lol, ok, I'll be serious. So I'm at work, finished up a brake job when my tool guy walks into my shop. He's trying to sell me a bluetooth OBD-2 connector that serves as a basic scan tool (an aid for engine diagnostic work) as an app on your phone. I've known him for a while and he knows I use a BlackBerry. But what really threw me off is that he asked if my Z10 can use apps...

Now in my mind, I did a huge face-palm motion but during the situation, I began to explain to him how our phones can use both Android and BlackBerry apps. The thing that really got me was the ignorance towards the operating system.

Chip in your awkward tales of being a BlackBerry user among the contemporary general public. I wanna hear 'em!

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 08:46 PM
    what the hell company is trying to sell you a bluetooth dongle?

I bought this guy for 300 bucks (and ended up getting a "bargain" at 1,000 dollars for the 13.2 software)

those bluetooth readers are junk.
    07-12-13 08:58 PM
    buy a 15-20 bluetooth dongle and buy Torque for $5.

Oh and just because you can load SOME android apps doesnt mean they will all work
    07-12-13 09:14 PM

Oh and just because you can load SOME android apps doesnt mean they will all work
    Well the ones people usually cry about work though, such as Instagram.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 09:18 PM
    What annoys me is when people with a cheap, low-end Curve compare the phone to the latest iP5 or GS3/4!!!

Posted via CB10
    vaioman likes this.
    07-12-13 09:21 PM

to be completely honest, torque SUCKS for the diagnostics a lot of shops need to use it for. It's a neat little toy, and does more than I thought it would, but there's not enough there for me to consider benching a MODIS or even a small pocket OBD2 reader in favor of it.

I've seen torque pull DTC's that weren't in history, current, or pending. My buddy had a ford ranger with an ABS light, and it was telling me it was code P0420, which is catalyst efficiency.

AND fwiw, Torque isn't supposed to be able to connect to a bluetooth dongle with the Z10, yet. Allegedly, with Jelly Bean, it will.
    07-12-13 09:24 PM
    to be completely honest, torque SUCKS for the diagnostics a lot of shops need to use it for. It's a neat little toy, and does more than I thought it would, but there's not enough there for me to consider benching a MODIS or even a small pocket OBD2 reader in favor of it.

I've seen torque pull DTC's that weren't in history, current, or pending. My buddy had a ford ranger with an ABS light, and it was telling me it was code P0420, which is catalyst efficiency.

AND fwiw, Torque isn't supposed to be able to connect to a bluetooth dongle with the Z10, yet. Allegedly, with Jelly Bean, it will.
    i agree for a shop it isnt enough but for your shadetree mechanic like most on here would be enough. Not sure about on the Z but i use it on my nexus and it works great. I am not paying again for my Z at this point
    07-12-13 09:32 PM
    what the hell company is trying to sell you a bluetooth dongle?

I bought this guy for 300 bucks (and ended up getting a "bargain" at 1,000 dollars for the 13.2 software)

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...75878797_n.jpg

those bluetooth readers are junk.
    Nice, I do love Snap-On scan tools but the rep never comes around. I think the last time he showed his face was 6 weeks ago. Anyway, it was a Matco Tools rep lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 10:45 PM
    Sorry for the late replies. I'm kind of green at this forums stuff, haha

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 10:51 PM
    What annoys me is when people with a cheap, low-end Curve compare the phone to the latest iP5 or GS3/4!!!

Posted via CB10
    That brings another point to mind. I hate when low-end Curve owners complain that BlackBerry sucks but they never owned out a Z10 or a Q. Hell, not even a 9900 lol

Posted via CB10
    KermEd likes this.
    07-12-13 10:53 PM
    I had a woman come in and upgrade from a 9900 to a Q10 and said "I can get apps now, right?" I told her she could do it on her old phone and she looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Posted via CB10
    LtHavoc21 and 3hb78ftg like this.
    07-14-13 12:46 AM
    My friends company said that they are going to ditch BlackBerry's and use Samsung's, because they said that it's "more secure" I just face palmed and walked away.

Posted via CB10
    LtHavoc21 likes this.
    07-14-13 02:05 AM
    A friend of mine finally got the Z10, but some stupid sales rep tried talking him out. She said, get an iPhone or a Galaxy, but he insisted.

Finally, she told him "Okay, you can buy the phone, but it takes an hour to boot" (I made a WTF face when he told me).

Ofc, he bought the Zed and it booted in under a minute right in front of the clueless lady who admitted not knowing anything about the platform.
    cheadlender and bquinney like this.
    07-14-13 02:18 AM
    It will be the downfall of BlackBerry unfortunately so many people I know are just hard on for android and Samsung as many actual facts that I can throw at them just fall on deaf ears.
    BlackBerry needs to really step there game up in legit advertising not the artistic garbage they've been riding on so far and get into retail stores with a bonus to sales people that push the product for them like Samsung and apple do.
    The sad fact is we look down on these people who aren't tech savvy even the slightest but they're the ones who are going to make or break the future of this company so instead of "facepalming" them they need the facts shoved in there face with advertising at every given moment and not watching a man fly around on a carpet but app stats and awesome keyboard demos etc.

