The following instructions are for users who did not have BBM Channels installed on their phones prior to the 10.2 update.

For users who had BBM Channels installed before updating, parts 1 and 2 of my post will pertain to you, but in part 3 the UI and options in Channels is slightly different as mentioned by users throughout this thread. Please refer to post #27 (solution courtesy of AnimalPak200) in this thread to solve your problem if you have BBM Channels installed previously.

For most users, the solution I posted should solve the problem. Some users weren't able to fix it this way, but have posted how they resolved the issue. If the original solution does not work for you, you can also try the following:
    - Post #40 (courtesy of deanclean) - This user got it to work by getting their contacts to change their status
    - Post #44 (courtesy of bobo616) - This user got it to work by unlinking and relinking BBM contacts

Original Post
    A buddy and I both upgraded last night and originally could not get BBM toasts to work. Then after combing through CB, and some good old trial and error, we figured it out.

Here are all the 3 things you should check.
    1. Hub Notifications (This is the setting to turn Toasts on/off system wide)
    - Go to "Settings" menu - then "Notifications" - then scroll down to "Visual" section and toggle "Instant Previews" to ON.
    (The same menu can be accessed by going to Hub, click right 3 dots to access "Settings" - then "Display and Actions" - then scroll down and select "Instant Preview Settings")

Solution to BBM toast issue-img_00000591-edited.png

2. Application Notifications (This is the setting to turn Toasts on/off for a specific application. In this case, BBM)
    - While in the same menu I mentioned in 1, scroll a little further down to the "Applications" section (see the pic above) where you see phone, email, BBM, etc. Click on BBM and ensure that the "Instant Preview" option is also toggled to ON here (I would suggest switching off and then back to on again while you are already here).

Solution to BBM toast issue-img_00000592-edited.png

3. BBM App (This is the setting to turn Toasts on/off for specific contacts)
    - Finally, exit out of the above menu and go to the BBM app (Not the Hub BBM, but the BBM app). For those going to the app for the first time, you will probably see a message from BB regarding previews with a button titled "Manage Contacts". Here is where things will differ depending on how you responded to this message.
    - My buddy closed the message without hitting the "Manage Contacts" button, exited out of the BBM app, and his toasts started working.
    - I had clicked on "Manage Contacts" and selected all the contacts I wanted previews from, exited out of the app, but still nothing.
    - I had to open up the BBM app again - select "Contacts" at the bottom - then long press one of my BBM contacts - and selected "View BBM Profile" (1st option that appears on the right bar). While in the BBM contact screen, there should be 3 tabs at the top with the leftmost tab being "Details". Select this and you should see a "Chat Previews" on/off toggle for that contact (see pic below). I went through each one of my contacts and toggled this switch off and on (Tedious, I know, but I'm assuming this was designed so you can individually choose who to get toasts from instead of everyone). Then exited out of the app and things worked. Once this had been set, long pressing a contact now should give you a new menu option on the right bar which is "Hide Chat Previews" (see pic below) instead of having to do the part I mentioned above.

Solution to BBM toast issue-img_00000594-edited.png

Solution to BBM toast issue-img_00000593-edited.png

To summarize, part 1 turns toasts on/off system wide, part 2 turns toasts on/off for specific applications, and part 3 turns toasts on/off for specific contacts. Therefore:
    - If part 1 is on, but 2 and 3 aren't, toasts will appear for other apps, but not BBM.
    - If part 1 and 2 is on, but 3 isn't for all contacts, only the contacts with toasts set to on will appear.

When it is outlined like this, you can easily see why there are so many areas to adjust. It is to allow everybody to customize them how they want. However, it can be confusing if you don't think of it like this.

I would suggest checking all 3 of these areas to ensure that the toggles are all set to on. Even if they are in the ON position, switch it off and on again just to be sure.

Some combination of the above should hopefully solve the problem. If not, then good luck because that is all I got.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ryeguyyyc; 10-25-13 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added example pics and solutions posted by other users
    10-24-13 07:48 AM
    I hope this works for others.
    I don't seem to have it under my details tab.
    Looking forward to seeing what others say about this.

From my Vader Zed
    10-24-13 08:08 AM
    - I had to open up the BBM app again - select "Contacts" at the bottom - then long press one of my BBM contacts - and selected "View BBM Profile" (1st option that appears on the right bar). While in the BBM contact screen, there should be 3 tabs at the top with the leftmost tab being "Details". Select this and you should see a "Chat Previews" on/off toggle for that contact. I went through each one of my contacts and toggled this switch off and on (Tedious, I know, but I'm assuming this was designed so you can individually choose who to get toasts from instead of everyone). Then exited out of the app and things worked. Once this had been set, long pressing a contact now should give you a new menu option on the right bar which is "Hide Chat Previews" instead of having to do the part I mentioned above.
    This one worked for me yesterday when I tried it after seeing it buried in another thread. Good idea creating this one.
    10-24-13 08:12 AM
    Every time someone mentions Toast Notifications it makes me sad that Cinnamon Toast isn't here yet.

