My Passport is beginning to feel EOL as of the past month, really the past software update that broke Android. I'm going to have to autoload the previous OS I'm afraid.

Videos not playing audio, FastTube and RedditInMotion stability/feature issues. Browser issues. General OS slowness and lack of predictability. I'm pretty frustrated by my Passport these days, and my Classic was similarly difficult. I think this most recent update is to blame, as it's introduced a lot of light and difficult to pinpoint performance issues as well as some obvious bugs. I reverted to the previous Android runtime, but there is more going on than just that.

I really wanted to ride out the Passport until the iPhone 7's release. Maybe if 10.3.3 arrives sooner rather than later I'll be okay. But for now, I'm recognizing inefficiency that was not there before (and certainly not there in 10.2.1, which is BB10's best OS version, and the highpoint of mobile operating systems in general).

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 11:11 AM
    'Waaah I hate this phone because it doesn't have a Starbucks app' - people like this should never have been BlackBerry's focus market in the first place. Trying to be all things to all people and ending up being nothing to anyone.
    Hey! That's not fair!
    "I'm" All things to all people!. Ask anyone!
    In fact, I have as much authority as the Pope! I just don't have as many people who believe it!
    I'm also the ONLY sane person on the planet. The only reason no one believes me is because they're all in denial.

So what have we learned here, Grasshopper????
    Sometimes a little brain damage can help!!!
    02-08-16 03:46 PM
    'Waaah I hate this phone because it doesn't have a Starbucks app' - people like this should never have been BlackBerry's focus market in the first place. Trying to be all things to all people and ending up being nothing to anyone.
    Fair point. But what is BlackBerry's focus market then?

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 05:18 PM
    Fair point. But what is BlackBerry's focus market then?

Posted via CB10
    I think they should have focused all of their BB 10 marketing on professional industries such as law, executives, healthcare, government and IT (especially IT, as they would roll out devices to end users regardless of whether the users want an iPhone ).

No consumer marketing at all. They should never have bothered investing in making games available for BB 10. In retrospect the Android Runtime was quite a good idea and I like the idea of Android apps being available by Amazon, but they probably didn't have that vision at the start.

In any event they should never have tried to out-Android Android, or to out-iPhone the iPhone.
    02-08-16 06:48 PM
    As long as there's BlackBerry Hub where your emails are working, can still detect signals from your carrier to send sms or make a call. I think it's not dead at all. My carrier here in the Philippines did not release the latest BB10OS update. But I'm still enjoying the BB productivity. And honestly, I still rock with my Bold9900. Call and text feature I'm good in communicating. Depends on how you use your device.

Blackberry Pilipinas
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-09-16 01:30 AM
    Interestingly enough, Nokia gave or sold the rights for symbian to another company. That company has so far kept up on the o.s. Doubt that BlackBerry will do that but you never know...

Posted via CB10
    02-09-16 10:30 AM
    I think they should have focused all of their BB 10 marketing on professional industries such as law, executives, healthcare, government and IT (especially IT, as they would roll out devices to end users regardless of whether the users want an iPhone ).
    But what if their business uses Airwatch or Citrix MDM software? Up to the acquisition of Good, BB10 only natively supported 10% of the EMM options (now it will be around 25%).

What if the enterprise collaborates with Microsoft Office 365, Salesforce, Huddle, WebEx, Sharepoint, Basecamp, StreamWork, etc (I could go on and on)?

Unfortunately, apps aren't just about Starbucks et al. This is the predicament that BB10 finds itself in.
    02-09-16 10:46 AM
    But what if their business uses Airwatch or Citrix MDM software? Up to the acquisition of Good, BB10 only natively supported 10% of the EMM options (now it will be around 25%).

What if the enterprise collaborates with Microsoft Office 365, Salesforce, Huddle, WebEx, Sharepoint, Basecamp, StreamWork, etc (I could go on and on)?

Unfortunately, apps aren't just about Starbucks et al. This is the predicament that BB10 finds itself in.
    From the start, they should have focused their resources on those kinds of apps even if it meant ignoring Angry Birds and Facebook. Because they were never going to capture the consumer market. I honestly don't believe anyone thought they had even a remote chance of doing so even in 2013!
    02-09-16 11:47 AM
    From the start, they should have focused their resources on those kinds of apps even if it meant ignoring Angry Birds and Facebook. Because they were never going to capture the consumer market. I honestly don't believe anyone thought they had even a remote chance of doing so even in 2013!
    The problem is that the line between business and consumer is blurred with BYOD - people only want to carry one device. It would also seem that the strict, regulated, corporate/government-issued market, on its own, is too small to make an OS viable.