Posted via the Batcave
    07-14-13 04:32 AM
    It will be the downfall of BlackBerry unfortunately so many people I know are just hard on for android and Samsung as many actual facts that I can throw at them just fall on deaf ears.
    BlackBerry needs to really step there game up in legit advertising not the artistic garbage they've been riding on so far and get into retail stores with a bonus to sales people that push the product for them like Samsung and apple do.
    The sad fact is we look down on these people who aren't tech savvy even the slightest but they're the ones who are going to make or break the future of this company so instead of "facepalming" them they need the facts shoved in there face with advertising at every given moment and not watching a man fly around on a carpet but app stats and awesome keyboard demos etc.

Posted via the Batcave
    Totally agree, especially in the US. BlackBerry needs to change the general perception of it's OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 09:20 AM

Posted via the Batcave
    I tried to throw all the facts at my visiting family yesterday about why BB10 is so great. They could have cared less. They use iPhones only. They also have multiple iPads, iTouches, Apple TV, etc. Since they have kids and travel a lot, it is just easier to sync and share media across all devices without taking extra steps. Buried in the Apple ecosystem. But, I can't really fault them because it works so well. I was just shocked at how dismissive others are of the new BlackBerry phones. No one cared to see peek and flow and active tiles.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 10:43 AM
    A word of warning to prospective OBD2-dongle buyers:

Bluetooth OBD2-Dongles wont work with BBRY, neither with Backberry phones nor with the Playbook. I learned the hard way, after having bought 2 different ones.

There are, however, OBD2-Wifi dongles on the market, of which there is only one, called VGATE, that actually works with Blackberry. (For techies: BBRY requires Wifi with infrastructure mode, i.e. providing a DHCP server. BBRY devices cant connect to Wifi-OBD2 Dongles in ad-hoc mode, i.e. requiring a fixed IP address).

BUT: After having bought a Vgate Wifi-dongle, installed Torque-pro on my Playbook, finally getting everything to work as expected, I found out that my car (a brand new Volvo V70) didnt at all like an OBD2-dongle reading out the cars computer in real-time while driving. The cars electronics suddenly started behaving erratically. That was the end of that - at least as far as using Torque-pro on the Volvo is concerned. Apparently OBD2-readouts should only be done while the car is not being driven.
    07-14-13 11:10 AM
    I had a woman come in and upgrade from a 9900 to a Q10 and said "I can get apps now, right?" I told her she could do it on her old phone and she looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Posted via CB10
    That is priceless!! Hahaha, good one

Posted with my weapon of choice, Z10.
    07-14-13 02:45 PM
    My friends company said that they are going to ditch BlackBerry's and use Samsung's, because they said that it's "more secure" I just face palmed and walked away.

Posted via CB10
    I'm going to love seeing all this play out. Maybe it's time to go on a ethical hacking spree

07-14-13 02:47 PM
    A friend of mine finally got the Z10, but some stupid sales rep tried talking him out. She said, get an iPhone or a Galaxy, but he insisted.

Finally, she told him "Okay, you can buy the phone, but it takes an hour to boot" (I made a WTF face when he told me).

Ofc, he bought the Zed and it booted in under a minute right in front of the clueless lady who admitted not knowing anything about the platform.
    Typical. Fortunately, when I bought my Z10 the guy was cool. He could tell I knew what I wanted and had been waiting for this phone for a while. Business was swift to say the least lol

07-14-13 02:49 PM
    Totally agree, especially in the US. BlackBerry needs to change the general perception of it's OS.

Posted via CB10
    Especially since it's a completely new OS.

07-14-13 02:51 PM
    A word of warning to prospective OBD2-dongle buyers:

Bluetooth OBD2-Dongles wont work with BBRY, neither with Backberry phones nor with the Playbook. I learned the hard way, after having bought 2 different ones.

There are, however, OBD2-Wifi dongles on the market, of which there is only one, called VGATE, that actually works with Blackberry. (For techies: BBRY requires Wifi with infrastructure mode, i.e. providing a DHCP server. BBRY devices cant connect to Wifi-OBD2 Dongles in ad-hoc mode, i.e. requiring a fixed IP address).

BUT: After having bought a Vgate Wifi-dongle, installed Torque-pro on my Playbook, finally getting everything to work as expected, I found out that my car (a brand new Volvo V70) didnt at all like an OBD2-dongle reading out the cars computer in real-time while driving. The cars electronics suddenly started behaving erratically. That was the end of that - at least as far as using Torque-pro on the Volvo is concerned. Apparently OBD2-readouts should only be done while the car is not being driven.
    Interesting info indeed. He was just trying to make a sales pitch though. I already have a scan tool of my own.

07-14-13 02:54 PM