You can run an android browser that will allow you to run different user agents.

 Q10 SQN100-5/10.3.3.2049 T-Mobile with Wi-Fi calling
    09-24-17 02:56 AM
    I'm using a browser called lighting.
    Very fast, simple and allows different user agents.

Go to

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

For a browser analysis.

 Q10 SQN100-5/10.3.3.2049 T-Mobile with Wi-Fi calling
    09-24-17 02:59 AM
    Do blocked versions (i.e., the same version number) of these apps still work on real Android devices? So if you install the same APK on BB10 and an actual Android device, will it work on the latter?

The big problem with security on Android is that Google is still in the reactive model; wait until something is found, then fix it.
    They don't seem to have much better luck being proactive either, despite the changes in Nougat high scoring stagefright vulnerabilities are still being found in Oreo.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/bulletins/SB17-261
    09-24-17 12:21 PM

They don't seem to have much better luck being proactive either, despite the changes in Nougat high scoring stagefright vulnerabilities are still being found in Oreo.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/bulletins/SB17-261
    That's because as far as Android goes they are, and have been, reactive. If they actually got proactive about security the same way that they are proactive about new ways to monetize users I might actually change my mind about Android. They do have some very smart security researchers working for them.

And in case you needed an example it didn't take long for one to come my way, in this case via slashdot:

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/24/russ...e-wont-fix-it/

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Last edited by Richard Buckley; 09-24-17 at 08:00 PM.
    09-24-17 03:34 PM
    update: td no longer works. if you havent updated your app, dont.
    i think the new app somehow permanently blocks blackberries from uploading mobile deposits. reverting to the previous working version doesnt help.

Posted via CBX
    09-28-17 08:47 PM
    update: td no longer works. if you havent updated your app, dont.
    i think the new app somehow permanently blocks blackberries from uploading mobile deposits. reverting to the previous working version doesnt help.
    It doesn’t specifically block BB10, it just uses an API that’s not available below Android 4.4.
    09-28-17 10:25 PM
    it is perfectly compatible as it works/worked flawlessly. blackberry10 is anything but suspicious.

Posted via CBX
    nothing to do with blackberry 10 if you are running and android app on the old libraries then it is the old Android libraries that are the problem as in out of date security wise.
    09-29-17 02:05 AM
    One note. Google is not involved in your bank app unless the bank chose too.
    Android is an open source platform and can be used without any Google apps or account.
    09-29-17 02:25 AM
    What type of apps? There's always a workaround - depends how it was coded or if those developers updated their apps due to security or enhancement reasons, nevertheless there's a way, even run in it in a virtual environment
    09-29-17 02:26 AM
    again, the point here is that the apps worked (one is fido mobile account management app) and then they stopped. there was no change to the device software or the app version. in td's case there was an app update that may be responsible, but reverting to the previous version does not resolve the issue the way it did with the itrade app. it seems as though they have chosen to block our platform knowingly. it sounds like nothing can be done except to take our business elsewhere. unless blackberry fixes it.

Posted via CBX
    09-29-17 12:48 PM
    again, the point here is that the apps worked (one is fido mobile account management app) and then they stopped. there was no change to the device software or the app version. in td's case there was an app update that may be responsible, but reverting to the previous version does not resolve the issue the way it did with the itrade app. it seems as though they have chosen to block our platform knowingly. it sounds like nothing can be done except to take our business elsewhere. unless blackberry fixes it.
    It sounds like they upgraded the app and then disabled earlier versions. We all do that when the new version fixes serious security issues, because it forces everyone to upgrade.

I'll bet they made that decision without even remembering BlackBerry or BB10.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    09-29-17 01:14 PM
    in the case of the banking apps, they continue to function except for mobile deposit. it gives a misleading error that the service is temporarily unavailble.

Posted via CBX
    09-29-17 01:17 PM
    in the case of the banking apps, they continue to function except for mobile deposit. it gives a misleading error that the service is temporarily unavailble.
    So then the TD app works for you now? If so, what is the problem?
    09-29-17 01:31 PM
    mobile deposits. i've been relying on them for two years.

Posted via CBX
    09-29-17 01:32 PM
    mobile deposits. i've been relying on them for two years.
    So I don't work at TD, but many other banks around the world are making security and usability improvements to mobile deposit as that feature becomes more popular.

So it sounds like they changed how that works (likely API changes) and they stopped supporting the old way.
    09-29-17 01:38 PM
    in td's case there was an app update that may be responsible, but reverting to the previous version does not resolve the issue the way it did with the itrade app. it seems as though they have chosen to block our platform knowingly.
    Does this feature still work in the same version of the app on a real Android device?
    09-29-17 02:01 PM
    i wouldnt do any online banking using android. thats just scary.

Posted via CBX
    09-29-17 02:02 PM

Posted via CBX
    Been doing that for years without a hitch.
    09-29-17 02:12 PM
    This has been going on for twenty years or more. The regulators make us responsible for client security. In the old days, that meant requiring customers to upgrade their IE or Netscape browsers to latest version to plug security holes. You have no constitutional right to use BlackBerry. Numbers are run to determine if cheaper to support or lose certain type customers. Your provider is politely telling you to upgrade your phone or take your business elsewhere. At this point, like BlackBerry, they don't care if you leave, just hurry up and go so they can put cement block and wall in the door you enter through.
    09-29-17 02:51 PM
    And yet you want to do it in an Android app on a phone which uses an Android runtime that hasn’t seen a security update in almost 3 years. Go figure.
    09-29-17 02:57 PM
    And yet you want to do it in an Android app on a phone which uses an Android runtime that hasn’t seen a security update in almost 3 years. Go figure.
    That's what hit me two years ago so I moved to PRIV from Passport...
    09-29-17 03:01 PM
    "I don't trust it, it's unsafe!" he says from a platform held together with twine and wood glue.
    09-29-17 03:03 PM

Posted via CBX
    But on BB10 you're banking on an old Android app that (I assume) you downloaded from a third party website.

If you want to stick with BB10 but also want secure banking apps, have you thought about buying a cheap iPod Touch? The 6th gen versions upgrade to iOS 11 and Apple will directly sell refurbished 16 GB ones for around $150 USD (new ones aren't much more expensive than that). If you're on the go I believe you should be able to tether it to your BB10 device as well.
    mikael11 likes this.
    09-29-17 03:32 PM
    yes and no. i've been using the most recent version of my banking apps, and have nearly no other android apps on my passport. i make sure nothing else is running while banking. its not like i'm relying on an outdated android phone. the runtime allows me use to the bank's android app as they stopped developping their bb10 app sometime last century..
    the app runs just fine and used to do deposits just fine too.

Posted via CBX
    09-29-17 03:51 PM
    But on BB10 you're banking on an old Android app that (I assume) you downloaded from a third party website.

If you want to stick with BB10 but also want secure banking apps, have you thought about buying a cheap iPod Touch? The 6th gen versions upgrade to iOS 11 and Apple will directly sell refurbished 16 GB ones for around $150 USD (new ones aren't much more expensive than that). If you're on the go I believe you should be able to tether it to your BB10 device as well.
    i've always used their latest version. i had not considered your ipod option...actually i was a little surprised to see an ipod recently i thought they went the way of bbos devices. whats the point of an iphone without a phone? anyway, i would certainly feel more comfortable using an apple device than android, but not entirely cozy.
    also, i spent good money on this passport and it is by no means antiquated. i may be grasping at straws here, but i'd like the bank to pay for it if they are refusing to accomodate our perfectly good bb10 devices.

Posted via CBX
    09-29-17 03:57 PM
61 123