise security. The big problem with security on Android is that Google is still in the reactive model; wait until something is found, then fix it. Rapid patching is the most visible aspect of this model (see discussions of BlueBorne elsewhere) but their eco system hygiene is another example. Below is a link to the latest in a long line of instances maleware in the echo system. Google may do something about this app now, but they are smart enough to do something proactive to find this kind of activity before approving the application in Play.

https://betanews.com/2017/09/21/go-k...pying-warning/

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    09-23-17 07:14 AM
    I hope you are finding happiness and success in that endeavour, but some of us are also IT support and CSO for our family. Google is a privacy concern, but while a lot of what they do I find creepy and distasteful, I don't believe Google would ever do something intentional to compromise security. The big problem with security on Android is that Google is still in the reactive model; wait until something is found, then fix it. Rapid patching is the most visible aspect of this model (see discussions of BlueBorne elsewhere) but their eco system hygiene is another example. Below is a link to the latest in a long line of instances maleware in the echo system. Google may do something about this app now, but they are smart enough to do something proactive to find this kind of activity before approving the application in Play.

https://betanews.com/2017/09/21/go-k...pying-warning/

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Wow I really thought Google was now doing a better job with their apps filtering Security. I see news headlines stating Apple has to remove many apps from their iTunes app Store also so I don't think it's just Google.
    With that said what choice do we have in the long run is my points. Not much as I see it and that's why it's saddens me that BB10 is down for the count.
    09-23-17 07:45 AM
    Now that make me wonder about Textra and Yaata messaging app on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ that people are using. Perhaps Blackberry should make theirs own texting app if they are truly invested in Security.
    09-23-17 07:53 AM
    Now that make me wonder about Textra and Yaata messaging app on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ that people are using. Perhaps Blackberry should make theirs own texting app if they are truly invested in Security.
    They do for enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-17 07:54 AM
    i wont get into how aggrevated i am or the injustice of it all, i just need answers. please dont let this thread turn into more rambling drivel.
    no talk of switching platforms either...that is not a solution.

certain unfriendly corporations (scotiabank, fido..) have taken to blocking blackberry users from accessing their services. this is based purely on the fact that we use a bb phone. as i see it, we need to patch their apps to block/spoof device recognition. if you can successfully do this, can you please post instructions?

Posted via CBX
    So is the app not working at all now? What specifically is happening now?

In theory, yes, you might be able to hack the app to work. Someone would have to analyze how your bank did this.

Everyone is implementing integrity checks which are being forced by regulators. But I've seen weak and strong implementations of this. If you get lucky and your bank has a weak implementation, you might be able to crack it.

This is not easy to do. It will take some investigation. There is also the risk that as the bank patches other security holes, you will probably have to crack each new version.
    09-23-17 10:04 AM

Everyone is implementing integrity checks which are being forced by regulators. But I've seen weak and strong implementations of this. If you get lucky and your bank has a weak implementation, you might be able to crack it.
    Not my idea of lucky.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    09-23-17 11:30 AM
    Not my idea of lucky.
    Of course. The OP is adamant that he should be able to get his bank working on his phone, so if that's the objective then his best hope is that the verification can be shorted.

If security is the objective, then obviously moving to a supported platform is the better answer. But I think in this thread he really wants to talk about how to make it work on BB10.
    09-23-17 11:39 AM
    One simple alternative is to use the mobile version of the web page. Add it to the main screen and it almost looks like an app...
    The_Passporter likes this.
    09-23-17 06:18 PM
    One simple alternative is to use the mobile version of the web page. Add it to the main screen and it almost looks like an app...
    This is a good alternative but does not always work. I have tried several sites that I use that won't allow me to login.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-17 08:18 PM
61 123