BB10 needed to be all things to all people like Android and iOS. Imo, being late was the issue.
    Last edited by conite; 02-09-16 at 12:26 PM.
    Mic_JP likes this.
    02-09-16 12:08 PM
    The problem is that the line between business and consumer is blurred with BYOD
    Also, as hard as BlackBerry attempted to take ownership of the term with BlackBerry Balance, etc, everyone knows that "BYOD" is really code for "We want to get rid of our old clunky BlackBerry devices, and use sleek new iPhones for work."
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-10-16 06:31 PM
    I know a lot of people believe BB10 is dead or near death, but I have to differ. Even though John Chen has made it known through several different outlets that BB10 will still be supported and people think he's being one of the typical politicians who lies through their teeth, I think he is being forth coming to what Blackberry's intentions are. The reason I believe this is because of the clientele that Blackberry has made BB10 for being executives, medical professions and government personnel. With Blackberry focusing on BES and it being developed around BB10 and the clients that has purchased either the BB10 phones or BES or both along with new client purchasing these items in governmental entities and other organizations, I don't think Blackberry wants to drop that support and loose any revenue that is coming in. If Blackberry was to end support for BB10, then you'll see these clients who have BB10 or BES start going to another OS and server support. We all have to remember that Blackberry is geared towards corporate and governmental entities and not smartphone enthusiasts. I'm glad Blackberry made BB10 and the smartphones running it and I will support them and promote them even though it will be to the brainwashed and sheeple that are among us.

Posted with my a-w-e-s-o-m-e BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition. Past posting devices: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Passport and BlackBerry Passport AT&T version.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    02-14-16 12:45 AM
    Newsflash...There is very little evidence that government or business entities are buying BB10 phones. If they were, BlackBerry would be selling more than 175,000 devices a month world wide.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    02-14-16 01:59 AM
    Newsflash...There is very little evidence that government or business entities are buying BB10 phones. If they were, BlackBerry would be selling more than 175,000 devices a month world wide.

Posted via CB10
    Newsflash right back at you, NATO approved and selected BlackBerry, German government entities has approved and selected BlackBerry and U.S. Department of Defense has again approved and selected BlackBerry. With the history BlackBerry has had it's not expected they will win every country government to purchase their phones, but everything starts small and gets bigger. Point is if there is only a few entities that have purchased from BlackBerry to include the corporate, medical and professional sides, there is enough there for BlackBerry to support it. If anyone really wants to write of BlackBerry from here then they should just move on to another platform and not think twice about it.

Posted with my a-w-e-s-o-m-e BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition. Past posting devices: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Passport and BlackBerry Passport AT&T version.
    02-14-16 06:07 AM
    Why then are sales so incredibly low ? Sales are so low that BlackBerry is losing money . If governments were buying BB10 phones in any kind of numbers BlackBerry would be telling us about that. Support may not die immediately but once production ceases due to a lack of demand effective support will cease.

When was the last time BlackBerry offered a BBOS update? Your BB10 experience will be the same.

Posted via CB10
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    02-14-16 09:26 AM
    Pretty sure production of bb10 devices has been finished for a while already.
    02-14-16 11:51 AM
    Why then are sales so incredibly low ? Sales are so low that BlackBerry is losing money . If governments were buying BB10 phones in any kind of numbers BlackBerry would be telling us about that. Support may not die immediately but once production ceases due to a lack of demand effective support will cease.

When was the last time BlackBerry offered a BBOS update? Your BB10 experience will be the same.

Posted via CB10
    Not necessarily, I don't see it that way. I'm no business expert, but as it has been shown that BlackBerry users hold on to their phones longer than the usual smartphone user, corporate entities and government entities will hold on to those BlackBerry smartphone just as long or longer. Also BlackBerry is not going to keep production going if the demand is not there and end up like they did with the Z10 because of terrible marketing. Just because production may be slow or has stopped doesn't necessarily mean that no more will be made. Production can start up again to fulfill shortages in Stock or orders for replacing the other BlackBerry smartphones purchased in the past. Again, I believe BlackBerry will still be there to support the mass of BB10 devices that are being used now and future ones to be added.

