I was able to install skype apk-s from apkmirror (even to patch them according to Cobalt's recipee) but:

Skype starts, logs in, but never shows my skype credit or existing skype contacts, as on the computers where it is installed too. It could be rather a skype problem, not an os10 problem, but perhaps some of you know something about this...

BlackBerry Classic, CB app
    02-06-22 02:19 AM
    Similar for me, contact list is empty.
    02-06-22 05:26 AM
    Similar for me, contact list is empty.
    Thank you! I will try the same skype on a 4.4 android cell phone, and will test what happens there, so I will have an objective comparison...

02-06-22 05:29 AM
    Seems to be down for me too. I used to be able to send messages and make video calls but nothing now.
    One thing I noticed, in the Help section there's a link to check Skype status. It's just a web page, but it can't find it.

However going to same page in BB10 browser has no issue. Also hitting the Help or Known issues page from within Skype still works
    horia_m likes this.
    02-06-22 03:29 PM
    @EFats: thank you!

@all: I read in the meantime that using old skype versions can result in exactly those symptoms: not showing the existing account contacts and the account credit (if there is a credit). https://www.myidealtricks.com/skype-...ot-showing-up/

but, curiously enough, if I use the same version of skype on another android device, it works perfectly...

in my case: using skype 8.15.0.43 or skype lite 1.89.76 on BB10 (Classic), I get the symptoms as described.
    Using skype 8.15.0.44 on Samsung phone (with Android 5.0.1) it works flawless...
    Last edited by horia_m; 02-06-22 at 04:55 PM.
    02-06-22 04:41 PM
    It's interesting. I tried a fresh install of Skype Lite on a BB10 device which didn't have it before.
    Had no problems signing in with my account, my Skype contacts and chats were not carried over but I could go find my contacts and attempt to initiate a chat with them. It clearly can go through Skype's global address list.
    The chat never goes through, but it doesn't throw up any error messages either.
    Have not tried it on Android device yet.
    horia_m likes this.
    02-06-22 07:22 PM
    I tried same version on Android 6 device and it works fine. Clearly something new is blocking it from working for BB10 devices.

Frankly it was surprising to me that things have worked as well as they did given that it was supposed to 'need' Google Play services. I'd been using it for video calls half way around the world with no issues before. It appeared fully functional to me so the borkage now is unlikely to be due to a technical issue, in my opinion. Probably somebody at Microsoft noticed it was happening and decided it was not 'safe' and plugged some loophole.
    horia_m likes this.
    02-06-22 09:18 PM
    @EFats: thank you! Very interesting.
    I add that I tried to make phone calls (to the phone numbers, not to skype accounts) and... the phones rang!
    Curious, because skype does not show my credit (on the bb10 installation).
    To make phone calls, one needs credit, as they are not free.

02-07-22 01:08 AM
    Phone calls work??? Well that is quite interesting.

Posted via CB10
    horia_m likes this.
    02-07-22 11:03 PM
    phone calls work but receiving them doesnt. only making the calls. also looking into skype for myself. i have magicjacks magicapp working for calls but the quality isnt the best sometimes so im trying other alternatives.
    horia_m likes this.
    04-03-22 11:00 AM
    phone calls work but receiving them doesnt. only making the calls. also looking into skype for myself. i have magicjacks magicapp working for calls but the quality isnt the best sometimes so im trying other alternatives.
    Try Telegram.
    horia_m likes this.
    04-03-22 11:37 PM