11-11-15 11:25 AM
31 12
tools
    I'm just offering a different spin on things. It serves no one for BlackBerry to publish an open letter to developers if BlackBerry had zero plan for the platform and the document is obviously addressing development for enterprise customers but I imagine some of that will be of interest to consumers as well.

I'm not reaching for straws. BlackBerry already had an out and they could have just quietly left. Instead, boom, "An Update for BlackBerry 10 Developers" hits the blog roughly two weeks before the launch of the Priv.

From An update for BlackBerry 10 Developers | BlackBerry Developer Blog

"The end-to-end BlackBerry environment offers the highest level of security for our enterprise customers and our commitment to BlackBerry 10 remains strong. We’ll continue to invest in and evolve the platform. As we move forward, we want to provide more details on our app platform for our developer community."

Instagram and an updated Facebook are likely to never come, obviously. But still, why the above if BB10 is dead? BB10 is continuing on in a manner that makes sense to enterprise, not consumers, including app development. It follows that at least one more BB10 handset is released in 2016, too.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has stock to sell. No one is going to buy any more BB10 devices if BlackBerry says that BB10 is EOL and we are not going to develop it any farther. There are also enterprise and government contracts that they have to save face and support. So BlackBerry is making statements about support BB10 (they are), but we are not going to develop the platform anymore (they stopped about 9-12 months ago).

But there are no more BB10 devices going to be made. There is no sense in developing new hardware when the OS isn't being developed anymore.

I am/was a BB10 developer tied into BlackBerry. BB10 isn't going to be developed anymore and just the occasional fix for enterprise/government.

Chen also said that they wouldn't release an Android phone unless it was secure.
    11-09-15 09:59 PM
    Please give me an example of a company released hardware depending on an OS and stopped developing the OS as a way to the future.
    HP released the Pre 3 after announcing webOS would be killed off and Nokia released the N9 in select markets after announcing MeeGo would be killed off.

Edit: see the two posts below this one about the Pre 3. But the N9 argument still stands.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Vistaus; 11-11-15 at 12:54 AM.
    11-10-15 12:47 AM
    HP released the Pre 3 after announcing webOS would be killed off and Nokia released the N9 in select markets after announcing MeeGo would be killed off.

Posted via CB10
    Actually they released the Pre 3 the day before and that only happened that way because the WebOS business unit found out that HP was pulling the plug when the news leaked before the earnings call the next day... the WebOS business unit still thought that it was business as usual.
    11-10-15 08:58 AM
    Actually they released the Pre 3 the day before and that only happened that way because the WebOS business unit found out that HP was pulling the plug when the news leaked before the earnings call the next day... the WebOS business unit still thought that it was business as usual.
    You're right. I stand corrected. I should've remembered that as an ex-Pre 3 user from day 1 that it launched (and before that a webOS fan in general) and occasionally still a Touchpad user.

But you can't say I'm wrong about the N9 though: that device really did launch after Nokia had announced that MeeGo would be killed off.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-11-15 12:53 AM

But you can't say I'm wrong about the N9 though: that device really did launch after Nokia had announced that MeeGo would be killed off.

Posted via CB10
    Product was already manufactured by the time MeeGo got canned.

With BB10, there has been no real development since the Passport and Classic releases a year ago. 10.3.2 was only released to be compliant with California anti-theft legislation.

I was running 10.3.X in April of 2014 (a year and a half ago). We've essentially only seen bug fixes since then.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    11-11-15 06:37 AM
    I think most rational people here know that the MOST LIKELY scenario is:

- BB10 maintained with bug fixes and security patches for some time until no key customers are left using it (2-3 years?)

- 10.3.3 to include a few improvements that were already scoped

- no ART updates on BB10

- no new BB10 phones unless the market demands them (The Leap, Passport and Classic are all relatively new and can meet the needs of key enterprise customers. )

- If new BB10 phones are made (because of sufficient demand), they would, at best, include the current ART and might have no Android run time support.

All that said, no one here can claim to actually KNOW what the future holds or the terms that BlackBerry and Google agreed to with regard to BB10. There are other possibilities, even if they are less likely.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 11:25 AM
31 12