Hello all. First off my apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I consider this to be both a phone and OS question. I have just learned that RIM will be discontinuing its BBOS in 2019 and will be switching completely to Android. I have read a few articles that say there MAY still be some support after 2019 but it would seem that its no more.

I know that there is talk of a trade-in program but it is to an android phone essentially.
    I know that BB doesn't do the whole root think like Android does, but it defeats the purpose of using BB.

I have noticed that I cannot add a payment to my Passport for the purchase of apps, and pretty soon App World will cease to exist as well.

What options are out there for folks that want to leave the Android ecosystem! I just bought this passport and feel as if I may have wasted my money.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    04-02-18 11:07 PM
    I just bought this passport and feel as if I may have wasted my money.
    Sorry to say this but if you do/will depend on apps you may have wasted your money. If you are more about email/text/calls then rest assured that your phone will work fine until the end of 2019 and, in all likelihood, beyond that date. If you are not into android you have only one option (realistically) and that is iOS or Apple.
    04-02-18 11:13 PM
    That's what I was afraid of! I am trying to get back to a simple device; I do have a few apps that I use but outside that I am good with email (although protonmail is much easier with an app) and text/bbm.

It'd be nice if one could create a custom rom from BBOS...lots of things about BBOS 10 I like

Never iPhone...lol

Posted via CB10
    dimonic likes this.
    04-02-18 11:24 PM
    that's easy to say ... who's supposed to do that ... nobody knows the source code ... do you have the time to clamp yourself free of charge?
    04-03-18 12:48 AM
    Even if you had the latest source code and built the ultimate version of BB10 with it, it still couldn't be loaded on existing BB10 devices without BB's encryption key - and they will not be giving that to anyone.

BB's security features ensure that only BB can work on the OS, so if they won't, no one can.
    04-03-18 04:01 PM
    Hello all. First off my apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I consider this to be both a phone and OS question. I have just learned that RIM will be discontinuing its BBOS in 2019 and will be switching completely to Android. I have read a few articles that say there MAY still be some support after 2019 but it would seem that its no more.

I know that there is talk of a trade-in program but it is to an android phone essentially.
    I know that BB doesn't do the whole root think like Android does, but it defeats the purpose of using BB.
    I have noticed that I cannot add a payment to my Passport for the purchase of apps, and pretty soon App World will cease to exist as well.

What options are out there for folks that want to leave the Android ecosystem! I just bought this passport and feel as if I may have wasted my money.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    RIM ceased to be RIM in 2013 when they rebranded themselves as BlackBerry, and released BB10. BBOS is the earlier operating system.

Just learned? Where are you located? While the official EOL announcement was only this year, there's been no support or devices from BlackBerry for a year or two.

You don't want Android or iOS, so your only options are slim to none.

Just sayin'.......

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-03-18 04:42 PM
    That's what I was afraid of! I am trying to get back to a simple device; I do have a few apps that I use but outside that I am good with email (although protonmail is much easier with an app) and text/bbm.

It'd be nice if one could create a custom rom from BBOS...lots of things about BBOS 10 I like

Never iPhone...lol

Posted via CB10
    You should look at Sailfish OS or Librem Phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-18 05:55 PM
    Eh, BBOS has been dead for a few years now... BB10 is going to be dead in 2019.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    04-03-18 05:56 PM
    You should look at Sailfish OS or Librem Phone.

Posted via CB10
    Or LuneOS.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    04-03-18 05:57 PM
    RIM ceased to be RIM in 2013 when they rebranded themselves as BlackBerry, and released BB10. BBOS is the earlier operating system.

Just learned? Where are you located? While the official EOL announcement was only this year, there's been no support or devices from BlackBerry for a year or two.

You don't want Android or iOS, so your only options are slim to none.

Just sayin'.......

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    I just learned as I JUST came back to Blackberry; so all I remember is RIM. So it would appear that I will be going back to Android

Thanks
    04-03-18 06:31 PM
    I just learned as I JUST came back to Blackberry; so all I remember is RIM. So it would appear that I will be going back to Android

Thanks
    Ahhhhh, that makes more sense. Yeah, unfortunately, Android or iOS are the main choices. I expect to move to BlackDroid this year. Just waiting for new device announcements.

Cheers,

Pete
    AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    04-03-18 09:04 PM
    See...bbos is still kicking around out there....no doubt bb10 users will be as well, after 2020.
    Course it would even be better if someone (say semi-retired/academic or the likes) picks up and takes the BlackBerryWorld store off of BlackBerry's books in 2020 with their blessings (not necessarily completely open-source modelled though),( with a reversion rider maybe), lock, stock and barrel, and breathes new life, as a still functioning master archive repository of sorts with improvements..(like creator challenges to malicious feedback about apps etc), with maybe some app development still occuring...or pay as you go model, or membership model, maybe with an innovative model of distribution (primary distribution bit-torrent like)?

What tools are currently still available to backup apps that you delete? Being backed up to your pc, that will also restore, selectively and non-destructively, that won't rely on BlackBerryWorld?

It would be a shame to wipe it all out, as lots of legacy applications on the desktop for example have already been. Will the appdev toolset still be available to developers of bb10 after 2020? Anybody know ?
    04-03-18 09:58 PM
    If BIS ends in 2020... that will greatly limit what a BBOS device can do.

If BBID and Activation Servers shutdown in 2020.... that will possible be an issue for both BBOS and BB10 phones. At a minimum you won't be able to wipe a phone, install a clean OS or setup a new device.

But at that point BlackBerry World will be gone, as well as many core applications... Assistant, Maps, BBM... at that point why fight trying to keep some old hardware going?
    04-04-18 10:19 AM
    If BBID and Activation Servers shutdown in 2020.... that will possible be an issue for both BBOS and BB10 phones. At a minimum you won't be able to wipe a phone, install a clean OS or setup a new device.
    We thought that'd be the case for webOS as well, but we found a workaround. No doubt someone's gonna find a workaround for BB10 in 2020 as well.

04-04-18 06:04 PM
    If BIS ends in 2020... that will greatly limit what a BBOS device can do.

But at that point BlackBerry World will be gone, as well as many core applications... Assistant, Maps, BBM... at that point why fight trying to keep some old hardware going?
    Has there been any official word on the BBID and Activation Servers? All I've heard about is BlackBerry World and BIS going away at the end of 2019.
    04-04-18 06:05 PM
    We thought that'd be the case for webOS as well, but we found a workaround. No doubt someone's gonna find a workaround for BB10 in 2020 as well.

What are the options those days to use WebOS devices and apps?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-18 10:49 PM
    Has there been any official word on the BBID and Activation Servers? All I've heard about is BlackBerry World and BIS going away at the end of 2019.
    Nothing yet. Official word was so general that it was hard to figure out what they meant and what specifically happens to each of the various services.

I don't know why BlackBerry can't give us a clear breakdown of each service and what will happen and how it affects our phones.

Other than, as you said, BBW and BIS.

Maybe those are the only services they are shutting down, and BBID and Activation will stay.

Doubt it, though.
    04-07-18 12:14 AM
    What are the options those days to use WebOS devices and apps?

Posted via CB10
    There are about 10 guys left on WebOS Nation.... doing things to keep their "habit" going that a secure (locked down) BlackBerry would never allow. One guy pulled memory module from one and installed it in another to get his data...
    04-09-18 09:03 AM