EOL if the battery dies, after that grab the next device stored away and ready to go, by just switching device with the latest backup file via Link.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    Notna Nosyel likes this.
    02-06-16 03:36 PM
    I feel the same and have voice my displeasure on other threads... one hopes that someone at BlackBerry hears us...

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    They do but WE are not Chen's concern....unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 03:41 PM
    why can't you enjoy your Passport? doesn't it work? the only thing EOL means is no more OS updates. If your phone works now, why wouldn't it work for another year or more?
    Because the OP has an ADHD, and needs new colored UI every three months.

Posted via CB10
    idhbar likes this.
    02-06-16 05:06 PM
    My BB10 device is feeling close to EOL already. Native apps I like to use frequently are no longer functioning fully.
    EnesBerry1 likes this.
    02-06-16 05:38 PM
    They (JC&Cie) promised a lot & I bought just after launch. I got hosed.
    02-06-16 05:44 PM
    is this the last year we might get some small updates or what? Because devs have left already a few of them. That makes me feel angry but what the hell can we do. Sucks that i couldn't enjoy my passport more than three fkin months.

Posted via cb10 from my blackberry passport
    lololololollo rofl
    02-06-16 06:11 PM
    Normally that would be true. But in this case, mostly those involved with BB10 were the ones that got the pink slip.

*A3-A20
    Any cold hard facts that it was BB10 team?
    Or,
    Is this just all speculation?
    02-06-16 06:52 PM
    We need to hear clear guidance from senior management on the future of BB10. If there is no guidance and reassurance that BB10 will be maintained as is (at least), then corporate customers that are left will bolt. CIO's do not want to deal with uncertainty for their secure platform. I believe there are still many important customers who rely on BB10 and are not happy with the Mickey Mouse ways of Chen and Co.
    Please BB - tell us your plans for your real "secure" operating system. We all need to hear. Do not lose your large customers.
    EnesBerry1 likes this.
    02-06-16 08:58 PM
    J is is over IoT... the automake will write their own stuff, use android for free... Qnx will wind up in washing machines...

We need to hear clear guidance from senior management on the future of BB10. If there is no guidance and reassurance that BB10 will be maintained as is (at least), then corporate customers that are left will bolt. CIO's do not want to deal with uncertainty for their secure platform. I believe there are still many important customers who rely on BB10 and are not happy with the Mickey Mouse ways of Chen and Co.
    Please BB - tell us your plans for your real "secure" operating system. We all need to hear. Do not lose your large customers.
    02-06-16 09:05 PM
    Yeahhh, not only the ui but have you seen what the heck is going on with the apps?? We don't get new features, blackberry hasn't updated facebook in a year and it sucks can't even delete a post. And when you have a long time with the same freakin os you get so used to it that you need some change. I'm sorry that you don't get such simple stuff.

Posted via CB10 from my BlackBerry Passport
    Platinum_2 likes this.
    02-07-16 12:07 AM
    why can't you enjoy your Passport? doesn't it work? the only thing EOL means is no more OS updates. If your phone works now, why wouldn't it work for another year or more?
    Well said Jaydee.
    02-07-16 12:24 AM
    Normally that would be true. But in this case, mostly those involved with BB10 were the ones that got the pink slip.

*A3-A20
    Blackberry never stated what areas are affected y the layoffs. Your source are just pure hearsay.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-16 01:54 AM
    Blackberry never stated what areas are affected y the layoffs. Your source are just pure hearsay.

Posted via CB10
    And yet that source was one of the first to report (figures were kinda off, though) about the layoffs before being confirmed by BlackBerry.

With the release of the Priv (and another Android handset reportedly scheduled for release this year), BB10 in maintenance mode, and no new BB10 handsets for 2016, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who's supposedly being booted/eased out.

*A3-A20
    02-07-16 04:11 AM
    We're talking about a small handheld mobile device that, while it is a nice convenience, really doesn't play that big a roll in the grand scheme of things.
    It really isn't that important to have to play games on a mobile device.
    Now, If you belong to a social network and you want the world to know
    WHERE you're going,
    WHAT music you're listening to on the way to where you're going
    HOW you're getting there,
    WHEN you arrive there and
    WHY you're going there in the first place, you're better off with something other than a BlackBerry anyway.

BlackBerry Demographics have always targeted older, more mature, white collar people.
    What (it appears) that most of you want is something that attracts a much younger person. A toy to play games with.

"My "WhatsApp" isn't working.
    I don't like the wall paper.
    I want more choices with icons
    I have to wait two whole seconds for my calls to connect.

I'm not talking about everyone, but in all the years I've been here there's been a large gap between the mature and the whiners. SO you know who I'm talking to.How is it that you ran Windows XP or 7 on your computer for years (the same old OS) and never complained???

The way some of you are crying here about losing your toy.......
    Half of you will probably hang yourselves when your girlfriend leaves you or your mother kicks you out of the house.

