I know I know bb10 is dying. But I got my q5 for 200 bucks and won't be replacing it till the new android physical keyboards are similar cheap.

ANYWAY, I wanted to know if any cheap smart bands work with bb10. I'm running 10.3.2.

There's some cheapies on aliexpress that have oxygen, bloodpressure and heart rate (which is pretty cool). I really don't even need charts, or a fitness app, I just wanna occasionally check my stats, real time, when I work out, get an idea of max and so on.

But I figure it would be a cool bonus to have text and email show up on the watch. I heard maybe xiaomi mi band 1s can be made to work. But it looks pretty naff design, visually. Prefer Microsoft bandy looking ones.

I could give a rats about actual smart watches. Just want the health stat display, and if I can, text and call notifications. And if I can't get notifications, screw it, heart rate, BP and oxygen real time is worth 15 bucks without it :P

So any cheapy, cool looking, heart monitoring smart bands work with text notifications for bb10, or can be made to? Preferably not the 1s? I guess the mi band 2 might be alright? Any from aliexpress?

Any experiences?
    03-27-17 02:47 AM
    BTW I just discovered Cobalts stash of tools. If no one has any suggestions I'll try these on either something cheap I like or a mi band 2.

But I'd love to hear some success stories
    03-27-17 07:20 AM
    notifications work with mi band 2

BUT the mi fit app should be running at that point - making it useless. I don't use it anyway.
    03-28-17 04:03 AM
    So the mi fit app doesn't work. Have you tried cobalts software suite on any of the others?

I've heard some have had success getting the "notifications" one to work, and that can synch with similarly "modded" google fit, which is a decent tracking app.

I figured out a work around or two - for calender notifications - outlook in android. It syncs well with BB, if you include it in the hub, making an email link between BB and Android.

And for texts -

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=NZ

This with a dedicated email app in android, should be able to convey all your texts to android.

So if notifications work, with a little screwing around, they could be made quite workable I think. In theory.

But the important thing with the band is the heart rate, distance/steps, all that. Ie fitness monitoring. Or at least for me.

I'll get a mi band 2, fully screw with it and cobalts suite, and some work arounds, perhaps get another really cheap band, and report back with how I go.

In the meantime, if anyone else has had success getting fitness data tracked, let us know
    03-28-17 10:08 AM
    The gear fit (first version) is what I use. It tracks it on the device for 7 days and sometimes it will sync. It's temperamental. It also shows android and phone notifications.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-17 10:27 AM
    So it shows calls, and android app notifications, but not texts?

And tracks heart rate, but syncs only sometimes?

Does it show caller ID, or email or text information?

That comes pretty cheap these days. It might be another options.
    03-28-17 10:35 AM
    Domas, does the mi band show caller ID, or texts? Or just that someone is calling, or an app is notifying?

Boy this is going to be a tricky choice!
    03-28-17 10:36 AM
    BTW these are the two apps I would try to whitelist and mod, for the mi band 2....

They both have continuous heart monitoring, custom notifications, text display for notifications. In particular "tools & mi band" looks much better than the original app anyway.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...andtools&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.mc.miband1
    03-28-17 07:13 PM
    My Pebbles work perfectly with my Classic and Passport.

BB10 will outlast Android! Just you wait! Stage 1: denial
    03-29-17 11:11 AM
    Drael646464,

did not try texting. But it shows caller ID. The APP MUST BE RUNNING TO DO SO. So I have tested caller id, it worked, and disabled it. there is no way i am havin app running 24/7.

It monitors the heart rate and sleep stages. What I do is I sync the phone every morning to see how my sleep was last night.
    By sync I mean i start the app and wait for it to sync; look at the data, then close the app and disable bluetooth.

I am using PS-Patcher patched Mi Fit app. Cobalt tools installed on phone.

I assume that every other app can post notifications, provided it is setup so in Mi Fit app. but I don't use this feature.
    03-31-17 03:55 AM
    Thanks that's really helpful.

