Our BlackBerry 10 devices still have the runtime. So what happened to all the "oh we have to forgo the runtime bla bla if BlackBerry is to sell android devices?"

Will this change in 10.3.3?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 05:58 PM
    Doubtful.

It's assumed that OHA compliance only applies to concurrent devices. I assume BB10 is safe, but that while BBRY dabbles in official Android, no new runtime-laden device will be launched.

That's how it worked for others.
    LazyEvul, cgk and JeepBB like this.
    11-08-15 06:03 PM
    Our BlackBerry 10 devices still have the runtime. So what happened to all the "oh we have to forgo the runtime bla bla if BlackBerry is to sell android devices?"

Posted via CB10
    No. What people said is that BlackBerry cannot sell both a new BB10 phone with ART and an Android phone. BlackBerry isn't manufacturing BB10 phones anymore and they won't be releasing any new ones. All the ones that they have are old stock and legacy products. This is why you won't see a new BB10 phone anytime in the future.
    11-08-15 06:34 PM
    Who says they can't do both. And who knows what is planned.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 10:43 PM
    Who says they can't do both. And who knows what is planned.

Posted via CB10
    Nah, doubtful. I know we like to think Google will make concessions for BlackBerry, but the current actions fit with what folks have gleaned about OHA.
    11-08-15 10:50 PM
    Where are the Android Police when you need them?
    11-09-15 12:32 AM
    But who says Google cares about the Priv? After all, it's only an experiment. If the Priv fails, well, you know...

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 01:00 AM
    No. What people said is that BlackBerry cannot sell both a new BB10 phone with ART and an Android phone. BlackBerry isn't manufacturing BB10 phones anymore and they won't be releasing any new ones. All the ones that they have are old stock and legacy products. This is why you won't see a new BB10 phone anytime in the future.
    Yeah, just like when you and other said that the Passport would've been the last BB10 device. And there were the Leap and Passport SE. That, and a few other comments you have made, is why I'm not believing you. (not to mention the fact that BlackBerry hasn't even announced the end of the BB10 phones era themselves)

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 01:08 AM
    Yeah, just like when you and other said that the Passport would've been the last BB10 device. And there were the Leap and Passport SE. That, and a few other comments you have made, is why I'm not believing you. (not to mention the fact that BlackBerry hasn't even announced the end of the BB10 phones era themselves)

Posted via CB10
    Go back and find where I said that the Passport was going to be the last BB10 device. You won't find it. I will now say that there will be no new BB10 devices and no 10.4. There is so much evidence of that. So you can mark this for the future to come back at me. But I never said the Passport was going to be the last BB10 device.
    11-09-15 07:04 AM
    If you we see a new BB10 device and it has the runtime - you will have defeated the android police and will be able to say "all of your bases belong to us".
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    11-09-15 07:24 AM
    Go back and find where I said that the Passport was going to be the last BB10 device. You won't find it. I will now say that there will be no new BB10 devices and no 10.4. There is so much evidence of that. So you can mark this for the future to come back at me. But I never said the Passport was going to be the last BB10 device.
    But can you send a link where BlackBerry announced no new bb10 devices and no 10.4 pls. I don't recall any kind of announcement from BlackBerry stating that. Until BlackBerry's "Horse" says so, I'll take your statement with a grain of salt.

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    11-09-15 09:10 AM
    The OHA is clearly monopolistic and anti competitive. The feds need to look at Google and their practices. While they are at it, they can also look at apple and they forcing carriers onto their ridiculous iphone purchase requirements.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 10:04 AM
    Seems like we got time till March 2016 if android runtime breaches the OHA

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 10:50 AM
    But can you send a link where BlackBerry announced no new bb10 devices and no 10.4 pls. I don't recall any kind of announcement from BlackBerry stating that. Until BlackBerry's "Horse" says so, I'll take your statement with a grain of salt.
    Do you think they are actually going to say BB10 OS and compatible phones are at a dead end while there is still product to move? Sometimes you need to read between the lines.
    An update for BlackBerry� 10 Developers | BlackBerry Developer Blog
    BlackBerry 10.3.3< NOTE*** it doesn't say 'and beyond'

