Glad to know I'm not the only one. I can't count how many times I've been looking through a folder of allegedly "rarely used" apps and found things I had forgotten I even installed - and which I have never, ever used. Vine comes to mind. As does Instagram. Proof of concept, I suppose. I really should just delete that junk.
    I'm the same way.
    09-17-13 10:57 AM
    Wu-Wei /Blacklatino:
    What exactly is in settings anyway? A mutual friend of ours told me sometime ago that restoring settings (and media if desired) was ok-just not appdata! What all is in settings? Someone said contacts but due to how it populates, it would seem that contacts (outlook 2007 not web-based like outlook.com or gmail) are in the BlackBerry Cloud?

Posted via CB10
    With the lack of granularity controls via Link, it has been a lot of trial and error to figure out what data is included in which backup category.

I've read bits and pieces of anecdotal evidence across numerous threads here, but I have not kept notes or any list of how things break down. Media is the most obvious one, but whether a particular dataset is within Apps or Settings seems less logical.

I believe SMS and Contacts are saved in Settings, as well as email and Remember notes/tasks. System-wide settings (wallpaper, icon layout, ringtones) are most likely in there too (that pesky logic again), and I believe those are the root cause of many of the issues people see when it comes to things like Facebook check-ins not working, or the dark theme not persisting in Contacts. I cannot confirm this with hard evidence (again, lack of granularity prevents it), but those seem to be the main types of troubles arising from restores.
    heppyX and go1ndr like this.
    09-17-13 11:30 AM
    With the lack of granularity controls via Link, it has been a lot of trial and error to figure out what data is included in which backup category.

I've read bits and pieces of anecdotal evidence across numerous threads here, but I have not kept notes or any list of how things break down. Media is the most obvious one, but whether a particular dataset is within Apps or Settings seems less logical.

I believe SMS and Contacts are saved in Settings, as well as email and Remember notes/tasks. System-wide settings (wallpaper, icon layout, ringtones) are most likely in there too (that pesky logic again), and I believe those are the root cause of many of the issues people see when it comes to things like Facebook check-ins not working, or the dark theme not persisting in Contacts. I cannot confirm this with hard evidence (again, lack of granularity prevents it), but those seem to be the main types of troubles arising from restores.
    I would like to skip the backup/restore myself. But, until I can find the time (and motivation) to copy all my important bookmarks (stored in Settings) and my 700+ entries in PW Keeper (stored in App Data), I'm stuck with restoring. Everything else is "cloud". At least it's been a lot less of a hassle backing up/restoring since Sachesi came along, rather than using Link.
    09-17-13 11:49 AM
    I would like to skip the backup/restore myself. But, until I can find the time (and motivation) to copy all my important bookmarks (stored in Settings) and my 700+ entries in PW Keeper (stored in App Data), I'm stuck with restoring. Everything else is "cloud". At least it's been a lot less of a hassle backing up/restoring since Sachesi came along, rather than using Link.
    I recommended to someone else to try the Share to Remember solution for bookmarks, and make sure to save to a cloud based service, if the goal is to avoid backup/restore.

Sure would be nice if we could get import/export capabilities in the native Password Keeper app too.

BerryLeaks co-founder | myver
    09-17-13 11:58 AM

What makes me think that contacts (at least with Outlook 2007--not with the other sources like FB/GMAIL/LinkedIn, etc) are stored in the Blackberry cloud (hence the BBID being needed) is that when you install a new official or leaked OS, the contacts usually take a while to populate. Population usually occurs when transfers from a cloud service coupled with the new OS syncing take place. I can't prove that and have never seen it written anywhere but it's just my thought.

Since I don't use Gmail or other web-based emails (with one exception--outlook.com due to another business issue) and don't have their contacts or calendar set up, my main concern is transferring the outlook calendar and contacts. Now I will say this--even though I personally have always restored ONLY the settings, for those using Outlook 2007/2010/2013, it really doesn't matter as the safest and easiest way to make sure you get your most current calendar entries and contacts on your device, is to do a complete contact and calendar 2-way sync with your Outlook 2007/10/13 (PC) and your device after a clean install. Make sure and turn off all other calendar/contact sources to avoid duplicates and configure to always protect (keep) data on your PC (PC wins conflicts) and sync away. I have never had an issue using this proceedure. Still-I'd love to know for sure what is in settings--as if its basically nothing that can't be instantly replaced, I'd never restore! Thanks for your feed back Wu-Wei! Appreciated as always buddy!
    Last edited by go1ndr; 09-17-13 at 02:20 PM.
    09-17-13 12:30 PM
    I recommended to someone else to try the Share to Remember solution for bookmarks, and make sure to save to a cloud based service, if the goal is to avoid backup/restore.

Sure would be nice if we could get import/export capabilities in the native Password Keeper app too.

