I even donated to Snap when it was out, it made dreams come true, give hope to the new runtime. But times move forward, and so should everyone.

No point in continuing something that has lived it's time. I don't hear anyone crying over apk2bar after we got apk support, and I think James did what was needed to finally fix the essentials of Snap to keep it a mature and stable app for a long time.
    And he's not done with development.
    07-13-15 06:49 AM
    Why would that be an advantage?

Play Store saves downloaded apk files to the downloads folder, even the ones that you have purchased.
    Oh, wow. I never knew that. I just kind of assumed Google Play wouldn't save the apk for you.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 07:00 AM
    What SNAP needed, was not to be developed natively, it was NEVER going to be approved for use in BBW. And to sideload a BAR file was an extra step that took time - and for some newbies a little skill.

Cobalt's APKs are a much simpler solution for those of us with a BB10 device. But it isn't really a selling point for future devices.
    07-13-15 08:03 AM
    I've been using snap for some time now, but reading this thread, I reinstalled Cobalt's Google apps.

So yes, it has some pro's, like the capability to remove apps.

Now snap still looks to me more energy efficient, which is fundamental on a smartphone. .22% is not battery drain, but it's 22 times .01% !

Posted via CB10
    jabia likes this.
    07-14-15 01:37 AM
    I would say the pro's are the fully supported purchasing and In-app Billing, the ability to browse and buy music and the update notifications in the hub.
    07-14-15 02:50 AM
    The reason why I like Snap is that when it is closed, it won't run in the background.

Although I have never tried Cobalt's method, I wonder if Cobalt's play store files remain closed when not in use? And can other android apps invoke them to run in the background?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339 CB10
    07-14-15 10:16 AM
    The reason why I like Snap is that when it is closed, it won't run in the background.

Although I have never tried Cobalt's method, I wonder if Cobalt's play store files remain closed when not in use? And can other android apps invoke them to run in the background?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339 CB10
    It definitely happens. It constantly pops open by itself when an app needs an update despite having updates turned off. It drains the battery because it's never truly closed. If you really need Android apps then go for it. I still think Snap is better. It's native and doesn't run without you knowing. Yeah it's missing purchases but you can still buy apps from the website then download them from Snap. Hell, maybe when V3 officially releases it'll have in-app purchases.
    SmileDahling and jabia like this.
    07-14-15 12:29 PM
    It definitely happens. It constantly pops open by itself when an app needs an update despite having updates turned off. It drains the battery because it's never truly closed. If you really need Android apps then go for it. I still think Snap is better. It's native and doesn't run without you knowing. Yeah it's missing purchases but you can still buy apps from the website then download them from Snap. Hell, maybe when V3 officially releases it'll have in-app purchases.
    I have automatic updates turned off and I don't think I've ever seen it pop open by itself

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 12:35 PM
    Yep, turn off automatic updates and it never pops up. Then turn off 'run in Background when minimized' and it definitely uses no battery.
    dslocumb and pvphooman like this.
    07-14-15 01:11 PM
    Downloaded SNAP bar, sideloaded with Sachesi.....done.

The last time I looked at Cobalt's option (albeit briefly) it seemed more complicated. Was that a false assumption?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2239
    07-14-15 02:42 PM

The last time I looked at Cobalt's option (albeit briefly) it seemed more complicated. Was that a false assumption?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2239
    Very false, you don't need a computer just load three things that's it 2 mins and just your device

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 03:10 PM
    Got Snap n Cobalt's Google play n hardly ever use snap it was a nice effort by the dev tho.....

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 03:17 PM

Neither one is particularly difficult to install, both require about 5 minutes worth of instruction-reading. Cobalt's Play Store requires installing 3 files instead of 1, but because they're apk instead of bar files it's less technically complex to perform; no computer or Sachesi required.
    07-14-15 04:00 PM
    I prefer Snap. I installed Cobalt's Google Play Store a couple of times, but always wound up deleting it and going back to Snap. I just don't need the full store, and found that while you CAN buy music using the full store, getting purchased music onto the phone after purchase was not straight forward and I got tired of playing around with it. I also kept trying to turn stuff off to stop the Play Store from running as a background process, but it seemed to pop up in Task Manager all the time even after turning off updates.
    To each his own - but I personally just want lightweight access to free apps in Google's store for the very small handful of Android apps I use. Snap is perfect.
    jabia and Foreverup like this.
    07-14-15 04:47 PM
    Like jhimmel I prefer snap. Process is really simple to add to the phone and i don't want music or movies, just certain apps for work and a couple games if I want.

It jmuir can figure out play services it would be perfect.

But am glad cobalt's solution is there for people.
    07-14-15 06:16 PM
40 12