So microsoft is retrenching some of the windows mobile team and the future looks bleak, in fact they (microsoft) appeared at apples most recent iphone ipad launch to show how they are so very apple friendly.

Microsoft on Windows Phone 'We've massively retrenched' but still focusing on core flagships for fans | Windows Central

Apple and ios maintains their healthy sales and increased interest in their iphone 6s and 6s+

Android apps are increasingly more dependent on google play services stunting the growth of google less android fork variations like amazon phones (fire phone is dead btw) and cyanogen.

And now blackberry looks like they will be going google friendly android.

Tizen, jolla sailfish and firefox OS are not breaking any grounds.

All of this seem to point that we're looking at a duopoly with no one ever being able to catch up in the foreseeable future.

Here's the thing iOS is not for me and neither is google anything. So what options do people like me have?

And yes I do want (some) key apps like whatsapp, Uber and navigation for example.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 02:49 PM
    Good question.
    09-14-15 02:56 PM
    I think windows phones will survive. I'm very interested in seeing the devices this October.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    kbz1960 and jabia like this.
    09-14-15 03:04 PM
    I just upgraded to Windows 10, but I'm interested in seeing the mobile version.. if BlackBerry goes the android path... who knows, it may be a possibility

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 03:14 PM
    I think windows phones will survive. I'm very interested in seeing the devices this October.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Care to expand on that? I'd be interested in your thoughts. I want a well supported phone that is NOT ios or android.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 03:14 PM
    The only issue I'm having with win phone 10 is the same one on bb10. Apps!
    09-14-15 03:26 PM
    I also believe Windows Phone will survive. Microsoft has deep pockets, and it knows it needs a mobile presence. It has expanded its software footprint on Android and iOS, but I do believe that it will continue with hardware.

So... for someone like me who likes the 4 major OSes, I'd say if ecosystem is not that big of an issue, WP can certainly fit the bill. If WP10 lives up to its promise (an "if" for me), MSFT should be fine.

Obviously, iOS is a wall-to-wall solution, and Android is the most customizable, IMHO.
    09-14-15 03:35 PM
    For me there is only room for two ecosystems. The market has spoken.

Android is for techies, tinkerers, customizers, and for people who need devices at all price points. My analogy is Android is like a toaster with 12 settings.

Apple is for the simple user who just wants something easy that works. It may not do it all, but what it does do, it does pretty well. This is the toaster with one setting.

Very much like the PC versus Mac.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-14-15 03:38 PM
    I also believe Windows Phone will survive. Microsoft has deep pockets, and it knows it needs a mobile presence. It has expanded its software footprint on Android and iOS, but I do believe that it will continue with hardware.

So... for someone like me who likes the 4 major OSes, I'd say if ecosystem is not that big of an issue, WP can certainly fit the bill. If WP10 lives up to its promise (an "if" for me), MSFT should be fine.

Obviously, iOS is a wall-to-wall solution, and Android is the most customizable, IMHO.
    http://m.windowscentral.com/editors-...nity-imploding

The community doesn't seem to agree with you. Even as dire as things are at BlackBerry land here, I don't think Bla1ze will say that we're "imploding"

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 03:39 PM
    So you want to use apps out there like WhatsApp, Uber, and Waze but you aren't willing to use the most popular app platform nor the second most popular? To me, that's like wanting to drive a car but you don't like gasoline nor diesel. I guess you can consider electric but even that is going to require some compromises.

The OS is the platform that these developers do their things on so you can't dismiss them on a whim if you want to access these social networks. Uber, for example, is a ride-sharing network, not a service provider.
    RH1Pearl likes this.
    09-14-15 03:52 PM
    From the Editor's Desk: Is the Windows Phone community imploding? | Windows Central

The community doesn't seem to agree with you. Even as dire as things are at BlackBerry land here, I don't think Bla1ze will say that we're "imploding"

Posted via CB10
    I don't see how the community and I are disagreeing. The WP crowd (I count myself as an honorary member) is a rowdy lot, but I believe such a lack of complacency is a good thing.

And I believe MSFT's built-in ecosystem is what may help on its mobile forays.

Bla1ze might not say it, but it is dire in BB Land. More of a resignation has set in, I think. We've gone from "Android is a cesspool" to "it can't be that bad if BBRY does it."
    09-14-15 03:53 PM
    So you want to use apps out there like WhatsApp, Uber, and Waze but you aren't willing to use the most popular app platform nor the second most popular? To me, that's like wanting to drive a car but you don't like gasoline nor diesel. I guess you can consider electric but even that is going to require some compromises.

The OS is the platform that these developers do their things on so you can't dismiss them on a whim if you want to access these social networks. Uber, for example, is a ride-sharing network, not a service provider.
    Harsh, but true IMHO. If one wants to use an OS with a smaller user footprint, one must be prepared to find workarounds.
    09-14-15 03:54 PM
    I don't see how the community and I are disagreeing. The WP crowd (I count myself as an honorary member) is a rowdy lot, but I believe such a lack of complacency is a good thing.

And I believe MSFT's built-in ecosystem is what may help on its mobile forays.

