Hi all,

I was wondering if any of the BlackBerry faithful ever have any issues with sending items such as videos via MMS on their BlackBerry devices?

Once in a while when a friend sends a video to me or I send one to someone else, the quality is just downright awful. I can barely make out the video in some cases.

I don't use WhatsApp, BBM doesn't allow videos of any decent length so the only other option I have is email which very close friends find strange.

I don't know if this is a BlackBerry issue or a network issue? I don't recall seeing too many complaints about it on CB so I dunno?

Thx

Posted via CB10
    01-20-18 03:38 AM
    The quality of the videos you receive would be a problem from the person making and sending you the video. I don't think your device is causing that problem.
    01-20-18 04:54 AM
    The quality of the videos you receive would be a problem from the person making and sending you the video. I don't think your device is causing that problem.

When I view the video on my device in the video/camera app, the quality is good. It's when I watch videos on MMS or when they are sent to me etc that the quality is no good.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-18 02:19 PM
    When I view the video on my device in the video/camera app, the quality is good. It's when I watch videos on MMS or when they are sent to me etc that the quality is no good.

Posted via CB10
    My guess is that it's being compressed in a lossy manner by the sending app. Have someone you trust send you a high quality video and see how that works.

Apple has a very compressed video format that it uses that saves storage but is of horrible quality. It's intended for social networks.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-20-18 02:25 PM
    I just ran into a situation yesterday. I can normally send and receive high resolution pictures, and as many as I want at a time via my Verizon Messages app. No problem to or from Iphones. My wife has an iPhone 8plus. I made a short (30 seconds) video which I sent to her in high quality mode. She couldn't open it on her phone. Had to find an app to do it. I have a Verizon Priv.
    01-20-18 02:45 PM
    I just ran into a situation yesterday. I can normally send and receive high resolution pictures, and as many as I want at a time via my Verizon Messages app. No problem to or from Iphones. My wife has an iPhone 8plus. I made a short (30 seconds) video which I sent to her in high quality mode. She couldn't open it on her phone. Had to find an app to do it. I have a Verizon Priv.
    Apple's like that annoying kid who only wants to play his games and refuses to compromise with his friends! It works if you like to play his games, but not if you have other ideas.

I like that BlackBerry was never powerful enough never to redefine file formats and media standards. It supports the shared standards, as should Apple.

BerryRipe and G_Unit MVP like this.
    01-20-18 03:14 PM
    Hi all,

I was wondering if any of the BlackBerry faithful ever have any issues with sending items such as videos via MMS on their BlackBerry devices?

Once in a while when a friend sends a video to me or I send one to someone else, the quality is just downright awful. I can barely make out the video in some cases.

I don't use WhatsApp, BBM doesn't allow videos of any decent length so the only other option I have is email which very close friends find strange.

I don't know if this is a BlackBerry issue or a network issue? I don't recall seeing too many complaints about it on CB so I dunno?

Thx

Posted via CB10
    Look for "Longviz" app in BB world . You can record videos up to 2 minutes long at 16mb or less and the you can send it via BBM in good quality. @ a
    ppworld://vendor/95752
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-20-18 04:37 PM
    People still sends MMS? I didn't received one in decades...
    01-20-18 04:41 PM
    People still sends MMS? I didn't received one in decades...
    I send emai (work)l, BBM (famiky), and SMS/MMS (friends).Also Slack and Signal as needed.

01-20-18 04:57 PM
    If I remember correctly, the last MMS I sended was with a Motorola V300. .
    01-20-18 05:02 PM
    If I remember correctly, the last MMS I sended was with a Motorola V300. .
    There are lots of options. I like to keep things simple. I probably use MMS about 10 times a year, not often enough to use anything else.

What do you use?

01-20-18 05:07 PM
    There are lots of options. I like to keep things simple. I probably use MMS about 10 times a year, not often enough to use anything else.

What do you use?

Mostly whatsapp and email.
    01-20-18 05:09 PM
    Mostly whatsapp and email.
    I don't use Facebook products. I prefer signal to WA.

01-20-18 05:11 PM
    Yep, I don't like it either. But the 99% of my contacts use WA. I have no choice. And I don't send sensitive content, just casual pictures or maybe a few PDFs once in a while.

Facebook and Messenger are banned from my devices, that's for sure.
    01-20-18 05:14 PM
    Yep, I don't like it either. But the 99% of my contacts use WA. I have no choice. And I don't send sensitive content, just casual pictures or maybe a few PDFs once in a while.