As myself, JayDee and all the many POSITIVE members that volunteer to help you here everyday, I want to repeat the most spoken phrase we say around here.

WHY NOT TRY JUST ENJOYING YOUR DEVICE WHILE YOU CAN INSTEAD OF HAVING TO FIND SOME PETTY THING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!

There's no better device than a BlackBerry And nothing can touch BB10.
    But, the reason it's going under is actually so much more superficial than you make it out to be.
    These days it's really more about what your friends like the best and how easy Android is to use compared to BB10. And ,so many of you are too lazy to read and learn for yourselves how to use something new, it's pathetic!

Even without Blackberry..... there are literally hundreds of pretty good choices out there. And before you know it, as you begin to love your new device you'll forget how BB10 worked.

ENJOY LIFES JOURNEY AND THE THINGS YOU COME ACROSS WHILE YOU CAN
    BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOUR DESTINATION WILL SNEAK UP BEHIND YOU AND BITE YOU IN THE REAR!
    02-07-16 04:46 AM
    And yet that source was one of the first to report (figures were kinda off, though) about the layoffs before being confirmed by BlackBerry.

With the release of the Priv (and another Android handset reportedly scheduled for release this year), BB10 in maintenance mode, and no new BB10 handsets for 2016, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who's supposedly being booted/eased out.

*A3-A20
    All that's being spewed out here at crackberry are just speculations created by these so called tech bloggers. They are no different to tabloid news. We don't even know what's really happening inside BlackBerry. So instead of spreading unfounded reports, why don't we just sit down and relax and have a cold San Mig Pale Pilsen. Life is so good!

Posted via CB10
    02-07-16 05:46 AM
    Maybe that's the problem. I don't think BlackBerry employs any rocket scientists!
    02-07-16 01:19 PM
    Maybe that's the problem. I don't think BlackBerry employs any rocket scientists!
    Good thing BlackBerry doesn't build rockets...
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-07-16 01:31 PM
    Good thing BlackBerry doesn't build rockets...
    Shhh... Eton & Richard might get ideas... QNX delivering stuff to the ISS... everyone with a Priv in hand... eww!!
    anon(3732391) and sid89 like this.
    02-07-16 01:46 PM
    A smarter strategy...BlackBerry should cut loose some of the BB10 ballast. For example, support Passport and later (ie the models they still sell) up to a fixed EOL date. That way they could concentrate on quality updates for what remains of BB10 instead of spreading what little remains over such a wide swath of customers. Might also encourage more people to either upgrade to a newer BB10 model or to a Priv.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-16 01:49 PM
    Coul some dismissed BlackBerry employed sw eng types not put their minds to this & the even monetize a way to extend the life of the passport with an android overscribe , , , & even maybe use the excellent Luna shell made open source by HP from the webOS days... I so wish I were capable...
    02-07-16 02:01 PM
    I guess I have a different attitude. If Starbucks doesn't want to support my phone, I don't use their app.

I can still use a Starbucks card easily enough, with all the same rewards, or I can shop elsewhere.

It's not BlackBerry's fault that Starbucks doesn't want my business.

I had the same issue with MLB last year. They didn't update their app for BlackBerry, so I dropped my $129.99 annual video subscription.

Obviously, if you care more about Starbucks than you do BB10, you should either use the well-known and supported work-arounds or jump to a mainstream OS.

When I see apps only available in Google's Play Store I just relax and realize those companies don't want my business.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 12:29 AM
    There is the Starbucks "MAKE" app on BlackBerry World that works well.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 01:05 AM
    'Waaah I hate this phone because it doesn't have a Starbucks app' - people like this should never have been BlackBerry's focus market in the first place. Trying to be all things to all people and ending up being nothing to anyone.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-08-16 08:10 AM
    Or, you could just use cobalts method or snap.
    And keep the functionality of your beloved BlackBerry.
    Apps arnt all that and a bag of chips.
    I went from a Passport to a Priv, I lasted from launch day till February 2nd and went back to the Passport.
    Grabbed the few needs via cobalts method and now I'm enjoying a stable OS and killer battery life again.
    There's really only 2 functions that I can't figure out how to get working in a few Droid apps on the Passport. Otherwise, I have an android tablet at home for other things.
    I've actually found that some android apps are more stable on the Passport vs the tablet or Priv.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-08-16 09:38 AM
    It also means that pretty much any apps that depend on external services will fall out of maintenance too (though most already have), and will eventually stop working. This isn't 2005 anymore, and so much of what we do on smartphones depends on things that aren't "standards fixed for eternity" (e.g. calls and SMS). The usability of an "unsupported" platform today is far less than what it used to be.

3rd party alternative apps may fill the gaps for some time, assuming their developers are able to maintain interest (and assuming BlackBerry World and BlackBerry's signing servers keep functioning adequately). But the lack of standards and open protocols for much of what we do, means even those have their ultimate limits.
    02-08-16 10:10 AM
74 123