If any, not before 2016, with the uppermost optimistic approach.
    2017, maybe.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 06:37 AM
    They've already lost a lot. BB10 has cost billions in losses and not one cent of profit. There is no possible way to make BB10 profitable at this stage. The damage has been done. It's the Oldsmobile diesel of phone OS's. Public perception is dead and buried.
    There are not going to be anymore BB10 phones. All my discussion with BlackBerry personnel have told me the same thing.
    Would be a total disaster if they abandon the OS10.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I'd guess most of you will find interesting perspectives and statements herein :
    APEC: BlackBerry CEO Chen Discusses New Android Phone - Bloomberg Business
    11-17-15 02:51 AM
    Well, I'd guess most of you will find interesting perspectives and statements herein :
    APEC: BlackBerry CEO Chen Discusses New Android Phone - Bloomberg Business
    Maybe I am missing something but I don't hear anything new or different in that clip. What specifically where you alluding to?
    11-17-15 07:01 AM
    Exactly what you noticed. Nothing has changed from previous statements : BB10 will last as the most secured BlackBerry OS for enterprises and organizations, especially those with high security standards like governments and health services.
    11-17-15 11:02 AM
    Exactly what you noticed. Nothing has changed from previous statements : BB10 will last as the most secured BlackBerry OS for enterprises and organizations, especially those with high security standards like governments and health services.
    The thing that really caught my attention was "...major security release April/May next year..."

"Major" security release...
    Sounds like more than just patches, especially when he just bumped the release window out a month or two from the previous target of March.
    The fact that the window is moving suggests the scope of 10.3.3 is big enough to be non-deterministic. Bumping the window this early on a deliverable that is still ~6 months out sounds like good news for BB10 fans. On the other hand they may have headcount problems.

I guess I did hear something new.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-17-15 12:29 PM
    The thing that really caught my attention was "...major security release April/May next year..."

"Major" security release...
    Sounds like more than just patches, especially when he just bumped the release window out a month or two from the previous target of March.
    The fact that the window is moving suggests the scope of 10.3.3 is big enough to be non-deterministic. Bumping the window this early on a deliverable that is still ~6 months out sounds like good news for BB10 fans. On the other hand they may have headcount problems.

I guess I did hear something new.
    They will just keep pushing it off until they see how Android devices sell. They may never release it.
    11-17-15 09:28 PM
    They will just keep pushing it off until they see how Android devices sell. They may never release it.
    They promised 10.3.3 and 10.3.4, I don't think JC will playbook the users unless things get really bad. BTW playbook is now a verb meaning to go back on one's word. Props to the crackBerrian who coined it.
    11-17-15 09:43 PM
    They promised 10.3.3 and 10.3.4, I don't think JC will playbook the users unless things get really bad. BTW playbook is now a verb meaning to go back on one's word. Props to the crackBerrian who coined it.
    And I hope BB10 doesn't get Apothekered either. (which is the word we used to use in the webOS community for killing a great OS and killing stock prices of said company) I love my PP too damn much to again go through the suffering of a great OS being killed (like on my Pre 3).

Posted via CB10
    qwertyhgfdsa likes this.
    11-18-15 12:53 AM
    Agree with OP.
    I also desperately wait for Z30 successor. Pretty much similar platform with current Z30, but with updated specs.
    11-18-15 03:22 AM
    Agree with OP.
    I also desperately wait for Z30 successor. Pretty much similar platform with current Z30, but with updated specs.
    We keep hearing about prohibitive costs associated with software drivers but if the screen and base hardware were kept the same but with updates to processor speed (same instruction set), device flash and ram, maybe those costs could be avoided.

It could be, say, a Z30 bronze edition.

� CB10 via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition �
    maxell likes this.
    11-18-15 09:37 AM
    This would be a lot of work. Custom drivers would have to be written for QNX. This is why the Z30 was a slight mod from the Z10&Q10. The Classic is identical to the Z30 from a driver perspective. The Passport is the odd one out, and unless the Priv HW is the same as the underlying Passport HW, it will be as much work putting BlackBerry OS 10 on the Priv as it would be to put on a Samsung or LG device. Moreover, if the rumors are true that BlackBerry has been shedding OS 10 developer talent, they may not have the engineering capability to do this in a timely manner even if they wanted to.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it. The Passport is an awesome device, BlackBerry OS 10 is hands-down my favourite mobile OS, but I don't see more OS 10 devices being released any time soon.

I'd bet that the Passport is BlackBerry's Avro Arrow. We should all enjoy it while it is relevant. At least it's a great device for BlackBerry OS 10 to go out on.
    Considering that they used some engineering talent to bring us the Priv, I'd say they still got what it takes. Besides, it's not like BB10 is coded in Martian.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 10:21 AM
    We keep hearing about prohibitive costs associated with software drivers but if the screen and base hardware were kept the same but with updates to processor speed (same instruction set), device flash and ram, maybe those costs could be avoided.

It could be, say, a Z30 bronze edition.

� CB10 via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition �
    Doesn't work that way... each processor series is unique...... 808, 810, 820.

Of course there is no reason an updated Classic or Z30 couldn't come along with the Passports hardware, even if it is pretty old at this point.

That still doesn't settle the "taught" that a "new" BB10 device with an intact runtime might would be a problem for the PRIV being Google Certified.

Nor the issue that a new device would extend any BB10 support period that BlackBerry might need to contractually meet.

If you look at the fact they only sold 800K devices with a ASP of $240..... It's clear that whoever is buying BB10 phones, wants them cheap.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-18-15 10:41 AM

Of course there is no reason an updated Classic or Z30 couldn't come along with the Passports hardware, even if it is pretty old at this point.

That still doesn't settle the "taught" that a "new" BB10 device with an intact runtime might would be a problem for the PRIV being Google Certified.

Nor the issue that a new device would extend any BB10 support period that BlackBerry might need to contractually meet.

If you look at the fact they only sold 800K devices with a ASP of $240..... It's clear that whoever is buying BB10 phones, wants them cheap.
    ART on BB10 is not a "violation" as long as they keep Play, GApps, and G Services off of it. ART is a part of AOSP, anyways.

A new device may not extend the life of BB10 but it will surely keep some customers on the platform for a few more years. Considering there is still a good amount of us who bought BB10s in 2013 with contracts that have since expired, and that we are still holding onto these older devices for the time being, I'd imagine BlackBerry could sell a decent amount of phones to us.

I mean, two years from now the move to Android may not be such a hard sell. Otherwise, we may likely go elsewhere all together.

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    11-18-15 12:52 PM

What exactly is old about it? My PP is damn well specced. Why would you need more than 3 GB RAM (which is still quite a lot compared to most other phones) and more than 13MP camera and stuff? This is plenty, even compared to quite a lot of other phones. Sure, the CPU might be a nit dated but come on, even with heavy apps the PP never slows down so there's no need for a newer CPU in that regard. It's only needed if they'd wanna bring BB10 back to the masses that do care about the newest of the newest...

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 01:31 AM
39 12