02-14-16 11:59 PM
    I know a lot of people believe BB10 is dead or near death, but I have to differ. Even though John Chen has made it known through several different outlets that BB10 will still be supported and people think he's being one of the typical politicians who lies through their teeth, I think he is being forth coming to what Blackberry's intentions are. The reason I believe this is because of the clientele that Blackberry has made BB10 for being executives, medical professions and government personnel. With Blackberry focusing on BES and it being developed around BB10 and the clients that has purchased either the BB10 phones or BES or both along with new client purchasing these items in governmental entities and other organizations, I don't think Blackberry wants to drop that support and loose any revenue that is coming in. If Blackberry was to end support for BB10, then you'll see these clients who have BB10 or BES start going to another OS and server support. We all have to remember that Blackberry is geared towards corporate and governmental entities and not smartphone enthusiasts. I'm glad Blackberry made BB10 and the smartphones running it and I will support them and promote them even though it will be to the brainwashed and sheeple that are among us.

Finally! Someone else that gets it!

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    DudeManBud Man likes this.
    02-15-16 09:35 AM
    Support just means security patches and the like after the final version of BB10 is issued.
    02-15-16 10:56 AM
    In my opinion at least 4 years, more if gov/business wants it
    02-15-16 02:12 PM
    You see quite a few gov types in the US carrying older models of BlackBerry phones... they are not realizing the gov keeps using older tech that works but will only upgrade when necessary. BlackBerry should not let those devices fail... of course that assumes they have any sense at all in waterloo...
    02-15-16 02:17 PM
    It wasn't too long ago you could still buy brand new 9900's at Verizon. There are a TON of legacy devices still in play. I think BlackBerry has done a poor job in getting those users to upgrade to BB10.

Z10, 10.3.2.858, MPJ 5000 mAh extended battery.
    02-16-16 11:24 AM
    It wasn't too long ago you could still buy brand new 9900's at Verizon. There are a TON of legacy devices still in play. I think BlackBerry has done a poor job in getting those users to upgrade to BB10.
    Yes and also bare on mind that there are many things that are now being pushed down the throat with new BB10. What are we a little girls to have Amazon anything on a phone where i need to keep sensitive data?

Considering the fact that they are not porting all the functions from OS5/6/7 to OS10, it should end as well right now because there are quite a lot of users who are fed up and who likes the simplicity of legacy systems. I know that there are way to many posts about "legacy this" and "legacy that" so i will not go off topic in this case.

Since they are not improving battery life with all ot these updates nor they tend to allow you to make UI the way you like it, they could just cease all updates. Maybe that way users would realize that lack of new shiny buttons and new calendar letters will not keep you from watching movies, browsing the internet or reading your mails on BB10 device. It will be usable and still able to load 64GiB of movies/music/whatever, still be able to get burst photos of you eating ice cream or jumping into the water during vacation, still be able to send those images via mail on 1 tap and play some games or create new entry in the calendar for "Friday Night DrinkAllYouCan" event. I understand that fear of missing out new thing is present however nothing would change if blackberry stopped issuing BB10 updates. Actually, it would lower the price of the phones after a while and you would be able to get merch for less money and enjoy more for less.

I apologize if my rant was off topic a bit.
    02-16-16 02:59 PM
    Everyone better get used to this feeling. It's going to get worse day by day. If you depend on a Starbucks app to live your life then you have a problem. You can probably tell from this comment that I don't. My problems will begin when my banking apps stop working. Hopefully, I will get another year from my Passport then I can move on as I will be ready for another device by then anyway. If calls, texting and emailing are your primary needs, then the Passport that you bought 3 months ago, will serve you very well for a long time to come.
    If these are the only things you do on your phone, BBOS would have been fine for you. Unfortunately some of us do use some of the additional tools. Not that it's the be all and end all, but the fact that we are getting no more major updates does signify BB10's death.

As for banking apps, my bank's Android app just introduced photo cheque deposit. The BlackBerry 10 app is nothing more than a Web launcher. Not sure about you, but photo cheque deposit is an incredibly useful feature, so yes I can do basic banking, but my experience is being crippled.

As much as I love BB10, I don't know if I could justify dropping another $500 on a BB10 device at this point. It's not what I want to be saying, but I couldn't recommend buying a device today for that price that will not have all the functionality and more of a device that is the fraction of a new BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-16-16 04:24 PM
    The reason I believe this is because of the clientele that Blackberry has made BB10 for being executives, medical professions and government personnel.
    Yet...
    Executives - love their shiny new iPhone, and probably created BYOD so they could use it for work (instead of the clunky old BBOS phone, which they ditched before BB10 became viable)
    Medical Professionals - who need a plethora of expensive and sophisticated medical apps, that simply aren't developed for BlackBerry devices anymore (and probably never were developed for BB10)
    Government Personnel - who are likely still using their gov't issued BBOS devices

Unfortunately, BB10 likely needed at least 3+ years of in-market maturity before decision-makers in these categories would even pay serious attention to it. Yet, here we are, and its now too late.
    02-20-16 09:31 PM
74 123