In the PlayBook email app, you can still view emails while composing a new one, which is VERY useful when you have to reference many emails while composing one. You can even compose multiple email at the same time if you so wish. I remember RIM (that's what it was called then) made a big fuss about this feature when they released it and I totally agree with them. Now, this is all gone in BB10
    02-09-13 09:36 AM
    There is a lot of stuff missing... Just remember, Apple released version 1.0 of the iphone without copy/paste, and the ability to send MMS messages, and the ability for the camera to record video, and many other basic functions of a regular phone, let alone a smart phone.. be patient, they will continue to build this OS from the user feedback they receive
    Lendo, MaxR_A and Lumute like this.
    02-09-13 10:02 AM
    There is a lot of stuff missing... Just remember, Apple released version 1.0 of the iphone without copy/paste, and the ability to send MMS messages, and the ability for the camera to record video, and many other basic functions of a regular phone, let alone a smart phone.. be patient, they will continue to build this OS from the user feedback they receive
    Agreed.
    02-09-13 10:03 AM
    Really? You're still leaning on that "crutch"? Give me a break, brother! Need I remind you, the iPhone was the FIRST of its kind? How many years ago was that?

Now I'm the furthest from an Apple Fan Boy as it gets. I HATE iTunes! But really? You're still making excuses for BBRY and their lack of attention to incredibly important details like all of the missing bridge apps, etc.?

I'm sorry ( no I'm not), but in today's world of Smartphones, there's JUST NO EXCUSE for ANY loss of functionality when we are supposed to be UPGRADING......

(end rant)

Hoot
    02-09-13 10:11 AM
    Wow. Another thread griping about some obscure feature that no one else uses or misses. Focus groups do have a place in software development. That's reality. I've been using the BB10 email app since Tuesday and aside from a few niggles like placement of the attachment icon (hides behind the keyboard most of the time) I have no complaints at all. This OS is amazing and will only get better. I personally really appreciate how BlackBerry has plowed through the see of endless menu options to pare things down to what people really need and provide a simple, elegant and very powerful OS that is light years ahead of OS7 and will take BlackBerry back to the top of the heap where it once was and belongs.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 10:19 AM
    Spare me the obscure feature that no one else uses crap. Who are you to say a feature is obscure? Because you don't use it? Well, I DO and to me, it's not and I'm disappointed that it's now missing in BB10. Don't like the thread, don't read it. Simple enough.
    kazmi likes this.
    02-09-13 10:51 AM
    Sometimes I am worried that spending too much time on this forum will skew my perception of how successful bb is. Tbh, Ive never changed my phone since my Bold 3 years ago so Im constantly impressed w my z10 but sometimes I worry that is because Im way behind in knowing what leading technologies are capable of.

But, i agree,no more comparisons to iPhone 1's mistakes please. We need to do better than that. It serves as motivation to compare to better players not those worse than you.
    It is good to point out the issues and, there is nothing wrong with users complaining bout issues - we did pay for it. As long as the issues are legit and constructive I dont see why they should be flamed. It is a way to bring it to the developer's or whoever's attention!
    Also, in reference to "obscure" points, I really disagree. I stood by my phone because of all these tiny little features that other phones do not have. Even as a bb fan, the z10 cannot outwardly distinguish itself from iPhones and androids the way windows phone can. So to me, it is these little features that set them apart.

As a general rule in life, self criticism and evaluation are good things and can lead to self improvement. Competition is heating up now and it is crucial that bb do even more than their current best. To not merely be as good as the rest but better.
    jdhooghe and kbz1960 like this.
    02-09-13 10:56 AM
    Stop being a BlackBerry apologist. This is not 2007 any more; the playing field has a higher threshold for entry.
    kazmi likes this.
    02-09-13 11:04 AM
    Really? You're still leaning on that "crutch"? Give me a break, brother! Need I remind you, the iPhone was the FIRST of its kind? How many years ago was that?

Now I'm the furthest from an Apple Fan Boy as it gets. I HATE iTunes! But really? You're still making excuses for BBRY and their lack of attention to incredibly important details like all of the missing bridge apps, etc.?

I'm sorry ( no I'm not), but in today's world of Smartphones, there's JUST NO EXCUSE for ANY loss of functionality when we are supposed to be UPGRADING......

(end rant)

Hoot
    The Blackberry Z10 is also the first of its kind... it isn't running an updated version of BBOS nor is it running a phone version of the PB OS it is running BB10 which at its very core is only slightly similar to the PBOS, Your argument of but BBRY has made OSs before and Apple didn't for mobile contradicts itself when you mention that iOS was the first go of it, as BB10s recent release was also the first go of it.

