Like I told Jennifer Lawrence, don't transmit nude photos electronically if you aren't ready to accept the consequences of them being acquired by some party in the middle.
    10-13-14 02:09 PM
    What SnapChat was trying to do wasn't possible, but they didn't even try hard. This was just released:

https://github.com/thebradbain/snapception

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 02:27 PM
    The Snappening this is why I will only let my kids use BBM to text Friends
    Keep up the good work Blackberry you will show the world the truth about security
    10-13-14 03:25 PM
    You've completely missed the point. You can't make a secure sexting or file sharing application. Once you send everything a person needs to view a file, they have everything they need to copy that file. Just look at how successful DVD copy protection has been.

If you are going to argue that you need something to be able to share files with people you trust to not make it public, there are already many solutions for that. For some BBM is already adequate.

SnapChat sold a service that they couldn't deliver to a bunch of gullible people.

Posted via CB10
    BBM is adequate and that is my point. They could code something additional in to give you an option to allow a picture be sent with a limited lifetime and block the phone from taking a screen cap of that photo. It wouldn't prevent another camera from takin a pic of the screen, but would provide some additional security. I would never share something with someone I didn't trust. My other point is BlackBerry has had many opportunities handed to them by others to stress the security of the platform and have never really taken advantage of those opportunities.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    10-13-14 08:23 PM
    BBM is adequate and that is my point. They could code something additional in to give you an option to allow a picture be sent with a limited lifetime and block the phone from taking a screen cap of that photo. It wouldn't prevent another camera from takin a pic of the screen, but would provide some additional security. I would never share something with someone I didn't trust. My other point is BlackBerry has had many opportunities handed to them by others to stress the security of the platform and have never really taken advantage of those opportunities.

It's just very hard to implement man

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    10-13-14 11:25 PM

So at the outset you have already identified a major problem with security, but not devised a way of combating it. So you are assuming that it either is not important or there can be a way around it. Taking a picture of the screent to save a picture received by SnapChat never became a major issue because their protocol was so poorly designed third party applications came about that provide the same service with better quality and less effort. Improving that protocol would only push the security problem to the next easiest to exploit flaw.

How important this flaw is depends on the consequences of disclosure. If you're sending funy-face selfies to your grandmother, the concequences of disclosure are small. For someone sexting a partner not knowing there is an acromonious breakup in the future the concequences could be significant. If the someone is underage the concequences could be criminal charges. SnapChat clearly didn't put much thought into their system, and are now engaged in directing blame at everyone except themselves. Imagine BlackBerry in that situation.

What you are suggesting is that BlackBerry try to dominate the sexting space. Since most sexting is done by underage children, is this really a business sector anyone wants to pursue? How many Fortune 500 companies do you think would buy an enterprise solution from SnapChat?
    10-14-14 08:31 AM

Well, I stand completely corrected and chastised :

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 04:32 PM

Sounds like somebody at BlackBerry has been listening to you.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 12:53 PM
    Well, I stand completely corrected and chastised :

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry or SnapChat are not to blame for children sexting, their parents bought them their phone, their parents are responsible for their Internet usage and their parents are responsible for instilling wisdom and strong moral fiber.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    10-18-14 01:09 PM
    BlackBerry or SnapChat are not to blame for children sexting, their parents bought them their phone, their parents are responsible for their Internet usage and their parents are responsible for instilling wisdom and strong moral fiber.

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't agree more!

Via CB10 from Scotland on my awesome PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    oystersourced likes this.
    10-18-14 01:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Clearly it's the fault of the cell phone service providers, they provide the ability for the communication...

/sarcasm

Posted via CB10
    oystersourced likes this.
    10-18-14 01:48 PM
36 12