I'm hoping I can get more work use out of my BlackBerry. I work for a company with a BES server, but I don't think they have stayed up-to-date with the BES software. They seem intent on moving towards Good Enterprise to satisfy all the people who "must" get their email on their iPad and iPhones. I have a personal BlackBerry, but if I let them activate it under the current BES software, their will be no "balance" and everything will be restricted based on the company's policies.

I really hope RIM works to keep my company on board and gets them to update their BES server so I can use Balance. If not, maybe Good will be available for BlackBerry 10. How weird would that be, huh?
    01-07-13 11:52 AM
    I'm hoping I can get more work use out of my BlackBerry. I work for a company with a BES server, but I don't think they have stayed up-to-date with the BES software. They seem intent on moving towards Good Enterprise to satisfy all the people who "must" get their email on their iPad and iPhones. I have a personal BlackBerry, but if I let them activate it under the current BES software, their will be no "balance" and everything will be restricted based on the company's policies.

I really hope RIM works to keep my company on board and gets them to update their BES server so I can use Balance. If not, maybe Good will be available for BlackBerry 10. How weird would that be, huh?
    Good likely will support BB10, though it may be a while.

If you know any IT decision-makers in your company, ask them if they've considered Fusion at all, since it will accomodate iOS and Android as well as BB Balance.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    01-07-13 12:03 PM
    Lol... Wouldn't disagree for a second; but, what should be very often isn't what is.
    Moreover, the fact that people like me exist in a professional category only adds to the argument - and I would like the feature for various other personal reasons (like communications between me and the boys and communications with the lady friend... Lest they ever meet... Ughhhhh... Etc)
    I don't know your professional circumstances, but one option might well be a hosted BES solution. The whole idea of Balance is that it's really a complete, sandboxed environment that can be configured to have no contact whatsoever with your personal stuff.

If you have a professional "identity" and a personal one that you want to maintain on the same phone, it might be worth your while to look at hosted BES for your professional stuff. If compliance is an issue your host can perform all the archiving/securing needed and then you don't have to worry about it anymore. And then, yes, you WOULD be able to have Balance.
    01-07-13 12:07 PM
    Good likely will support BB10, though it may be a while.

If you know any IT decision-makers in your company, ask them if they've considered Fusion at all, since it will accomodate iOS and Android as well as BB Balance.
    I have tried a bit to push Mobile Fusion, but since i am not in the IT department and my exposure with them is very limited, I don't think it got very far. From my perspective it seems like our IT department could care less about RIM. It may be a cost issue too. I think Good is much cheaper. To be honest though, it seems like it is mostly just driven by the fact that some of the higher-ups seem to have i-phones. I know Fusion would work, and it would probably work better in the highly regulated environment I am in (Banking), but I just don't see RIM making a push to keep my company on board.
    01-07-13 12:21 PM
    I have tried a bit to push Mobile Fusion, but since i am not in the IT department and my exposure with them is very limited, I don't think it got very far. From my perspective it seems like our IT department could care less about RIM. It may be a cost issue too. I think Good is much cheaper. To be honest though, it seems like it is mostly just driven by the fact that some of the higher-ups seem to have i-phones. I know Fusion would work, and it would probably work better in the highly regulated environment I am in (Banking), but I just don't see RIM making a push to keep my company on board.
    I don't know that Good is especially cheaper as an MDM platform, and I'm curious what the migration cost could be.

If your employer is wary about RIM, it might not have so much to do with cost as concern that they might not stay in business. We can only hope that sort of perception will change as we move further into 2013. There's a chance that your IT guys might be holding off on pulling the trigger on Good until they get a better sense of what BES10 will do for them.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    01-07-13 12:29 PM
    I hope you are right about the cost. I kind of just assumed that BB would cost more than Good, but maybe that isn't the case. Maybe the new BB10 phones will get some of the "higer-ups" on board. Once they start asking about how Balance works and then they figure out they can't get it, I bet that Server will be updated pretty quickly.
    01-07-13 12:37 PM
    It's not, but it would be great if it could be used in this manner.
    It potentially could but the FULL power of Balance won't be behind it.
    01-07-13 01:23 PM
    I hope you are right about the cost. I kind of just assumed that BB would cost more than Good, but maybe that isn't the case. Maybe the new BB10 phones will get some of the "higer-ups" on board. Once they start asking about how Balance works and then they figure out they can't get it, I bet that Server will be updated pretty quickly.
    ...and remember, BES10 does everything Good does, including support for Android and iOS. RIM's big selling point is going to run along the lines of "you've already got us, so all you have to do is upgrade and you'll get your MDM".

