BBC News - Nude 'Snapchat images' put online by hackers

Does anybody know if a BlackBerry App was one of the third party apps mentioned?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 12:03 PM
    The original article links to another article (see here: Snapchat Hacked: 'The Snappening' - Business Insider) that mentions two sources of the hack:

1. Snapsave - a "popular Android app"
    2. SnapSaved.com - a service that "acted as a web client for the Snapchat app that allowed users to receive photos and videos, and save them online"

So none of them is a BlackBerry app.
    10-10-14 12:16 PM
    Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 12:18 PM
    It sounds like they are talking about web services that mimic a Snapchat client and allow the recipients to bypass the auto-delete function. But that's what happens when you sell digital snake oil. The basic service of the application is impossible to deliver.
    10-10-14 12:21 PM
    hmm so a 3rd party app that probably doesnt have good security or purposely stored photos is the source. Not surprised at all something like that happened. Anytime a 3rd party app is used this type of thing could happen, doesnt matter the OS
    diegonei, 00stryder and walt63 like this.
    10-10-14 12:22 PM
    hmm so a 3rd party app that probably doesnt have good security or purposely stored photos is the source. Not surprised at all something like that happened. Anytime a 3rd party app is used this type of thing could happen, doesnt matter the OS
    The point of the matter is that a 3r party app should have never been able to do this if it wasn't for the fact that the service itself lacks the necessary security to prevent it.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 12:29 PM
    Now makes me wonder how safe Snap2Chat is... lol
    10-10-14 12:30 PM
    How about we cut to the chase... where the pics at??

Posted via My Beast Q10
    10-10-14 12:31 PM
    The point of the matter is that a 3r party app should have never been able to do this if it wasn't for the fact that the service itself lacks the necessary security to prevent it.

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly the point and one Snapchat seem reluctant to resolve.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 12:32 PM
    Finding more and more reasons not to use Snapchat. I supported NemOry and got Snap2chat but have been weary of actually using the service. Not because of the 3rd party app, but Snapchat itself. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 12:40 PM
    Finding more and more reasons not to use Snapchat. I supported NemOry and got Snap2chat but have been weary of actually using the service. Not because of the 3rd party app, but Snapchat itself. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Posted via CB10
    Snap2Chat is 60% buggy anyway. Wouldn't really recommend it.

Posted via CB10 on Blackberry Q5
    10-10-14 12:55 PM
    Snapchat could be locked up more then fort knox, but it wouldn't stop people from taking a screenshot of the picture and uploading it to a third part app....

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 01:24 PM
    Snapchat could be locked up more then fort knox, but it wouldn't stop people from taking a screenshot of the picture and uploading it to a third part app....
    Posted via CB10
    When it comes to security principles this is one of the worst viewpoints one could hold.

If they don't allow third-party apps for security reasons then it's fairly poor to just rely on your terms of service. It's fairly straightforward to put client verification on the API.

If a user wants to breach terms of service and data privacy laws then that's for them to chance and suffer the consequences.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 01:41 PM
    Snap2chat offers ability to view snaps for unlimited time. Surely that's not the same on the actual app. Nemory needs to remove it ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 06:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    I thought it was well known that SnapChat stores photos for some indeterminate amount of time... wasn't there an app that came out in the early days of snapchat that allowed you to access those?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 07:09 PM
    How about we cut to the chase... where the pics at??

Posted via My Beast Q10
    I'm leaving a comment here just in case some good guy Greg or a captain shows up and put a link.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 09:35 AM
    BBC News - Nude 'Snapchat images' put online by hackers

Does anybody know if a BlackBerry App was one of the third party apps mentioned?

Posted via CB10
    SNAP CHAT SECURITY WAS NOT BREACHED third party apps had the breach i think one that was mentioned was snap save
    10-11-14 09:40 AM
    Snap2chat offers ability to view snaps for unlimited time. Surely that's not the same on the actual app. Nemory needs to remove it ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    It actually is something like this feature
    Also, you can save your cache to your sd card, which saves all photos to your internal storage/sd card. Don?t think Nem will update though, as the app is practically 'dead'

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 09:49 AM
    Snapsaved.com sounds like a honeypot site used to facilitate the theft. People should of stuck to the original app.

This whole thing will hurt independent devs the most because people will be less likely to trust a third party app
    10-11-14 10:18 AM
    Snapsaved.com sounds like a honeypot site used to facilitate the theft. People should of stuck to the original app.

This whole thing will hurt independent devs the most because people will be less likely to trust a third party app
    Snapchat is after third party apps. They don't want any, that's why snap2chat is done. They're going after all of them and don't want anyone using their API.
    10-11-14 12:07 PM
    Doesn't anybody here seem to think that SnapChat is partly to blame... I mean here is this app that is 50% teenagers, and is selling this idea rooted in a promise of false sense of digital security that if you share your naked pictures they will be destroyed after sometime..

This kina app IMO would be any internet savvy pedophile's dream who now just has to get these under aged girls/boys to add them on snapchat where Snapchat has done the rest of the bargaining for him/her..

Truth be told.. SnapChat is an adult rated app and should only be allowed to be used by adults...

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 06:18 PM
    Doesn't anybody here seem to think that SnapChat is partly to blame... I mean here is this app that is 50% teenagers, and is selling this idea rooted in a promise of false sense of digital security that if you share your naked pictures they will be destroyed after sometime..

This kina app IMO would be any internet savvy pedophile's dream who now just has to get these under aged girls/boys to add them on snapchat where Snapchat has done the rest of the bargaining for him/her..

Truth be told.. SnapChat is an adult rated app and should only be allowed to be used by adults...

Posted via CB10
    Certainly much the blame lies with SnapChat. But when it first came out many security professionals raised the alarm, and were mostly ignored.

When CB users were lobbying for BlackBerry to accept Snap2chat in BlackBerry World I raised the security issue. I was told that "no one really uses it for sexting" and "it is just a fun thing to do". While it may be a fun thing to do, it was obviously being used for sexting, and by under age children.

But people will ignore security in preference to fun until it effects them personally. SnapChat is no different than snake oil sales men of days gone by, and they will be successful until a large enough segment of the population is either smart enough to recognize what they are selling is impossible, or are willing to trust those with expertise. I am not hopeful of either of those situations coming to pass.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 06:31 PM
    It doesn't matter what Snapchat app you've used. If you sent it to anyone using that breached service, your photos are in over people's hands.
    (Analogy: You securely send something in the mail, your end is secure but if someone breaks into the reciever's mailbox, doesn't matter how secure your end is)
    I mean no one expects Snapchat to be secure.
    10-12-14 07:23 PM
    BlackBerry just needs to push to make BBM the secure sexting and private photo sharing platform of choice. Add in this temporary share feature in BBM run some funny ads and push subscriber growth. Cash in on others issues. This is a quality BlackBerry has never had!

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    10-13-14 09:57 AM
    BlackBerry just needs to push to make BBM the secure sexting and private photo sharing platform of choice. Add in this temporary share feature in BBM run some funny ads and push subscriber growth. Cash in on others issues. This is a quality BlackBerry has never had!

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    You've completely missed the point. You can't make a secure sexting or file sharing application. Once you send everything a person needs to view a file, they have everything they need to copy that file. Just look at how successful DVD copy protection has been.

If you are going to argue that you need something to be able to share files with people you trust to not make it public, there are already many solutions for that. For some BBM is already adequate.

SnapChat sold a service that they couldn't deliver to a bunch of gullible people.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 10:37 AM
36 12