I dont know about PS4 or xbox one cause I dun follow this stuff anymore nowadays but the old versions of the consoles were backward compatible to at least back one generation.

However lets compare the leader of the pack here for a second and maybe try to rub off some of what theyre doing right and why they magically have more customers for some reason that BBRY cant figure out yet. Yes, apps developed for 1st gen ipod touch or 1st gen iphone works perfectly fine on the latest ipad mini.

I have qualms with the itunes too, but thats related to them only allowing you to download movies once. But thats a rights issue more than anything else. However their apps are backward compatible to all generations of devices.
    They do? Thats why I get a torrent of app updates every time a new format of iPhone or iPad comes out, and another torrent of app updates every time a new iOS version comes out.

Then lets look at Mac OSX, which as I understand it no longer runs Mac OS 9 apps. (though they did have an emulator for a short time then they dumped it).

Emulation might be a "nice to have" but is not in any way shape or form 'due diligence'. Lets talk about Microsoft for instance. If Backwards compatability was so important each version of MS-DOS would not have broken the number one software on the platform. Anyone recall the joke people came up with since every version of MS-DOS seemed to break one major application "DOS isnt done until Lotus won't run".

We're only even talking about this because it is Blackberry that came out with BB10. If QNX was not bought by RIM and developed their own phones we wouldnt even be havnig this conversation.
    sonic_reducer likes this.
    07-04-13 05:20 AM
    Reinstalled? Well of course it had to be Re installed, but they worked right.

Posted via CB10
    Of course, after they became the correct version for the device. Except for the ones not updated for OS7. Those I left off because the CB app store and AppWorld said I couldn't have them. Wrong device/OS and all that.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 05:32 AM
    It is true that adding a BBOS emulator is technically possible. So, the reasons for not doing so are, probably, not technical but based on costs and functionality. I'm not sure, but I guess that the form factor / screen resolution of the old devices may lead to an unpleasant user experience when emulated on a Z10 - so BlackBerry could end up being bashed instead of praised for offering backward compatibility.

Secondly, there is the financial cost for doing so - they had to concentrate their resources in order to bring BB10 on a par with the rivals. Backward compatibility could be an unwelcome drag in a race against time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-04-13 06:55 AM
    Used blackberry for as long as I could remember. Finally upgraded today to the Q10. I realize some apps may not work in newer OSes, but it looks like they revamped everything to the point there is no backward compatability.

Major fail here IMO and I'm kinda angry. Is it so bad for BB OS developers to quickly add some kind of emulator that works for old java programs so people can continue to use old programs? I mean their selection here is highly limited. And with blackberry as a company on the brink of bankrupcy and their stock taking a nose dive, not many developers are making refresh apps for the new OS. Major major fail.

So is there really no way to get old apps to work on the new OSes? I read up on the .jar .jad and now it uses .bar thing. Just wow. I think they should have made backward compatability. This is basic new OS upgrade due dilligence 101. Ask microsoft. They always make sure new OSes can at least support last generation of software. I'm disappointed. </rants>
    Thats a day in the life of computers, ever wonder why they put system requirements on the box. It's cause it's built for a certain system, same here, you must be still watching a CRT.

Posted via CB10
    sonic_reducer likes this.
    07-04-13 07:03 AM
    Used blackberry for as long as I could remember. Finally upgraded today to the Q10. I realize some apps may not work in newer OSes, but it looks like they revamped everything to the point there is no backward compatability.

Major fail here IMO and I'm kinda angry. Is it so bad for BB OS developers to quickly add some kind of emulator that works for old java programs so people can continue to use old programs? I mean their selection here is highly limited. And with blackberry as a company on the brink of bankrupcy and their stock taking a nose dive, not many developers are making refresh apps for the new OS. Major major fail.

So is there really no way to get old apps to work on the new OSes? I read up on the .jar .jad and now it uses .bar thing. Just wow. I think they should have made backward compatability. This is basic new OS upgrade due dilligence 101. Ask microsoft. They always make sure new OSes can at least support last generation of software. I'm disappointed. </rants>
    First, the emulator would be a lot of work and overhead. Second, at the current rate, they will run out of cash in 9 YEARS, so to say they are on the brink of bankruptcy is a stretch. Lastly, apps are coming and as more are sold, more will be converted.
    web99 likes this.
    07-04-13 07:11 AM
    Which is why they have no customers either. (Notice: 'either').