I'll admit, I'm not clear on licensing costs and so on, but I'm guessing that's going to start getting very competitive in the next while.
    01-07-13 01:44 PM
    I don't know your professional circumstances, but one option might well be a hosted BES solution. The whole idea of Balance is that it's really a complete, sandboxed environment that can be configured to have no contact whatsoever with your personal stuff.

If you have a professional "identity" and a personal one that you want to maintain on the same phone, it might be worth your while to look at hosted BES for your professional stuff. If compliance is an issue your host can perform all the archiving/securing needed and then you don't have to worry about it anymore. And then, yes, you WOULD be able to have Balance.
    I am familiar with balance, and know what it is - I am not asking for it, what I said way back was that what a lot of people think balance is - is a cool idea, and that I hope we get that with bb10 .

Lol, believe it or not, I'm 100% on board with what you're saying (for nothing less than its factual-ness and sound judgment - least of all that my work should have me on a BES (which they just got rid off)
    01-07-13 04:24 PM
    I am familiar with balance, and know what it is - I am not asking for it, what I said way back was that what a lot of people think balance is - is a cool idea, and that I hope we get that with bb10 .
    Well, yes, exactly! If people are interested and can find it cool, give it to them! (at least in some rudiment form like double profile with the ability to lock better one of them; many people don't use the available options of security just because it's too inconvinient to lock the whole phone with multiple passwords, so that one needs to enter the password all the time - they would LOVE the idea of locking only one part of the phone with the most sensible data).
    I know, I know...when I said the last time I was answered that I don't know what I'm speaking about and that anyways an average person wouldn't need it...
    The point is still there : BB10 needs all its chances, all the possible clients, if some people want it, if some people find it cool, if it can help to sell more phones, if finally it makes a clear distinctive feature from other phones...why not? (once again, I don't mean the full feature, but sort of double profile).
    01-07-13 04:48 PM
    After all, this discussion is not new (since we've been shown the Balance) and it reminds me a very old Ukrainian joke on the (supposed) greed of Ukrainians :

A foreign Ambassador quits Ukraine when his service in the country comes to an end. In the plane he sees a Ukrainian who takes from his bag a piece of salo (a sort of national speciality) and starts to eat it. The Ambassador realises that he had never tasted it while on service and that he might never have a chance to taste it again, so he sends his assistant to ask the Ukrainian a small piece of it. The Assistant (A) explains the situation and the Ukrainian (U) answers him:
    U: But he wouldn't eat it!
    The Assistant explains again that it was the Ambassador's personal wish, so he surely would do it.
    U: You're wrong, your Ambassador wouldn't eat it.
    The assistant explains again and gets the same answer, before exclaiming:
    A: But why are you so d... sure the Ambassador wouldn't eat it?!
    U: Beacuse I won't give it to him!

The discussion of this Balance feature goes the same way : people who find out its existence get interested, they ask questions and manifest their interest, they find it cool, useful for them, attractive, etc. but the only answer they get is that they wouldn't need it (because it's only to work) and that anyways they won't have it.
    It'll be better to think over how and in what form this feature could be made available to all bb10 users who wish it. Common users are the majority of BB users! It is suicidal not to give them something they'd like to have, if it is easy to do (sort of double profile or users accounts on PC)
    01-08-13 04:08 AM
    It'll be better to think over how and in what form this feature could be made available to all bb10 users who wish it. Common users are the majority of BB users! It is suicidal not to give them something they'd like to have, if it is easy to do (sort of double profile or users accounts on PC)
    You assume it would be easy to do, which is not necessarily the case as it would be an almost entirely new feature even if superficially it was similar in operation to Balance.

The idea that not offering a similar feature to balance for everyone is suicidal on the part of rim is ludicrous hyperbole with little to no bearing on reality.
    01-08-13 04:56 AM
    You assume it would be easy to do, which is not necessarily the case as it would be an almost entirely new feature even if superficially it was similar in operation to Balance.

The idea that not offering a similar feature to balance for everyone is suicidal on the part of rim is ludicrous hyperbole with little to no bearing on reality.
    I assume that if Rim is capable of having conceived a sophisticated powerful tool for a small minority of its clients, then it shouldn't be impossible to conceive a simple version of it for the majority of clients. Besides the new OS is suitable for it......
    01-08-13 05:15 AM
    And actually, yes, even if it takes to build an almost entirely new feature that would look like the Balance, I think that Rim should do it, if users do want it.
    Isn't the market all about giving the client what he wants, offering him what he doesn't have yet and keeping in pace with other competitors?
    01-08-13 05:24 AM
    Adding a third view to balance wouldn't be all that difficult, having it active without being on a BES might be. I kind of like a locked down kid type profile. It's worth a shot to contact RIM and ask for it. If enough people do, we might see changes made.
    magutwit and nquyen like this.
    01-08-13 05:49 AM
    And actually, yes, even if it takes to build an almost entirely new feature that would look like the Balance, I think that Rim should do it, if users do want it.
    Isn't the market all about giving the client what he wants, offering him what he doesn't have yet and keeping in pace with other competitors?
    If they did everything the client wants they would be launching a smaller and larger device that was all-touch, qwerty and a slider.