Bla1ze might not say it, but it is dire in BB Land. More of a resignation has set in, I think. We've gone from "Android is a cesspool" to "it can't be that bad if BBRY does it."
    I get your point but I don't think everyone here agrees with "it can't be that bad if bbry does it" statement.

I'm cautiously hoping for a secure and private for consumer blackberry android but I know google won't allow it.

Push comes to shove at least Tim cook said this last year:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-DGB-37722

Now if only iOS wasn't such a crap OS to use (my opinion) I wouldn't have started this thread.

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-14-15 04:02 PM
    I get your point but I don't think everyone here agrees with "it can't be that bad if bbry does it" statement.

I'm cautiously hoping for a secure and private for consumer blackberry android but I know google won't allow it.

Now if only iOS wasn't such a crap OS to use (my opinion) I wouldn't have started this thread.

Posted via CB10
    I agree: not everyone is willing to go with Google Play, and that's understandable.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    09-14-15 04:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you on this. Can't stand Google and Apple. Win10 will probably be my last ditch option if BB10 isn't around anymore. But I don't agree with all the doom and gloom on this and other threads that bb10 is done.
    Everything that's been asked for since release has been added for the most part. We got a lot of fixes still coming and for some reason BlackBerry releasing fixes means it's over. You have to fix what you added before you add more, that's just good development. We know for sure 10.3.3 will be coming. Nobody knows what's going to happen after the slider, but everyone sure likes to think they do and it's all doom. So many depressing people on these forums.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-14-15 04:17 PM

I am wiling to compromise. I am already compromising because I'm using BlackBerry 10, but the benefits outweigh the take aways to me so I'm happy, but alas looking at how things are, there's not much to look forward to for bb10.

Learning to sideload snap, patch and etc took effort for everyone in this community I'm sure.

So I'm open to suggestions other than ios or android. Any idea? Or is the compromise is me only having a choice of those 2 OSes?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 04:27 PM
    I'm with you on this. Can't stand Google and Apple. Win10 will probably be my last ditch option if BB10 isn't around anymore. But I don't agree with all the doom and gloom on this and other threads that bb10 is done.
    Everything that's been asked for since release has been added for the most part. We got a lot of fixes still coming and for some reason BlackBerry releasing fixes means it's over. You have to fix what you added before you add more, that's just good development. We know for sure 10.3.3 will be coming. Nobody knows what's going to happen after the slider, but everyone sure likes to think they do and it's all doom. So many depressing people on these forums.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    Sorry to add to the gloom. A case of some anxiety probably. A month more and things will come to light I hope. I guess I'm a little annoyed that things are not great for microsoft on the mobile department as well.

"The market has spoken and the bullies have won" is not something I want realised, I'm the typical underdog rooter.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 04:33 PM
    If you are of the unyielding mindset that iOS is crap and Google is out exploit you via your data then I agree that your participation in the mobile ecosystems going forward will be difficult. However, if you can consider the possibility that not everyone who uses iOS is a simpleton and perhaps nobody really actually cares that much what apps I use or what I search for or where I buy my clothes the maybe you might just go ahead and adopt one of these as your mobile OS.

Or, just wait until something more significant to worry about comes along and Google vs. Apple won't be that big of a deal. If you wish to continue the battle for a few more years then move to Microsoft.
    09-14-15 05:44 PM
    09-14-15 07:31 PM
    Deleted
    Last edited by conite; 09-14-15 at 07:58 PM.
    09-14-15 07:36 PM
    Nokia is coming back too... with Android phones...

https://recombu.com/mobile/article/n...e-release-date
    09-14-15 07:58 PM
    Here's the thing iOS is not for me and neither is google anything. So what options do people like me have?
    yea I know what you mean I'm in the same boat...........I do love bb10 I'm not a big app user so I can get by fingers crossed bb10 will still be around for a long time
    09-15-15 12:44 AM
    Blackberry can't even support their own app. This passport will die once Samsung releases physical keyboard phone almost similar to BlackBerry. They have started on edge, will test on slider, and the rest is history.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 02:25 AM
    Windows 10 is on a lot of computers. That gives developers a good reason to make x platform apps now that they all use same language.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 04:41 AM
    So microsoft is retrenching some of the windows mobile team and the future looks bleak, in fact they (microsoft) appeared at apples most recent iphone ipad launch to show how they are so very apple friendly.

Microsoft on Windows Phone 'We've massively retrenched' but still focusing on core flagships for fans | Windows Central

Apple and ios maintains their healthy sales and increased interest in their iphone 6s and 6s+

Android apps are increasingly more dependent on google play services stunting the growth of google less android fork variations like amazon phones (fire phone is dead btw) and cyanogen.

And now blackberry looks like they will be going google friendly android.

Tizen, jolla sailfish and firefox OS are not breaking any grounds.

All of this seem to point that we're looking at a duopoly with no one ever being able to catch up in the foreseeable future.

And yes I do want (some) key apps like whatsapp, Uber and navigation for example.

Posted via CB10
    Two soup cans and a string.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    09-15-15 04:45 AM
35 12