I am not making excuses for anybody but you are really starting to get on my nerves with your pathetic whining and hating, we would all love BB10 to have come with all that stuff and it is a shame that it isn't there but no one is making excuses for BBRY they are offering reasons why, call it an oversight or a mistake or whatever you want but don't keep bashing them for it, it is the firs generation of this OS and there will be updates, plenty of first generation releases especially in the phone market have had things missing.

Also what you consider important others consider secondary or completely irrelevant.

Also to further clarify why is BB10 being compared to the latest iOS and Android... sure it is meant to compete with them but the shortcomings it has in my opinion aren't exactly reasons to not get BB10 on its basic level it seems to compete well with the other OSs but I guess that is subjective... either way personally unless there is a major problem with its competitiveness to other OSs (which there could be but from what I see people talking about it seems these are personal/Quality of Life things but maybe someone will enlighten me) it should be compared to first generational releases of other OSs or maybe that is just me being too fair in some of your minds fair enough.

You wouldn't compare your 2 year olds dialect with that of your 5 year old but you may compare your 2 year olds dialect to that of your 5 year olds when he was also 2.

Anyway just my 2 cents if you will ... now to pretend people accepted it and we had a nice constructive discussion of different reasons and beliefs :P
    Last edited by Nefiasm; 02-09-13 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Just in case people argue with me I won't bother coming back, not in the mood today :P, So flame me if you want :P
    Vorkosigan, mooda and sf49ers like this.
    02-09-13 11:17 AM
    I think it would be a good idea for just one thread to be created where missing features and nice to have features for the BB Z10 can be added, so that instead of multiple threads, we can just have one point of reference. That way it would be a lot easier to compile a list that we can bring to the attention to Blackberry.
    02-09-13 11:22 AM
    they had 2 years to do that,,, it's something they just shoulda known,,, what's the concept??? put out an os without the core BB features then (re)build on feedback???
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 02-09-13 at 11:58 AM.
    02-09-13 11:27 AM
    This is a sorry excuse.

Why are you comparing a device in 2013 with a device in 2007? When people buy a smartphone today, they're comparing what's available TODAY - not what was available 5 years go.

All these missing features on the Z10 are a big concern. Some of those features were available in older model Blackberries, yet are missing now. Some of the features that are missing are from something that Blackberries are supposed to be the best at - ie. e-mail. And BB10 was delayed a couple times and was finally released 5.5 years after the original iPhone - and after all this time they still need more time to add basic features and fix glaring bugs?

I don't think RIM has changed nearly as much as they needed to for this turnaround to occur. It may be run better today than it was 2 years ago, but it's still plagued with old problems that will hurt it's future.

Missing apps are one thing - I'll excuse that. But BB10 needs to have all the features necessary to make it the best business phone out there - which means e-mail has to have all the features (and more) the other phones have with very few bugs. They MUST get this stuff added/fixed in time for the US release - anything less is inexcusable.

You can bash the other phones and call them "toys" and claim BB10 is the best business phone - but you better be able to back it up.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    02-09-13 12:01 PM
    they had 2 years to do that,,, i'm somethings they just shoulda known,,, what's the concept??? put out an os without the core BB features then (re)build on feedback???
    Yes, that's exactly how it works. Many of the things that you might consider to be "core features" might in fact be things that 90% of other users never touch.

It took 6-7 years to build BBOS into what it was. It is unrealistic to believe that in 2-3 years, you can rebuild every single feature into the new platform, while you're building the platform, and supporting the old platform at the same time. So based on focus groups, and beta feedback product managers decide what things to include in the first release, and what things to add later. After the product is released and more user feedback comes in, you decide what needs to be prioritized next.
    02-09-13 12:02 PM
    NE
    I think it would be a good idea for just one thread to be created where missing features and nice to have features for the BB Z10 can be added, so that instead of multiple threads, we can just have one point of reference. That way it would be a lot easier to compile a list that we can bring to the attention to Blackberry.
    We already Have one thread that does this But people DON'T use the search button to find that thread thus making up new ones.
    02-09-13 12:06 PM
    And as much as I loved OS7 and all the many features I also was constantly annoyed at the slew of features that got in the way of the simple daily tasks. For example. How did you mark an email as unread on OS7. I would hit the BlackBerry key and hit the M key to shortcut to mark unread. But what was the first M that you hit in the menu with about 30 options?? I believe it was "Message Notification Options" or some setting that you only need access to once in a blue moon. You had to hit the M key a second time to hit "Mark Unread". Or how about snap a picture on OS7. What is the first thing you might want to do with that picture if you are in the 99% of smartphone users?? How about send it to someone? Once again you had to wade through a slew of obscure options to hit the "Send". If you used the S shortcut the first menu option you hit was "Switch Application".