They have to strike a balance (no pun intended) between what features they deliver at launch and for what parts of their customer base, balance is clearly a killer app for bes users, whereas a kid's profile is more of a nice to have kind of feature for consumers that you would hope they would add eventually, but few would consider vital right now, especially since it would seem a bit like copycatting wp8.
    01-08-13 02:16 PM

Lol, believe it or not, I'm 100% on board with what you're saying (for nothing less than its factual-ness and sound judgment - least of all that my work should have me on a BES (which they just got rid off)
    Soooo, your employer ditched BES? Did they replace it with anything, or are they just letting people add their personal phones via ActiveSync?
    01-08-13 02:19 PM
    It potentially could but the FULL power of Balance won't be behind it.
    Was reading an article on seeking alpha and it looks like some people are already assuming blackberry balance is about two profiles that anyone can set up.
    If that is the case, there will be disappointment come launch day.
    Removable back cover for ease of battery replacement.
    Dual mode capability work and play. Great for times when you "loan" your phone to the kids to play their games.
    RIM's Aggressive Leapfrog App Emulation, Porting Wizardry Jump-Starts Ecosystem - Seeking Alpha
    01-09-13 10:50 AM
    But we have seen only the Business side....the consumer side They are keeping secret.
    01-09-13 11:51 AM
    But we have seen only the Business side....the consumer side They are keeping secret.
    For the most part true. 20 days people, 20 days.
    01-09-13 05:37 PM
    This ArsTechnica journalist seems to believe that blackberry balance is for everyone to separate "work" and "play." I really hope that is the case. Self employed persons (as well as many everyday consumers) would enjoy this feature.
    It'd be great to have the ability to switch in between "work and "play"

While in "Play" profile it would be nice to:
    -automatically send calls from "work" contacts to voicemail. (notification alert; similar to an sms.)
    -emails or texts from "work" contacts don't show up in the Inbox. (maybe a small notification somewhere)

Another feature would be assigning contacts to both profiles. i.e., your wife can call/text/email you whether you are on "work" or "play"
    01-09-13 08:08 PM
    Correct me of I'm wrong but I thought I read or saw on one of the videos that with balance you would be able to manage for example 2 facebook accounts. 1 private and 1 work account. For a self employed person or very small business this would be great. If, however, these functions wouod only be available with bes I do think quite some people will be left a bit disappointed. On the other hand I don't think there are other devices who let you mamage 2 fb, or twitter, accounts simultaniously so therebis nothing to miss either.
    Also like the idea wp8 has with their kid's corner. Anything similar would be welcome on a personal note!
    01-09-13 10:52 PM
    On the other hand I don't think there are other devices who let you mamage 2 fb, or twitter, accounts simultaniously so therebis nothing to miss either.
    Also like the idea wp8 has with their kid's corner. Anything similar would be welcome on a personal note!
    I can manage more than one Twitter account in the official Twitter app right now (I hope it will be available in BB10 as well).

P.S. huh, Rim or the art of disappointment
    Like as I said, everybody who reads a review or whatever, thinks that Balance will be available and people actually want it.
    I understand that Rim wants to show off everything (especially if it is an evident exclusive feauture and novelty and you don't have many of them), but my opinion is that if the feature was never to be offered to users - they shouldn't have shown to users.
    01-09-13 11:03 PM
    What I don't get, though, is why you'd want only PART of the phone locked down, unless it's that you just don't want to have to unlock it all the time.

If there were something like a pattern lock available, would that work for you?
    Well for some of us, locking down a part of our phone when in certain places [or around certain people], is extremely beneficial. Some things just don't need to be seen by everyone. But sometimes, others need to use your handset. This protects your info from folks who my pry, or accidentally press a button to see things they shouldn't. So for me personally, a pattern lock would NOT be enough.
    01-10-13 03:30 AM
    Yeah, there's so many times when someone wants to see my phone and I have to gawk over what they're doing to make sure they're not snooping through my messages and stuff. It's not that they're in particularly private, but somethings I just don't want certain people to know.
    If I could just switch from personal to "work" or a "public" mode, I wouldn't have to worry about it.
    01-10-13 09:53 AM
51 123