On the other hand, I dont think there is a single first gen app from the itunes store that wouldnt work on any iphone, or ipad, or ipad mini etc. I know cause I have a new ipad and I downloaded my old games I had from my itunes account that I purchased years ago for my ipod touch 1st gen. It still works. You see the difference? Seriously, guys at apple are doing it right. BBRY seriously needs to get these little things in order. Anyway they can ride their high horse but it doesnt help their bottom line as they've just alienated even me with stuff like this.
    Well with that comment you completely underminded your argument that windows phone isa backward compatible. As far as apple goes its easy for first gen apps to work when there really hasnt been any changes to an OS in 7 years (and i dont mean visual changes to the ui).

If no developers are supporting BB10 why does BB10 have more apps and better ones than BBOS?
    07-04-13 07:23 AM
    WP7 apps run just fine on WP8 devices, so I'm not sure what you mean. Sure, WP7 phones weren't upgradeable to 8 but that's a separate issue.
    I guess it depends on the app. I used some window phone 7 apps on win 8 phone and they werent so good. I guess this is similar to android run time on BB10 some work better on BB10 then android while others barely work.
    07-04-13 07:34 AM
    If no developers are supporting BB10 why does BB10 have more apps and better ones than BBOS?
    Fully agree

Posted via CB from my LE
    07-04-13 07:38 AM
    Well with that comment you completely underminded your argument that windows phone isa backward compatible. As far as apple goes its easy for first gen apps to work when there really hasnt been any changes to an OS in 7 years (and i dont mean visual changes to the ui).

What? When did I say windows phone is backwards compatible. Reread the posts. It wasnt me. I was merely quoting him, in a rhetorical fashion to explain why probably both windows phone and blackberry is doing so poorly compared to apple. One of the reasons being their apps, and the user ecosystem are inferior to apple, and that old apple apps you can still use to this date even on their newest OSes (huge huge plus here as nobody likes their old stuff being redundant).
    07-04-13 10:21 AM
    OP, android apps are integrated with other apps in app world. it isn't under a separate column
    To convert, I suggest you stick to the easy conversion method, and use the website apk2bar
    Then install either using ddpb OR chrome playbook extension

The code behind the conversion is supplied by RIM, but, to explain to you the whole process will take a long time, and is rather hard with the amount of understanding you have in respect to this subject. So that's why I'm giving you the easy way out of using the website and programs. I personally just run scripts
    We have given you the tools, what you want to do with them is up to you. But don't say that the new OS isn't good because it can't run old apps. I guarantee you that in a few years Apple will destroy iOS and come out with a new OS that isn't backwards compatible. It always happens, just sooner or later
    Yeah Im doing a little reading on it now thanks.

Although I am a little unsure how wise it is using third party software to load banking apps onto the phone. Worried about the security aspect of it. Probably not a good idea. For a game who cares but banking app? I'd rather wait until the bank releases it. And so far they indicated they are not looking at it so thats that.

I do like the OS in general. One other thing I dislike and that I brought up is the emails. They should allow a setting where your emails are purely in plain text like in the old days. Some formatted emails act like webpages. It is really annoying with the tiny font and you need to zoom in and scroll around. What a hastle.
    rthonpm likes this.
    07-04-13 10:26 AM

Agree entirely. Very little forethought by BBRY. I mean they had several years to get this right and it's brutal. Even the limited app availability for BB7 couldn't make it across to BB10. Yes, yes, entirely new OS etc etc but couldn't BBRY spend a little bit of effort to get some of the more important ones over? BBRY bragged that BB10 had more apps at launch than any other new OS. Great but so many of those apps sucked or were ported from Android and freeze/crash. C'mon BBRY, get it together!!!
    07-04-13 10:34 AM
    It's like Apple: pre Mac OS X software can't run on Mac OS X or above.