Facebook and Messenger are banned from my devices, that's for sure.
    Yes. Trying to get people onto a platform is a pain. I simply told my friends and family I wouldn't use FB or WA. That's why I'm using BBM/SMS/MMS!

G_Unit MVP likes this.
    01-20-18 05:23 PM
    I tried that with BBM, it was an unmatched failure LOL
    Last edited by G_Unit MVP; 01-20-18 at 05:39 PM.
    01-20-18 05:29 PM
    I tried that with BBM, it was a unmatched failure LOL
    No. One better. Attempting to convince your family to move from Android/IOS to BB10 at 2013 intro. Look Wife, Z10 or Q10, you pick first. It SHOULD have all the apps you need and use now.
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    01-20-18 05:32 PM
    No. One better. Attempting to convince your family to move from Android/IOS to BB10 at 2013 intro. Look Wife, Z10 or Q10, you pick first. It SHOULD have all the apps you need and use now.
    LOL. I went the opposite route. Gave my wife my iPhone in 2013 when I got the Z10. Then, in 2015 she said she hated the iPhone and wanted my Z10. I told her she wouldn't have a lot of apps, and she said, "Good!" We've both been on Z10s for 3 years now. She doesn't want to even talk about Android or iOS, and has told me that she'll tell me when she wants a new phone.

01-20-18 06:07 PM
    LOL. I went the opposite route. Gave my wife my iPhone in 2013 when I got the Z10. Then, in 2015 she said she hated the iPhone and wanted my Z10. I told her she wouldn't have a lot of apps, and she said, "Good!" We've both been on Z10s for 3 years now. She doesn't want to even talk about Android or iOS, and has told me that she'll tell me when she wants a new phone.

Nope, I got to keep the BBs and she went back to Torch 9810 and later to Nokia Lumia 1520 shortly thereafter. She's been on a cheap Alcatel stock Android but she wants iPhone 7 Plus. Four of five kids use IOS and she wants to BELONG. Happy wife is happy life..
    01-20-18 06:14 PM
    Nope, I got to keep the BBs and she went back to Torch 9810 and later to Nokia Lumia 1520 shortly thereafter. She's been on a cheap Alcatel stock Android but she wants iPhone 7 Plus. Four of five kids use IOS and she wants to BELONG. Happy wife is happy life..
    Yes. My wife is an introvert. She hated being pinged constantly via iMessage and FaceTime. She doesn't understand why anyone would want to put a social messaging app on a phone they have to carry around! LOL

She used FB for a few months on her PC to find her old friends, but now connects with them individually through Skype and email.

She likes how the Z10 insulates her from the noise, and she loves having a carefully curated list of people who use BBM to stay in touch. I've suggested that she would be happier with a modern phone, and she grasps her Z10 in both hands and tells me I can't take her phone away!

G_Unit MVP likes this.
    01-20-18 06:34 PM
    Hi all,

Thx

Posted via CB10
    It's a network issue. The amount of info that can be sent in a MMS is very small, so quality is destroyed when it is compressed. People with iPhones don't have this issue when sending videos to other iPhones because iMessages don't carry the same size restriction. We are punished for BlackBerry not forcing a proprietary messaging app on us.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-18 10:10 PM
    It's a network issue. The amount of info that can be sent in a MMS is very small, so quality is destroyed when it is compressed. People with iPhones don't have this issue when sending videos to other iPhones because iMessages don't carry the same size restriction. We are punished for BlackBerry not forcing a proprietary messaging app on us.

Posted via CB10
    We have a proprietary messaging app that nobody uses called BBM. It was even licensed out to go cross platform and nobody uses it here.
    01-21-18 07:45 AM
    We have a proprietary messaging app that nobody uses called BBM. It was even licensed out to go cross platform and nobody uses it here.
    I said FORCED upon us. I am aware of BBM, but that is in addition to how we receive SMS/MMS. The messaging app and iMessage app are one and the same on the iPhone. They can't choose not to use it.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 08:05 AM
    I said FORCED upon us. I am aware of BBM, but that is in addition to how we receive SMS/MMS. The messaging app and iMessage app are one and the same on the iPhone. They can't choose not to use it.

Posted via CB10
    So BB should have forced us to use BBM with SMS/MMS?
    01-21-18 09:39 AM
    So BB should have forced us to use BBM with SMS/MMS?
    Haha. No, I was being facetious. No one wants to be forced into anything. It's just that this particular case has made it so that the lack of choice has benefited iPhone users. I'll take lower image quality and universal standards over forced proprietary options any day.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 10:03 AM