We will keep developing and enhancing the BlackBerry 10 operating system. In fact, we are confirming plans to release platform updates focused on security and privacy enhancements, with version 10.3.3 scheduled to be available in early 2016.
    Native � Our current development environment is robust and, as such, there are no plans to schedule releases of new SDKs and APIs. New APIs will be released as required.
    Cascades � We currently support Qt 4.8 on BlackBerry 10. There are no plans to move to Qt 5.x.
    Web � WebWorks applications are supported through the latest updates to Apache Cordova. Cordova is an open source project under the Apache Foundation, with significant community support. WebWorks 2.0 is based on an older version of Cordova, but you can update your applications to the newest Cordova and BlackBerry platform with minimal impact, using just two commands. Your existing applications will continue to work on future BlackBerry 10 releases. Any further updates to our web platform/plugins will go into Apache�s Cordova project.
    Android Runtime for BlackBerry 10 � BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the 'current' release of the Android Runtime (ART) and packaging tools to create a .bar file to submit to BlackBerry World. There are no plans to remove the Android Runtime from BlackBerry 10.
    = dead end road.
    11-09-15 10:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry already announced that the Android Runtime was not going to be developed any further.

From BlackBerry Dev Blog (under the 10.3.3 heading):

"BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the CURRENT release of the Android Runtime (ART) and packaging tools to create a .bar file to submit to BlackBerry World."

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    11-09-15 10:56 AM
    Yet Chen said he was committed to the handset business. So if a new BlackBerry 10 phone came out, so long ART?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 11:30 AM
    Yet Chen said he was committed to the handset business. So if a new BlackBerry 10 phone came out, so long ART?
    Yep, I assume that is how it would turn out.
    11-09-15 11:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Mute point. No new BB10 phones.
    11-09-15 11:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    Gee. All you have to do is look at the developers blog posting to know that BlackBerry will not be releasing any new BB10 phones. The OS is stopped and will get security patches only. The ART won't be updated, the BB10 tools will not be updated. The SDKs and APIs will not be updated. Nothing will change and you think that they will release new hardware for an old that isn't being updated? Please give me an example of a company released hardware depending on an OS and stopped developing the OS as a way to the future.
    11-09-15 12:00 PM
    The question over whether BB is now an OHA member or not is still up in the air. I have been searching this topic for over a month and have not found any news of the sort.

Google is relaxing compliance in the Indian market and have been working to make things easier in China. Google has also struggled with its own Nexus line and cannot compete with the App Store. Also, since Andy Rubin stepped down Google has relaxed a bit on enforcing compliance rules. And now Google wants to get the Play Store onto as many devices as possible (smartphones, TVs, tablets, desktops, basically onto any device that can download and use apps.

Everyone just assumes the OHA and compliance simply because that is how it was done in the past and you know, once something becomes a social meme it tends to stick no matter what new evidence to the contrary may appear.

BlackBerry surely has some compliance agreements with Google but what those may or may not entail are only known between BlackBerry and Google; the deal struck between the two is most likely to be a singular agreement and not one involving OHA membership.

As for the runtime, it is possible that once BlackBerry updates to Marshmallow than the green light to include ART 5.0, or maybe even 5.1 is a go. Essentially, as long as ART on BB10 remains behind it might be cool. Or not. I am not writing any of this as fact, just pointing out a possibility.
    11-09-15 02:54 PM
    The question over whether BB is now an OHA member or not is still up in the air. I have been searching this topic for over a month and have not found any news of the sort.

Google is relaxing compliance in the Indian market and have been working to make things easier in China. Google has also struggled with its own Nexus line and cannot compete with the App Store. Also, since Andy Rubin stepped down Google has relaxed a bit on enforcing compliance rules. And now Google wants to get the Play Store onto as many devices as possible (smartphones, TVs, tablets, desktops, basically onto any device that can download and use apps.

Everyone just assumes the OHA and compliance simply because that is how it was done in the past and you know, once something becomes a social meme it tends to stick no matter what new evidence to the contrary may appear.

BlackBerry surely has some compliance agreements with Google but what those may or may not entail are only known between BlackBerry and Google; the deal struck between the two is most likely to be a singular agreement and not one involving OHA membership.