Apple broke backwards compatability 100 percent.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 04:55 PM
    Bbos7 was 10 pounds of garbage wrapped in 5 pounds of duct tape.

If you want that stuff - you'll need to port your own JVM.

But It's just not worth it. The apps back then we're miserable in comparison to bb10 (think of it this way, all the Android ports are superior to the os7 apps - and people hate those). I'm happy to see them dead.

Posted via CB from my LE
    07-04-13 05:49 PM
    The only major fail I see is not researching before purchasing. We have known this for over 2 years now.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    pili4 and rthonpm like this.
    07-04-13 10:43 PM
    Sigh. No offense to you but people really don't realize what software developers go through.
    07-04-13 10:46 PM
    Sigh. No offense to you but people really don't realize what software developers go through.
    Yes we do. Life is just one big continual party when you're a developer. That's why I had to give it up.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 11:48 PM
    Bbos7 was 10 pounds of garbage wrapped in 5 pounds of duct tape.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Really funny! It's a difficult case though. Obviously native is best. BlackBerry went with side loading Android which is probably the best call for range and variety. The OS emulator has appeal to legacy users in respect of stuff like the bank apps that are not available on Android.

I hope someone does develop an emulator, even on the desktop, just for posterity and all that.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 11:54 PM
    Try the mobile browser version of your banking site. That's what I do and I even save it as a home screen icon. Works perfectly. That is the future anyway instead of disparate mobile OS specific apps.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 02:17 AM
    Try the mobile browser version of your banking site. That's what I do and I even save it as a home screen icon. Works perfectly. That is the future anyway instead of disparate mobile OS specific apps.

Posted via CB10
    Can't deposit checks from a mobile webapp. And yes, even in this day and age folks do still receive checks for some things.
    07-05-13 02:22 AM
    Why would anyone want to run BBOS apps on BB10? Coded for a smaller, lower resolution screen, with the majority not being programmed with touchscreen devices in mind. These apps would look and run horribly on BB10. Which would degrade people's experience of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    07-05-13 06:44 AM
    I don't think backwards compatability is very important. I can't think on an app that I would want to bring over to bb10.

BlackBerry is not going bankrupt.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    07-05-13 08:24 AM
    I kinda confused why so many are defending BB on this here. I think like anything else, backwards compatability is important as not all the apps will make it to a new platform, and not all developers for certain applications will develop in new platforms. Having it can only be a plus. it wouldnt be a negative.
    07-05-13 10:47 AM
    I kinda confused why so many are defending BB on this here. I think like anything else, backwards compatability is important as not all the apps will make it to a new platform, and not all developers for certain applications will develop in new platforms. Having it can only be a plus. it wouldnt be a negative.
    Unless getting compatibility functional and maintaining it is more trouble than it's worth.
    07-05-13 11:04 AM
    Does anyone recall the BlackBerry World conference a few years ago when PlayBook was first announced? One of the things that was planned was a BB app "player", that, in the same way as the "Android Player", would allow you to run many BBOS apps, and there may have even been some demos in certain venues where an early version of the BBOS player was shown.. They shelved plans for this a year later, but IMO, this was a bad move.. There were a lot of decent BBOS apps that could have been run on a Java emulator- the device would certainly have had the horsepower to handle it: BBOS ran on single core processors clocked at 624 MHz or less.. And it would have provided some continuity between generations of OS..
    07-05-13 02:26 PM
    Does anyone recall the BlackBerry World conference a few years ago when PlayBook was first announced? One of the things that was planned was a BB app "player", that, in the same way as the "Android Player", would allow you to run many BBOS apps, and there may have even been some demos in certain venues where an early version of the BBOS player was shown.. They shelved plans for this a year later, but IMO, this was a bad move.. There were a lot of decent BBOS apps that could have been run on a Java emulator- the device would certainly have had the horsepower to handle it: BBOS ran on single core processors clocked at 624 MHz or less.. And it would have provided some continuity between generations of OS..
    Maybe they learned something from Palm. In theory, the emulator was a good idea. In practice it wasn't so good.
    07-06-13 02:41 PM
119 12345