Hello,

I've been running into a strange occurrence lately with my brother and his iPhone. His sms messages to my Passport SE sometimes come into my email inbox as opposed through the Hub SMS folder.

This only appears to happen when he first arrives at home and is on WiFi. We live together but it never seems to happen other times to my knowledge.

I don't have this happen with anybody else and when the messages do arrive in the email folder, it's not from his email account but from (his phone @ Telus.com)

Any thoughts? More annoying and strange than a big problem

Posted via CB10
    01-15-21 01:35 AM
    Sounds like flight mode to me, and carrier setup.
    01-15-21 03:19 AM
    There is an ability to send email to sms, and to sms to email, etc... Seems to me it has something to do with that.

http://205.206.163.38/en_CA/QC/produ...Messaging.html
    01-15-21 09:38 PM
    Hello,

I've been running into a strange occurrence lately with my brother and his iPhone. His sms messages to my Passport SE sometimes come into my email inbox as opposed through the Hub SMS folder.

This only appears to happen when he first arrives at home and is on WiFi. We live together but it never seems to happen other times to my knowledge.

I don't have this happen with anybody else and when the messages do arrive in the email folder, it's not from his email account but from (his phone @ Telus.com)

Any thoughts? More annoying and strange than a big problem

Posted via CB10
    Could be that a queue of messages are ready to sync.

When your brothers phone connects to your home wifi.
    His phones maibox,
    and the port of that mailbox,
    would be within the right layers of the OSI model for crossing to happen like you described.

Prioritization for items in the queue might have something todo with why you see them, a priority queue is a common structure in computer science that networks are known to use with djkistras algoritm for finding a path, those would probably do exactly what you descibed but implemented in some way for the software interface to the endpoints.

I would check your firewall.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 01-18-21 at 07:23 AM.
    01-17-21 05:03 AM
    There is at least one instance of a problem logged on a Telus forum (I found it via google) that sounds somewhat similar to the one mentioned by the OP, and it seems to me to come down to either the user or the phone selecting the "[email protected]" as the contact field details for the messages to be sent to (as opposed to the email address or the telephone number, other availabile contact field details in the same contact list for the same contact). Have you and the phone user checked to see if there are any "[email protected]" details in your contacts that you didn't know about? Have you and the user ever previously erroneous sent emails to SMS, or SMS to emails, using Telus' SMS/email gateway. I know my kids used to periodically do that, not realizing what they were doing.

If no, it would make sense to me that something is messed up and then as soon as the phone gets onto wifi, boom the emails successful get sent. However, that to me means there would be some sort of option about "send as email if can't send as SMS", etc... in the phone and I am not aware of any such option.

Maybe there is a third party "SMS forward to email" app installed that is miss-behaving? Maybe that app is setup to only send via wifi and not cellular data? If so however, I'd think the phone user would have been able to notice already by now.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-17-21 09:28 AM
    Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions and help. I'll see if I can nail down the issue and will report back.

Thanks again

Posted via CB10
    01-17-21 12:39 PM