Sony is finally killing Betamax | The Verge

I wonder how many decades the faithful held out hope Sony would produce a new deck...

"But they still support the format!"
    "Beta just works for me, JVC is in league with the devil!"
    01-10-16 12:12 AM
    "Beta just works for me, JVC is in league with the devil!"
    Everybody knows Beta has better sound
    01-10-16 12:54 AM
    Everybody knows Beta has better sound
    But VHS had pron.

*C5303
    01-10-16 01:10 AM
    Do you have a stockpile of Yugo's as well? LOL
    What are yugos?
    Nikola Stojic likes this.
    01-10-16 01:26 AM
    What are yugos?
    Greatest car in history, comrade.
    xtremeled likes this.
    01-10-16 01:32 AM
    BB10 is DONE! FINISHED!

CONSUMERS DON'T WANT IT.

GET OVER IT !

Posted via CB10
    Cool your jets dude.
    What's the yelling for?

Nothing like my SE.
    01-10-16 01:34 AM
    Oh ok thanks, thought it was the alpha romeos

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    01-10-16 03:07 AM
    What are yugos?
    yep had to look it up myself on the web... never heard of it, Yugo's never been around this parts where I'm coming from, but looks like a nice projekt to customised a cheap hotrod to me.
    Dead cheap to fetch, stick a big V8 in to the back and roar your way and never care what other's say.
    Where I'm comming from we used to do the very same thing with ex-Army Land Rover, what a great joy and torque this beasts do develop, no need for lots of Horsepower but lots of Torque, just unstoppable.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.+
    Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 01-10-16 at 04:00 AM.
    01-10-16 03:48 AM
    BB10 is DONE! FINISHED!

CONSUMERS DON'T WANT IT.

GET OVER IT !

Posted via CB10
    I want it.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-10-16 04:18 AM
    To anybody: Alfa Romeos are just like a BlackBerry 10 operating smartphones: exclusive cars whose brand need to be preserved. As a matter of fact, while FCA is launching a new rear-traction alfa (it will also distributed in US & Canada), BlackBerry is about to dismiss its best-operating OS... from a person owning a Z30 and an alfa romeo...

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 04:46 AM
    BlackBerry OS 10.3.3 scheduled to be released in March 2016 | CrackBerry.com

If and when BlackBerry fails to come through with platform updates focused on security and privacy enhancements in 10.3.3 feel free to equate that to the PlayBook BB10 promise. In the meantime you just look ridiculous and petty.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    We'll have to wait and see if they are going to deliver it. Also you still don't get it. We won't get new features at all and that's the truth neither the update to the runtime. The runtime is probably a sacrifice for going on with Priv and having deal with Google. From a marketing perspective it's bad to say that BB10 is maintenance mode, but hey it's better to say that they will only offer security patches and not anything else, than for them to announce something and then don't deliver it at all. Their phrasing of "current runtime" in the announcement leads some to think that they will keep up with the latest Android runtime which isn't happening.
    Anyhow, we're looking at another PlayBook here folks.
    1khalid likes this.
    01-10-16 06:26 AM
    After using android(4.3 to 6.0), windows phone 8.1, Windows phone 10 dev preview, ios 9.0.2 and BlackBerry 10 os I want BlackBerry 10 bro.its awesome dude..the best OS I have ever used...

BlackBerry z3 10.3.2.2639
    Anshul_J likes this.
    01-10-16 07:45 AM
    BB10 is DONE! FINISHED!

CONSUMERS DON'T WANT IT.

GET OVER IT !

Posted via CB10
    More correctly: "The majority of consumers don't want it."

Doesn't mean that no one wants it though. It was a great platform that was never given a chance, similar to the fall of WebOS.
    01-10-16 08:49 AM
    Sony is finally killing Betamax | The Verge

I wonder how many decades the faithful held out hope Sony would produce a new deck...

"But they still support the format!"
    Betamax enjoyed a long and presumably profitable niche market for high quality multi-track audio and instrumentation recording. With two pieces of equipment about the size of a video cassette recorder you could record six hours of four audio tracks, two digital CD quality, two analogue but essentially the same quality, or better if you prefer analogue.

The problem with the bigbadwolf's attitude is it has no room for use outside his own little narrow world view. Betamax was not a consumer success, therefore Betamax should have been killed off regardless of any proffit to be made outside the consumer market where people were willing to pay a premium for better quality or a special use case. I used Betamax at work for instrumentation recording for years when there was no equivalent capability available. In all that time I used VHS at home because the quality was good enough for my use (TV) and I wanted access to the large programme library.