Z10 10.2.0.1791 via CB10
    drjames05 likes this.
    10-24-13 08:17 AM
    I don't have the chat preview setting under details!

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 08:19 AM
    I don't have the chat preview setting either. I am using the beta channel version of Bbm though, if that makes a difference.

I had the toasts working for one new contact but not the others.

I'm wondering whether I need to close a conversation and restart?
    10-24-13 08:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    I don't see the "Chat Preview" option either.
    10-24-13 08:39 AM
    I have toast notifications, although i don't think I can directly answer a bbm message. What i do miss are lockscreen previews. Anybody else missing these?
    10-24-13 08:43 AM
    This worked for me yesterday but very tedious! Not sure why they made it so difficult, the average user is not going to figure this out. With the OS upgrade, there should have been a one-time pop-up of a "New Features" settings screen where the user can turn on/off the new functions.
    10-24-13 09:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Me either...but I am running BBM channels beta so maybe that's why.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-24-13 09:09 AM
    Me either...but I am running BBM channels beta so maybe that's why.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    AH! Me too (the beta channels).... could be the issue.

However, I want to clarify that my toast notifications ARE working, I just meant to say that I do not see the "Chat Preview" option mention by the OP.
    Last edited by iqnetcomdotca; 10-24-13 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Wanted to clarify.
    10-24-13 09:35 AM
    I don't have the chat preview setting either. I am using the beta channel version of Bbm though, if that makes a difference.

I had the toasts working for one new contact but not the others.

I'm wondering whether I need to close a conversation and restart?
    Yes, it makes a difference

BlackBerry since 2006. Z10 Rogers 10.2. Halifax, NS.
    10-24-13 09:50 AM
    Just open bbm, hit contacts, long press on the contact and when the menu bar opens from the right hand side just click the icon that turns toast notifications on for that contact.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 03:44 PM
    IT WORKED,

YOU ARE GOLD MY FRIEND.

I followed your tips all day, but the last one did it. (BBM contacts and then side bar)

Thanks for putting so much time and effort into it.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 03:46 PM
    False alarm, email notification works now but still no BBM, I'll keep trying

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 03:59 PM
    Just open bbm, hit contacts, long press on the contact and when the menu bar opens from the right hand side just click the icon that turns toast notifications on for that contact.

Posted via CB10
    I see no "icon that turns toast notification on for that contact" in the menu that appears at the right when I long press a contact within BBM Contacts. Could this be due to the fact that I have the BBM Channels (beta) installed?
    10-24-13 03:59 PM
    I do believe you are correct. Im pretty sure you have to sideload the regular BBM file to get the option for toast notifications. I did this awhile back. There is a detailed explanation on how to do this and a link to the file in the news section of Crackberry about a month back. You will need to download google chrome and install a plug in...

10-24-13 04:04 PM
    So ummmm does that kind of make me your hero?

IT WORKED,

YOU ARE GOLD MY FRIEND.

I followed your tips all day, but the last one did it. (BBM contacts and then side bar)

Thanks for putting so much time and effort into it.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 04:05 PM
    Nevermind......... lol

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 04:05 PM
    Something I did notice is I had to do it twice for the same contact. Enable it then exit out then go back in and enable it again.... No idea why it did that but that may be your problem... Its not called "toast notifications" its called "chat previews" oh and toast notifications wont work while you are in the hub...

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 04:12 PM
    I do believe you are correct. Im pretty sure you have to sideload the regular BBM file to get the option for toast notifications. I did this awhile back. There is a detailed explanation on how to do this and a link to the file in the news section of Crackberry about a month back. You will need to download google chrome and install a plug in...
    Honestly, as I think I mentioned earlier... I am getting the toast notifs for incoming bbms, I just don't see a couple of the "icons" and options mentioned but, doesn't seem to matter. Probably just some goofy non-critical side effect of having the BBM Channels installed.

Thanks for your help though!
    10-24-13 04:14 PM
    I swear I read yesterday toast notifications dont work with the Beta BBM. Good to hear it is working for you!
    10-24-13 04:16 PM
    I swear I read yesterday toast notifications dont work with the Beta BBM. Good to hear it is working for you!
    For sure I am getting toasts of BBMs sent to me. :-)
    10-24-13 04:23 PM
    I have toast notifications, although i don't think I can directly answer a bbm message. What i do miss are lockscreen previews. Anybody else missing these?
    Touch any notification on the LOCK screen to preview

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 07:00 PM
    My theory is that BBM Channels still doesn't have a UI element for that 'preview' switch (within the BBM contact profile), and that all contacts have it off by default upon the 10.2 upgrade.. or at least you can't toggle them off and back on as per OP. I have noticed that new contacts (or if you delete and re-invite old ones) will have the preview enabled by default and so they work even if you have BBM Channels. One possible solution is to sideload back to BBM, get all your old contacts working by toggling their switch (sounds kinda naughty), then maybe getting channels again. I haven't tried it... but, I think I will.
    10-24-13 07:15 PM
52 123