Will I still be able to view old SMS chats on my device after EOL in January 2022? I understand that I will no longer be able to generate new SMS and emails after BlackBerry ID is eliminated, but does this mean I will be locked out of my own devices such that I can't even view my old messages?

Posted via CB10
    05-15-21 04:16 PM
    Will I still be able to view old SMS chats on my device after EOL in January 2022? I understand that I will no longer be able to generate new SMS and emails after BlackBerry ID is eliminated, but does this mean I will be locked out of my own devices such that I can't even view my old messages?

Posted via CB10
    The issue isn't BBID, but it's the demise of 3G.

You should still be able to look at old texts.
    Last edited by conite; 05-16-21 at 05:13 PM.
    05-15-21 04:17 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. That gives me another question. My Z30 uses 4G/LTE here in Canada. But, I'm guessing it will no longer work because of the BlackBerry ID issue, no?

Posted via CB10
    05-15-21 04:21 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. That gives me another question. My Z30 uses 4G/LTE here in Canada. But, I'm guessing it will no longer work because of the BlackBerry ID issue, no?

Posted via CB10
    Again, nothing to do with BBID. You will need VoLTE for calls.
    05-15-21 06:22 PM
    Again, nothing to do with BBID. You will need VoLTE for calls.
    Just not next year yet.
    05-15-21 06:40 PM
    ...I understand that I will no longer be able to generate new SMS and emails after BlackBerry ID is eliminated....Posted via CB10
    BB-ID thing aside, I don't think there has been much speculation about not being able to use email, provided one is still able to authenticate to the email service of choice.
    05-15-21 07:30 PM
    According to this YouTuber, his understanding after calling BlackBerry was that nothing will work after January 2022.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCNcPyzYENTYGjiVFqtLZRYg

I meant to link the actual video, but look for BlackBerry EOL in 2022.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-21 03:43 PM
    According to this YouTuber, his understanding after calling BlackBerry was that nothing will work after January 2022.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCNcPyzYENTYGjiVFqtLZRYg

Posted via CB10
    We've told you what will work and what won't.

BlackBerry backend services can only affect BBID, BlackBerry Protect, BlackBerry World, and BBM.

In turn (if BBID is actually shutdown), you won't be able to backup or restore using Link, or setup a device after a wipe or autoloader.

Best to clear your device of its BBID before the end of the year to avoid not being able to wipe your device ever again.

The shutdown of 3G will be far more impactful on BB10.
    Last edited by conite; 05-16-21 at 05:26 PM.
    dilijasi likes this.
    05-16-21 03:46 PM
    According to this YouTuber,
    Here’s a bit of life advice: stop listening to anything anybody has to say on YouTube, regardless of what the topic is. You’ll get misinformation, almost every time.
    05-16-21 04:24 PM
    If your SMS messages are important to you.... back them up in an open format and restore them to a modern device. In the end we really don't know what will happen, but no point getting caught unaware.

My hope is BlackBerry makes it clear, and maybe end puts off the shutdown of the various servers.... at least another year or so. Let the 3G shutdown do most of their job for them. But it's best to be ready....
    05-17-21 07:34 AM
    If your SMS messages are important to you.... back them up in an open format and restore them to a modern device. In the end we really don't know what will happen, but no point getting caught unaware.

My hope is BlackBerry makes it clear, and maybe end puts off the shutdown of the various servers.... at least another year or so. Let the 3G shutdown do most of their job for them. But it's best to be ready....
    Thanks. If I could save them to a format that is easily viewable on a Windows 10 PC, I'd be happy with that. Can anyone recommend a good app for that?

Posted via CB10
    05-17-21 07:58 AM
    Thanks. If I could save them to a format that is easily viewable on a Windows 10 PC, I'd be happy with that. Can anyone recommend a good app for that?

Posted via CB10
    I believe Ultimate Backup will save SMS/MMS in several open formats - xml, cvs (for Excel) and html. I used SMS Backup a lot back in the day, saving between OS updates and reloads which saved in a format readable on a PC, including saving images from MMS messages.
    05-17-21 08:31 AM
    I believe Ultimate Backup will save SMS/MMS in several open formats - xml, cvs (for Excel) and html. I used SMS Backup a lot back in the day, saving between OS updates and reloads which saved in a format readable on a PC, including saving images from MMS messages.
    Right on. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-21 08:42 AM
    Here’s a bit of life advice: stop listening to anything anybody has to say on YouTube, regardless of what the topic is. You’ll get misinformation, almost every time.
    Life advice No. 2: Guys calling themselves Namealicious are most likely to be certifiable
    05-22-21 11:38 AM