I have my mi band 2 on the way, I'm going to try all the apps. "tools and mi band" or whatever its called apparently can let you text preview emails/texts, so I'll give that a go for 4 bucks. But email/text notifications, heart rate, caller id, really if some of it works I'll be happy. Heart mainly, and that works, so great

I want to track my heartrate during walks/work outs. And km/steps covered. I'll be using cobalt too.

I'll let everyone here know how it goes.

(BTW, xiaomi have a crap tonne of smart products. They have a smart scale that tells you body fat percentage. A flower pot, that presumably reminds you to water. And god knows what else. The scale also feeds into mi fit, which can sync with google fit - which syncs with other apps, like runtastic). I feel like a smart scale is just kind of tech toy, and so probably is the watch, but it'll be fun and maybe even helpful.

Cheaper than a fitbit, Microsoft band etc.

Xiaomi kind of rocks. No marketing, bleeding edge price point competition, premium style products. I don't expect much from the band though. But props to china.
    03-31-17 08:54 AM
    please post back if you find an app that sends notifications with application closed.

and yes, kudos to xiaomi, eventually something worth living (and cheap and mainstream) from that part of the world

I am not sure though if you can constantly log your heart rate while working out.
    04-03-17 02:44 AM
    In some of the third party apps you can at least get a sort of ongoing over the day reading. We'll see whats possible.

I mainly want to know how close to max I am getting, which is a one off reading, and doesn't even need syncing.

I'll definitely let you know what I find
    04-03-17 02:49 AM
    Okay here's my experience after just one day with the Mi Band 2.

IF you update the firmware via an android phone, it will pair via mi fit on the BB10 phone (cobalt patched version of the mi fit app)

This app will ONLY give call notifications if its open. It doesn't seem to give app or SMS notifications at all (has some kind of problem with app notifications)

It does sync heart rate tests, and steps/km's walked. Both useful functions and more convenient than runtastic, although you could also use runtastic for a similar function. The heart rate check isn't continuous.

Only third party apps I've tried so far are mi band control and notify and fitness, neither of which seemed to be able to pair - so far.

So you do get some function with this, but not as much as you could. I feel like it'd be real nice to get some of the third party apps working like tools & mi band, or notify and fitness as they seem to have more functionality.

Its a nice band, and I'll be doing spot heart rate check during exercise with it.
    04-09-17 10:50 PM
    well, it is what it is.

notify and fitness i am still about to try. but i am not sure if i even need the extra functionality.
    04-10-17 04:01 AM
    With tools and mi band, you can, under android get content containing notifications. But given I haven't found anything so far to get any for of notification other than calls working, it probably won't work. It'd be handy to set up my outlook to notify, so I can get appointments and important emails. But meh..

Notify and fitness has a continuous heart rate test. That could be useful for a strength workout, or higher intensity cardio. But to be fair, neither of us are likely to be sports scientists, and I am not sure what can even be done with that data.

A good sense of what you resting is, or mid-work out, and counting your steps - that's pretty handy, and useful, at an everyday level. It also might be interesting to use both GPS via runtastic, and steps to compare distance, see what they each say.

Wonder what sleep monitoring is like and is it very helpful.
    04-10-17 05:16 AM
    I tired literally every third party app that doesn't cost money, and not one of them, when patched, could connect to the band. I tried "discoverable mode", as well.

Only one I haven't tried is "tools and mi band".

At this point I'm not super fussed, who really needs notifications, the main functionalities are there. But should anyone have a way of getting the others working, I wouldn't mind knowing because it'd be a bonus to get something like a continuous heart monitor going.
    04-10-17 09:58 PM
    But patched Mi Fit app is working right?

I have noticed that it does not show map after running session /w band. It is an empty map. Typical when not injecting custom api key when patching.

Trying to patch /w custom api key to see if it helps right now.
    04-16-17 09:12 AM