What people need to accept is there is also a niche market for BB10. It is not a market that needs the latest hardware specifications, or the largest application library. But it does need a kind and level of security that even BlackBerry can't deliver on Android, nor Apple on iOS, nor Microsoft on Windows phone. It is a small market, but like the Betamax market over these many years it is one able to pay a premium price to get the features they want. If BlackBerry can continue to tap into and profit from that market by making additional production runs of exiting devices, and making a few updates a year they would be crazy to leave that money on the table.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    ALToronto, brookie229 and dmlis like this.
    01-10-16 09:01 AM
    We'll have to wait and see if they are going to deliver it. Also you still don't get it. We won't get new features at all and that's the truth neither the update to the runtime. The runtime is probably a sacrifice for going on with Priv and having deal with Google. From a marketing perspective it's bad to say that BB10 is maintenance mode, but hey it's better to say that they will only offer security patches and not anything else, than for them to announce something and then don't deliver it at all. Their phrasing of "current runtime" in the announcement leads some to think that they will keep up with the latest Android runtime which isn't happening.
    Anyhow, we're looking at another PlayBook here folks.
    So you apparently also missed that whole story arch where BlackBerry and BB10 backed away from consumers to focus on government and high security enterprise, who don't want Android apps and new features as much as they want security and stability of platforms, and came out with a whole new phone OS combination for those who do.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-10-16 09:06 AM
    The problem with the bigbadwolf's attitude is it has no room for use outside his own little narrow world view. Betamax was not a consumer success, therefore Betamax should have been killed off regardless of any proffit to be made outside the consumer market where people were willing to pay a premium for better quality or a special use case. I used Betamax at work for instrumentation recording for years when there was no equivalent capability available. In all that time I used VHS at home because the quality was good enough for my use (TV) and I wanted access to the large programme library.

What people need to accept is there is also a niche market for BB10. It is not a market that needs the latest hardware specifications, or the largest application library. But it does need a kind and level of security that even BlackBerry can't deliver on Android, nor Apple on iOS, nor Microsoft on Windows phone. It is a small market, but like the Betamax market over these many years it is one able to pay a premium price to get the features they want. If BlackBerry can continue to tap into and profit from that market by making additional production runs of exiting devices, and making a few updates a year they would be crazy to leave that money on the table.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    The problem is you don't recognize satire, nor that BlackBerry has plenty of existing stock no one in the niche market is buying.
    01-10-16 09:07 AM
    BB10 is DONE! FINISHED!

CONSUMERS DON'T WANT IT.

GET OVER IT !

Posted via CB10
    Consumers may not want it, but professionals do. I want BB10 to continue and be updated.
    01-10-16 09:15 AM
    BB10 is DONE! FINISHED!

CONSUMERS DON'T WANT IT.

GET OVER IT !

Posted via CB10
    "Consumers", correct. However there are still people out there who want or need BB10. What they are in number. I have no idea. However if Chen is considering. The possibility of a new BB10 device beyond 2016 indicated that he has some idea...

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 09:19 AM
    The problem is you don't recognize satire, nor that BlackBerry has plenty of existing stock no one in the niche market is buying.
    You're wrong. In Romania for example 2 weeks ago many online stores had many Passport devices on stock and 2 days ago I just ordered the last BlackBerry Passport SE that was on stock in a trusted store. People are still buying BlackBerry 10 device and BlackBerry services.
    But is true, people who needs smartphone to be 24/7 on Facebook are buying only Android and IOS smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 09:19 AM
    Really? In the past two weeks I have had disucssions with high security enterprises who have just started rolling out BB10 devices to their employees. I guess theye are getting devices from the returns department at Walmart.
    01-10-16 09:23 AM
    Betamax enjoyed a long and presumably profitable niche market for high quality multi-track audio and instrumentation recording. With two pieces of equipment about the size of a video cassette recorder you could record six hours of four audio tracks, two digital CD quality, two analogue but essentially the same quality, or better if you prefer analogue.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Yep. This is also my point. As long as the platform is supported and work with corporate needs / standards it is a very viable and profitable option. And they can have Android based devices for the masses...

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 09:25 AM
    You're wrong. In Romania for example 2 weeks ago many online stores had many Passport devices on stock and 2 days ago I just ordered the last BlackBerry Passport SE that was on stock in a trusted store. People are still buying BlackBerry 10 device and BlackBerry services.
    But is true, people who needs smartphone to be 24/7 on Facebook are buying only Android and IOS smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe they're hard to aquire there, but here in NA they are in inventory.

Really? In the past two weeks I have had disucssions with high security enterprises who have just started rolling out BB10 devices to their employees. I guess theye are getting devices from the returns department at Walmart.
    My bad, sorry. Almost no one is purchasing. I'd love to hear they need another production run.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-10-16 09:30 AM
    Consumers may not want it, but professionals do. I want BB10 to continue and be updated.
    Not in adequate numbers to keep it alive

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 11:44 AM
    You might re-read that post. No one said there isn't inventory, quite the reverse.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 11:48 AM
    You might re-read that post. No one said there isn't inventory, quite the reverse.

Posted via CB10
    I did my part. Kept buying BB10 hardware, Z10, Q10, Leap, Passport, Classic....

I keep using them and still try to promote them when feasible.

The rest is the hands of the Market, BlackBerry and maybe a more powerful source. :-)

I do not regret the investment I did. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. As I kept a dual platform approach, using iOS devices as well, I guess the "app gap" was never an issue for me.....and if in the end we might have to migrate to Android Blackberries to enjoy their security and other BB10 migrated components, let it be. But I will use BB10 for as long as possible and supported......

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-10-16 01:01 PM
68 123