BerryLeaks co-founder | myver
    Or, return BB Protect to it's former BBOS glory!
    toobs623 likes this.
    09-17-13 01:52 PM
    What data do you save on your SD card? I only restore settings and have never had an issue. I was told by the powers that be when I first moved to BlackBerry 10 NOT to restore AppData and had no reason to restore media as it was on my SD card anyway, but I've always restored settings. I agree with you that once you get used to setting the device back up, it's a walk in the park. I'm not really sure what's in settings but would like to know.

Posted via CB10
    Music/ringtones, documents, images and SMS (via SMS backup). Contacts sync with outlook.com. There's nothing else I need really.
    09-17-13 03:28 PM
    Music/ringtones, documents, images and SMS (via SMS backup). Contacts sync with outlook.com. There's nothing else I need really.
    Got it, I thought it was you but was probably someone else that said that they were saving contacts on your SD card. I save everything I can on the SD card to save space and to keep it safe. But not contacts, though there could be a case for SIM contacts. So I'm the same as you but my contacts are on Outlook 2007, so I just sync nightly with Link/PC/Outlook to my Q10 and all is well. My guess is that Link stores the contacts due to the population when you install a new OS and restore settings (only thing I restore), but don't know for sure. I think there may be coding in settings to populate from the BB Cloud once the you are signed in. Can't think of anyway else to do it as setting isn't that big a file. I have over 1000 straight Outlook clients (mostly business) so I know it can't be in settings. Weird little puzzle I'd like to have the answer too. LOL
    09-17-13 05:57 PM
    What makes me think that contacts (at least with Outlook 2007--not with the other sources like FB/GMAIL/LinkedIn, etc) are stored in the Blackberry cloud (hence the BBID being needed) is that when you install a new official or leaked OS, the contacts usually take a while to populate. Population usually occurs when transfers from a cloud service coupled with the new OS syncing take place. I can't prove that and have never seen it written anywhere but it's just my thought.
    I believe that it is simply the OS indexing everything.
    09-17-13 06:29 PM
    Last several leaks I have restored app and settings and had zero issues.

Posted via CB10 on STL100-4 v10.2.0.1443
    09-17-13 06:32 PM
    I believe that it is simply the OS indexing everything.
    Hey Toobs--so where are the contacts stored (outlook 2007/10 contacts) since they often appear right after an install? Well--wait--guess I'm used to restoring the settings so maybe they are in the settings? Have you ever used Sachesi to back up and restore rather than Link--and to your knowledge, are the same issues with "restore" using Sachesi as with Link? Just curious. I posted on his thread and asked as well but thought coming from you would be more appropriate. Thanks!
    09-17-13 06:33 PM
    Are they stable and does it have bugs?

Posted via CB10
    IMHO, no OS with 100% bugs free.
    my Z10 having experience with many leaks since the very first time, and it still ROCKS..
    so no worries..
    go1ndr likes this.
    09-17-13 06:52 PM

I can confirm apps, app data, and icon layout are part of the app data restore. Wallpaper has never restored for me so I have no idea where that goes. Remember data I believe is part of settings, but since all my Remember data comes from email tasks lists and Evernote, I can't confirm. Ringtones, SMS, and Contacts fall into Settings, but email is also never restored on mine, I have always had to re-enter my accounts passwords just like starting fresh, except that the accounts were already listed (prior to when I started deleting them before backing up).

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 07:09 PM
    I can confirm apps, app data, and icon layout are part of the app data restore. Wallpaper has never restored for me so I have no idea where that goes. Remember data I believe is part of settings, but since all my Remember data comes from email tasks lists and Evernote, I can't confirm. Ringtones, SMS, and Contacts fall into Settings, but email is also never restored on mine, I have always had to re-enter my accounts passwords just like starting fresh, except that the accounts were already listed (prior to when I started deleting them before backing up).

Posted via CB10
    Odd as I never restore app data and my icons are always right back where they started (at least core ones). I only restore settings. Weird. I'd love to see something from BB stating what is in which file.
    09-17-13 07:14 PM
    Hey Toobs--so where are the contacts stored (outlook 2007/10 contacts) since they often appear right after an install? Well--wait--guess I'm used to restoring the settings so maybe they are in the settings? Have you ever used Sachesi to back up and restore rather than Link--and to your knowledge, are the same issues with "restore" using Sachesi as with Link? Just curious. I posted on his thread and asked as well but thought coming from you would be more appropriate. Thanks!
    Contacts is definitely part of settings. I have used sachesi for backup and restore before. I would rather let xsacha answer but I believe that on that if the issue is due to some kind of corruption in the backup there's not much it can do, but sachesi doesn't pay attention to stuff like version numbers. Bottom line is hopefully he answers because I'm not well versed enough to give you a straight answer.

As for the contacts conundrum I would love to able to export them to an sd card, android style. I have a BlackBerry backup folder on my computer that I backup to over RFA. RFA should control everything on this thing.

Or just give me my old protect back.
    09-18-13 12:51 AM
40 12