Personal attacks are nice.

I live in Toronto. We have great 4G service. I really have no complaints about picture quality on Skype.

Does anyone else in Toronto agree with me? Or are my standards are low? I own an ipod...does that still make me a BlackBerry fanboy?

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247/Telus
    We're talking about the application, not Skype's service... I meant you have extremely low standards if you're satisfied with a laggy app that does not function perfectly (freezes and stuff very often), and as the same time it's a home heating solution...

That app has annoyed me so many times; it is utterly terrible. I honestly do not understand how people can be "satisfied" with an app like this. I haven't used it since about Feb (2014) so maybe there's some update that made it amazing I guess? I didn't try it on 10.3

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 12:28 PM
    We're talking about the application, not Skype's service... I meant you have extremely low standards if you're satisfied with a laggy app that does not function perfectly (freezes and stuff very often), and as the same time it's a home heating solution...

That app has annoyed me so many times; it is utterly terrible. I honestly do not understand how people can be "satisfied" with an app like this. I haven't used it since about Feb (2014) so maybe there's some update that made it amazing I guess? I didn't try it on 10.3

Posted via CB10
    I just tried calling myself from my personal Z30 to my work z10 for 2 minutes. 4G on both phones. App was responsive. No lag or freeze. Picture quality was pretty good. I don't use the app often enough, so maybe if I used it daily, I might notice bugs. But I didn't experience any problems you mentioned in your post.

07-29-14 01:23 PM
    So don't video call them. Use BBM voice or messaging. If they want to video chat. Tell them to buy a BlackBerry or buy one for them.

Say you don't want Microserf eavesdropping on your private conversations.

Posted via CB10
    The likelihood of someone running out and installing BBM just to do a voice call with you, when everyone else is using Skype for multi-platform audio and video is pretty small. I do like BBM audio and video, but I can't get people to install it for the everyday uses, much less audio calls when they already have Skype. Their response to my asking them to install something is for them to ask me to install what they are using.

For the record Microsoft doesn't listen in on Skype calls. That's just paranoia.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    07-29-14 03:52 PM
    Skype on BlackBerry 10 is laggy to open! It is usable but sometimes it takes ages to open! After that, it works fine! I stop using it completely...

if I want to video chat I use my computer and use hangout since I find it better , don't want to hold my phone to video chat since they not 10mns convo

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 06:43 AM
    Before this thread gets out of hand....

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don�t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you�re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won�t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    07-31-14 09:28 AM
    Ooops. The bear has woken up.

Just joking of course....

Posted via CB10 | STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return.
    07-31-14 10:28 AM
    I just tried calling myself from my personal Z30 to my work z10 for 2 minutes. 4G on both phones. App was responsive. No lag or freeze. Picture quality was pretty good. I don't use the app often enough, so maybe if I used it daily, I might notice bugs. But I didn't experience any problems you mentioned in your post.

My Z10 always overheats when I Skype and the battery drains unbelievably quick. Maybe if you left it for 20 minutes?

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 11:51 AM
    It works just fine but the performance is crappy, although calls and videocalls are good.

However, I had the chance to try this and multiple android apps on the BlackBerry 10.3 leak and let me assure you that they run as if you were truly using an android phone. Amazing.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 11:58 AM
    OHHHHH nvm my previous post here. I just tried skype and yes it's fast now. Way way better than in 10.2.1. I've been using 10.3 for months yet never gave skype a try because skype in 10.2.1 sucks, it was laggy and like 2 seconds delay when navigating, but now with 10.3 it's actually way better. I tried navigating around the app and it's fast. However haven't tried vid calling yet with 10.3. Vid call with 10.2.1 was ok, it's just that navigating around the app is super slow. I'll post my vid call review with 10.3 soon.

Posted via My Awesome Passport | @angelesrobby
    08-03-14 12:17 PM
    OHHHHH nvm my previous post here. I just tried skype and yes it's fast now. Way way better than in 10.2.1. I've been using 10.3 for months yet never gave skype a try because skype in 10.2.1 sucks, it was laggy and like 2 seconds delay when navigating, but now with 10.3 it's actually way better. I tried navigating around the app and it's fast. However haven't tried vid calling yet with 10.3. Vid call with 10.2.1 was ok, it's just that navigating around the app is super slow. I'll post my vid call review with 10.3 soon.

I'm looking forward to that review. I would be interested to see what the performance difference is between Skype on 10.2.1 & Skype on 10.3.x. I suspect it will be indicative to performance improvements from other Android ports.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 06:16 PM
    I'm looking forward to that review. I would be interested to see what the performance difference is between Skype on 10.2.1 & Skype on 10.3.x. I suspect it will be indicative to performance improvements from other Android ports.

Posted via CB10
    Video is ok, it really depends on signal and data speed. However phone gets to hot, mine went up to 42.7 C while vid call is in progress and after 17 mins of video, battery went down from 95 to 77, that's 18%. Device monitor says skype used 7.5% of batt so probably the display and the wifi ate the other 10.5%. Skype is faster in 10.3.0.700 than in 10.2.1 however once vid call started, skype somehow lags but it is somehow faster than 10.2.1. about .5-1 secs lag compared to the ~2secs lag i experienced with 10.2.1. It's wifi usage is 47mb download then 103 mb upload. CPU usage went up high as ~35% according to device monitor.

08-09-14 01:41 AM

However, I had the chance to try this and multiple android apps on the BlackBerry 10.3 leak and let me assure you that they run as if you were truly using an android phone. Amazing.

Posted via CB10
    I hope Viber is also better on 10.3. Currently I also carry a Nexus 5 for two reasons: 1) unsatisfactory performance of Viber/Skype combo on 10.2.1, 2) my company only offers their email services on Apple and Android devices (BB10 is not supported). If 10.3 takes care of (1), only one thing remains in the way of me using BlackBerry exclusively. Can't wait!

Posted via Z10
    08-09-14 05:05 AM
    It's a tad laggy, but not too much it becomes frustrating to use. I use it mainly for im-ing but do use it for voice calls quite often as well (not video). Haven't noticed any extreme battery drain. Phone dosent get unusually hot. It gets about as hot as it usually does during calls.
    08-09-14 04:35 PM
    It works just fine but the performance is crappy, although calls and videocalls are good.

Posted via CB10
    I absolutely hate it when people say stuff like it works as if you were truly using an Android phone because that is misguiding others to believe it's true when it is definitely not. Just get a Google Nexus 5 and compare an app like Kik to our BlackBerry. You'll see the difference.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 11:08 AM
    I'm just grateful to have Skype on my BlackBerry (finally) even if it is an android port. I can enjoy video calls on the go with family and friends who are at their computers. Messaging is very reliable, too. I never miss any messages, and it runs even when I close the Active Frame. As far as I'm concerned, it does the job.
    12-27-14 11:41 AM
    I use Skype not from BlackBerry World, it's outdated. Latest android skype installed from yandex.store works smoother and donot heats the device like port that exists in bbw.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 02:03 PM
    I use it everyday to skype my sister and it works perfectly fine.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 07:47 AM
    Would really rather Bbm video to go cross platform then I'd ditch skype straight away

Posted via CB10
    vpblaze and anon(4185604) like this.
    12-28-14 07:47 AM
    I use it reguarly with no issues on my zed 10

Posted by my splendid Z10
    12-28-14 01:11 PM
    Half native, half port. Bad hybrid.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    12-28-14 02:06 PM
45 12