Why can't BBM and SMS be seamlessly integrated together like imessage or Google hangouts? I understand that BBM is a very popular messaging app and that it requires a pin rather than a phone number but is there anyway that BlackBerry would be able to bring them together somehow? What's everyone's thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 09:01 AM
    10-28-14 09:06 AM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this happened on OS 7, where it allowed you to text your contacts through BBM.

*Further Research*: Yup, an old CB article (source) talks about this feature.

*More Research*: On the BBM FAQ page (source), it says: "No. This feature is not available through BBM".

I guess this is one of those features that didn't migrate over to BB10.
    10-28-14 09:10 AM
    Webos did message integration the best. Sms, gtalk, etc. All in one chat screen with little icons to let you know which app was being used for that message and an easy way to select which app to use to send a message.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 11:49 AM
    This was one of the best features of WebOS - SMS and all of the various supported chat protocols were integrated, so all conversation history with a single contact showed up on the same screen regardless of protocol used. Would be awesome to see this in BB10 Hub too.
    Dave Bourque and tp2386 like this.
    10-28-14 04:19 PM
    This was one of the best features of WebOS - SMS and all of the various supported chat protocols were integrated, so all conversation history with a single contact showed up on the same screen regardless of protocol used. Would be awesome to see this in BB10 Hub too.
    I totally forgot about that. Between that and the sick multi-tasking, WebOS was so ahead of its time. My favorite OS of all-time.
    10-28-14 04:54 PM
    WebOS and Maemo/Meego did it like that. It was awesome.

I guess the hub is pretty close though.

Via passport
    10-28-14 07:37 PM
    Ahhh...you guys are making me miss my old Palm phone. I was so excited to make the switch from windows mobile to WebOS and then HP pulled the plug. Why would you say WebOS failed considering the benefits it had?

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 04:27 AM
    Why it failed? Ecosystem. Lack of apps, bla blah blah.

That's why BB10 isn't doing great and neither is WindowsPhone, amongst other reasons.

Simply put, people only wanted iOS and Android.

Via passport
    10-29-14 11:46 AM