The moral of the story is, while OS7 was great in many ways, we also got used to its many flaws. OS10 is not perfect by any means, but you have to admit that it is a massive leap in the right direction and whining about your favorite omission is not doing yourself or BlackBerry any favors.

And the earlier poster was right, spending too much time on these forums can make one lose sight of what awesome things BlackBerry has done and is doing.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 12:29 PM
    The joys of being an early adopter ;-)
    02-09-13 12:36 PM
    In the PlayBook email app, you can still view emails while composing a new one, which is VERY useful when you have to reference many emails while composing one. You can even compose multiple email at the same time if you so wish. I remember RIM (that's what it was called then) made a big fuss about this feature when they released it and I totally agree with them. Now, this is all gone in BB10

You can keep a draft and look at other emails.

All you do is start composing the email, then hit cancel: It will give you the option to save, and then there will be a draft at the top of your hub. You can look at other emails and return... In fact you can have a few drafts at one point...
    02-09-13 01:44 PM
    Are people really this ignorant? On iPhone vs iPad and android Nexus 4 vs Nexus 10, it's the same thing. The reason you can't do that is because there isn't as much screen real estate. And before you call me a BlackBerry apologist or whatever, go pick up an iPad, and compare its mail app to the one on iPhone. Do the same with Android phone vs tablet. Now stfu and stop complaining.
    sf49ers likes this.
    02-09-13 01:46 PM
    Yes, that's exactly how it works. Many of the things that you might consider to be "core features" might in fact be things that 90% of other users never touch.

It took 6-7 years to build BBOS into what it was. It is unrealistic to believe that in 2-3 years, you can rebuild every single feature into the new platform, while you're building the platform, and supporting the old platform at the same time. So based on focus groups, and beta feedback product managers decide what things to include in the first release, and what things to add later. After the product is released and more user feedback comes in, you decide what needs to be prioritized next.
    based on the feedback here, there seems to be alot of things that should have been included in build v.1,,, just sayin',,, it's great to move ahead but just don't forget to include the awesome little things most people love...
    02-09-13 03:29 PM
    based on the feedback here, there seems to be alot of things that should have been included in build v.1,,, just sayin',,, it's great to move ahead but just don't forget to include the awesome little things most people love...
    You have to remember that you are not the average user. The users that frequent Crackberry are not indicative of "most people".
    02-09-13 04:42 PM
    And had they waited until they could add every little feature of the old OS, y'all would be complaining that it still isn't out...

The part that really kills me is that some people act like BlackBerry intentionally made choices to take something away from users, will never add them and is making you upgrade...
    02-09-13 05:38 PM
    ever think that perhaps it's because the playbook actually has enough screen real estate for that feature?
    02-09-13 05:38 PM
    ever think that perhaps it's because the playbook actually has enough screen real estate for that feature?
    Following that logic, the browser doesn't have enough screen real estate to have multiple tabs. Fail.

And to those that says BB7 had time to mature and to give BB10 OS time, that's not even relevant! We're talking PLAYBOOK here, not BB OS! It IS on the PlayBook. True, there are not a single line of code from BB7- OS in BB10 (from what they say) but that's doesn't apply to the PlayBook. The PlayBook OS was the starting foundation for the BB10 OS.
    02-10-13 11:08 AM
    Telling BB users "to be patient" is way past its best by date.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-10-13 11:18 AM
    Following that logic, the browser doesn't have enough screen real estate to have multiple tabs. Fail.
    Uhh...I think some people are getting confused here. You can compose an email and go back to view another email. You simply hit save, and you're back in the hub. That's how every OS does it so that if something happens to your phone, what you've written so far is still saved as a draft in your email. In a future update, I'd like to see it save as a draft automatically as soon as you swipe back into the hub.

Also, this won't even be necessary for most occasions, because all you have to do is swipe to the right while composing an email, and you can peak at your hub. That should be enough for most people.

Telling BB users "to be patient" is way past its best by date.
    Relax. Android and iOS can't do this either
    joe.miller likes this.
    02-10-13 11:31 AM
31 12