As the title says overnight BlackBerry went from having the smallest app platform to having the biggest app platform. I think this needs to be advertised more to attract the people who just don't know. And let's face it that's tens of millions.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 03:26 PM
    It's not a solid enough UX for them to advertise I guess.
    More refinement is required before it's ready for prime time.

I don't know which route they'll take, but I believe we'll find out in 10.3 given recent comment that 10.3 is when they'll wow people.
    We might see a certain app store or two approved & pre-loaded, or at least available in BB World. (ex. Amazon Appstore) Maybe BB World will have some sort of portal to access Android apps. Of course there's the oft-discussed topic of Google Play being available, but I'm not holding my breath.

They need to sort out Android apps losing their data / fame progress with certain methods of OS updates. Also, there needs to be built in option to remove the apk if you delete the app.

Without these things, and probably a few more I'm not remembering, it's just not ready to market to the public at large.
    02-11-14 03:40 PM
    As the title says overnight BlackBerry went from having the smallest app platform to having the biggest app platform. I think this needs to be advertised more to attract the people who just don't know. And let's face it that's tens of millions.

Posted via CB10
    Do you mean with the 10.2.1? If so the statement is very inaccurate. Application storefront size is determined by how many applications are officially available in the first party storefront.

If you mean in terms of how fast the storefront has been growing then yes you would be correct.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 03:45 PM
    As I said app platform not app store

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 04:15 PM
    The ability to run APKs wasn't even in the official update announcement. It was announced in the Android micro site of the BlackBerry development blog. The current form isn't intended for end users, it is aimed at Android porters.

This may change with future upgrades, but I personally doubt that BlackBerry will put end users in the position of trying to decide which Android applications are safe. BlackBerry World will continue to be the only supported source of applications for general users.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 06:14 PM
    As I said app platform not app store

Posted via CB10
    The fact you can run apk files directly is not a feature BlackBerry is advertising. App platform to the consumer = app store.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 07:47 PM
    The fact you can run apk files directly is not a feature BlackBerry is advertising. App platform to the consumer = app store.
    'Tis true. And in the old days, Apple had a habit of using this against BlackBerry.

I remember Tim Cook standing on stage and boasting about the App Store numbers and then comparing the number of Apps for the iPhone to the number of Apps on the BlackBerry.

Yeah, he used App World's total to incorrectly position the App World count as "the number of apps that run on a BlackBerry" and yeah, he "forgot" to mention the fact that BlackBerry OS apps happened to live in other places ... but it didn't matter. That's what resonated with consumers.
    02-12-14 08:28 PM
    So what. That was then. That somebody made it sound like something. And we all still talk about it, which shows that we are followers.

Today, a different person can communicate a different message and try to make it be heard as a big thing. This is the job that needs doing.

What counts to me is the construction values, the quality. I don't know how many (what number) of apps shall end up satisfying my appetite, but I do know that the quality of each app is the only criterion I use. I've no time for junk.

Apps today are a huge swamp. Five years from now the field shall have been cleared out.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 09:30 PM