As for the runtime, it is possible that once BlackBerry updates to Marshmallow than the green light to include ART 5.0, or maybe even 5.1 is a go. Essentially, as long as ART on BB10 remains behind it might be cool. Or not. I am not writing any of this as fact, just pointing out a possibility.
    It's very simple really, and most things seem to fit.

- No concurrent fork of Android (aka runtime).
    - Android boot screen.

The first is telling. There really isn't anyway to sugarcoat. BlackBerry has all but suspended new BB10 products. Interesting, since I personally was not sure the runtime counted as a fork.

My contacts indicate BlackBerry is now OHA compliant. Bla1ze would probably have better info.
    11-09-15 03:12 PM
    BlackBerry already announced that the Android Runtime was not going to be developed any further.

From BlackBerry Dev Blog (under the 10.3.3 heading):

"BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the CURRENT release of the Android Runtime (ART) and packaging tools to create a .bar file to submit to BlackBerry World."

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    The word 'current' here is odd. For most it seems to mean the current, as in the ART version they already have deployed and that this version will remain the only version.

Another way to think about the phrasing is that it means that BB10 will offer new versions of ART and packing tools, and thus, will only support these latest releases. I say that because the page is static, so if a developer were to read the page, say, in April of 2016, and BB10 had updated to ART version 5.1, it would remain relevant without need to publish a new page.

Is there really a need to publish a new SDK now? Doesn't mean the death of BB10, only that the development language is now set, at least for the time being. They did say they will provide updated .api's as needed and the .api's contain the protocols for building the app[s], anyways. To add, RIM/BlackBerry has been making use of WebWorks as a sort of native "non-native" development environment since BBOS4 or so. Nothing new there. With the latest WebWorks comes HTML5, CSS, and Javascript, anyways, so nothing really for BB to update there, either.

Real question remains why would they put out this call if BB10 is EOL?
    11-09-15 03:47 PM
    The word 'current' here is odd. For most it seems to mean the current, as in the ART version they already have deployed and that this version will remain the only version.

Another way to think about the phrasing is that it means that BB10 will offer new versions of ART and packing tools, and thus, will only support these latest releases. I say that because the page is static, so if a developer were to read the page, say, in April of 2016, and BB10 had updated to ART version 5.1, it would remain relevant without need to publish a new page.

Is there really a need to publish a new SDK now? Doesn't mean the death of BB10, only that the development language is now set, at least for the time being. They did say they will provide updated .api's as needed and the .api's contain the protocols for building the app[s], anyways. To add, RIM/BlackBerry has been making use of WebWorks as a sort of native "non-native" development environment since BBOS4 or so. Nothing new there. With the latest WebWorks comes HTML5, CSS, and Javascript, anyways, so nothing really for BB to update there, either.

Real question remains why would they put out this call if BB10 is EOL?
    It isn't odd at all. The current version means that what is there at the time of the posting is current and that is it folks. You really are reaching for straws.
    11-09-15 05:43 PM
    The ... The feds need to look at Google and their practices...

Posted via CB10
    They did, back when the DoD helped to fund its startup.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-09-15 07:29 PM
    It isn't odd at all. The current version means that what is there at the time of the posting is current and that is it folks. You really are reaching for straws.
    I'm just offering a different spin on things. It serves no one for BlackBerry to publish an open letter to developers if BlackBerry had zero plan for the platform and the document is obviously addressing development for enterprise customers but I imagine some of that will be of interest to consumers as well.

I'm not reaching for straws. BlackBerry already had an out and they could have just quietly left. Instead, boom, "An Update for BlackBerry 10 Developers" hits the blog roughly two weeks before the launch of the Priv.

From http://devblog.blackberry.com/2015/1...inkId=18266221

"The end-to-end BlackBerry environment offers the highest level of security for our enterprise customers and our commitment to BlackBerry 10 remains strong. We’ll continue to invest in and evolve the platform. As we move forward, we want to provide more details on our app platform for our developer community."

Instagram and an updated Facebook are likely to never come, obviously. But still, why the above if BB10 is dead? BB10 is continuing on in a manner that makes sense to enterprise, not consumers, including app development. It follows that at least one more BB10 handset is released in 2016, too.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 08:11 PM
31 12