Edge isn't exactly a picnic. LOL. Microsoft really lost the ball over the last few years...

Safari and Chrome are now, by far, the leading browsers.
    They USED to let us install Firefox which was 100000x better. Then they made it an "IT-approval required" install. Then it went away altogether and everything's IE11.

I'm not thrilled about Edge, but it will still be one heckuva step up from where we are now!
    12-01-17 04:17 AM
    A 'ghetto fix' for some pages that don't render properly at all is to press 'r' and put your browser into 'reader mode'.

Posted via CB10
    One of my favorite features! Not just to fix rendering issues, but to avoid crappy design and ads on all platforms!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-01-17 05:26 AM
    One of my favorite features! Not just to fix rendering issues, but to avoid crappy design and ads on all platforms!

Exactly! Another neat trick that compliments reader mode; in Bowsie, is 'Night mode' in combination with with 'reader mode'.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-17 06:41 AM
    as an installed base (globally)? or actually used? I suspect mozilla/firefox (and bb10's webkit based browser) for example is more significant than the stats posted above would seem to indicate. If there are a billion phones where chrome is installed by default, and not actually used....do you see the point being made?
    Chrome is the leading browser in usage on the (PC) *desktop* (obviously Safari rules the Mac world), and it has to be installed by the user on virtually every one. Firefox even comes close to beating IE/Edge, but I think that corporate forced use of IE/Edge accounts for a big percentage of its use, meaning those users aren't given an option, and if they were, IE/Edge would have worse numbers. If IE/Edge wasn't pre-installed, it would have single-digit usage share.

Let's not even talk about mobile, where Chrome is the pre-installed browser on 4/5 of all phones sold, and where people are less likely to install something else.

As far as BB10's browser, you're delusional. In its entire lifetime, there were only 10-11M BB10 devices made. Just in the last year, there were 1.2 billion smartphones sold globally, and 1.1 billion the year before, and 1.0 billion the year before that (the last time a BB10 phone was released). Even if every single BB10 device was still in use today, and all using the stock browser, its usage would be completely insignificant - but the fact is that less than 10% of BB10 devices are still in active use. That's why no one but hardcore BB fans bother to test the BB10 browser when building their websites - why bother?
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    12-01-17 10:22 AM
    Chrome is the leading browser in usage on the (PC) *desktop* (obviously Safari rules the Mac world), and it has to be installed by the user on virtually every one. Firefox even comes close to beating IE/Edge, but I think that corporate forced use of IE/Edge accounts for a big percentage of its use, meaning those users aren't given an option, and if they were, IE/Edge would have worse numbers. If IE/Edge wasn't pre-installed, it would have single-digit usage share.

Let's not even talk about mobile, where Chrome is the pre-installed browser on 4/5 of all phones sold, and where people are less likely to install something else.

As far as BB10's browser, you're delusional. In its entire lifetime, there were only 10-11M BB10 devices made. Just in the last year, there were 1.2 billion smartphones sold globally, and 1.1 billion the year before, and 1.0 billion the year before that (the last time a BB10 phone was released). Even if every single BB10 device was still in use today, and all using the stock browser, its usage would be completely insignificant - but the fact is that less than 10% of BB10 devices are still in active use. That's why no one but hardcore BB fans bother to test the BB10 browser when building their websites - why bother?
    Its funny how Mozilla/Firefox is the first browser name that comes out of Googles Chrome team, when they discuss browsers. I think you guys might be off on your estimates and where you are getting your stats from. .....and again BB10 is a variant of WEBKIT (which is also the basis for iphones) so you don't count just bb10 devices. That's why it had adhered to standards so excellently. Browser based applications are growing faster than app based applications according to Google.
    12-01-17 01:34 PM
    Its funny how Mozilla/Firefox is the first browser name that comes out of Googles Chrome team, when they discuss browsers. I think you guys might be off on your estimates and where you are getting your stats from. .....and again BB10 is a variant of WEBKIT (which is also the basis for iphones) so you don't count just bb10 devices. That's why it had adhered to standards so excellently. Browser based applications are growing faster than app based applications according to Google.
    As usual, you are missing the point (maybe deliberately?). Obviously, the point is that BB10's market share is so insignificant that developers are uninterested in testing their site for BB10 browser compatibility.
    12-01-17 01:51 PM
    As usual, you are missing the point (maybe deliberately?). Obviously, the point is that BB10's market share is so insignificant that developers are uninterested in testing their site for BB10 browser compatibility.
    No not missing the point. Most browsing I do is problem free (with the minor annoyance of certificate warnings).
    Show me a huge list, or even some sites that bb10 browser technically chokes on (some kiddie javascript gaming sights maybe?). Not sites that are deliberately designed to reject the bb10 browser header-information - that doesn't count, because that is the site authors deliberately making something not work. bb10 browser Broken-ness is not my experience at the moment for browsing. I use browsing for information mostly, rarely for entertainment - how many adults have that much time for games anyways?
    12-01-17 02:00 PM
    No not missing the point. Most browsing I do is problem free (with the minor annoyance of certificate warnings).
    Show me a huge list, or even some sites that bb10 browser technically chokes on (some kiddie javascript gaming sights maybe?). Not sites that are deliberately designed to reject the bb10 browser header-information - that doesn't count, because that is the site authors deliberately making something not work. bb10 browser Broken-ness is not my experience at the moment for browsing. I use browsing for information mostly, rarely for entertainment - how many adults have that much time for games anyways?
    Unbelievable ... you missed the point again! The issue is not how well the BB10 browser works at the moment.
    12-01-17 02:23 PM
    Its funny how Mozilla/Firefox is the first browser name that comes out of Googles Chrome team, when they discuss browsers. I think you guys might be off on your estimates and where you are getting your stats from.
    So now you disagree on published, scientific reports and trust your gut regarding market share?
    12-01-17 02:29 PM
    Unbelievable ... you missed the point again! The issue is not how well the BB10 browser works at the moment.
    Well I need to ditch my 2 year old car, because I'm pretty sure, but not certain that in 10 years it won't work (lol)
    falbo likes this.
    12-01-17 02:31 PM

I much prefer Firefox to Chrome for personal use. It's great in PC and my Android phone, where I've never even opened chrome.

i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    12-01-17 02:33 PM
    So now you disagree on published, scientific reports and trust your gut regarding market share?
    Well when I hear Chrome people talking Mozilla/Firefox first then I can conclude one of two things: 1) That mozilla/firefox has no share - but is obviously the Gold Standard of Web Browsers, so they pay homage to it, or #2 ) It is still a significant base of use (since it also just finished an apparant major re-write) ie actual referers user-agents( in HTTP Header) are Firefox in the real world of web stats, and not just counting the base of installed browsers, but ones that are gathering dust on the device, from little or no actual use.

Not necessarilly disagreeing with your stats about installed base, but am not sure about the real-world usage stats. Then again are those published sources and what were the measurement tools used to decide those figures. There can be a huge amount of fuzziness in those stats.
    12-01-17 02:37 PM
    Well I need to ditch my 2 year old car, because I'm pretty sure, but not certain that in 10 years it won't work (lol)
    Sigh ... if you think that is a witty reply then I'm done. Goodbye.
    falbo likes this.
    12-01-17 02:40 PM
    Well when I hear Chrome people talking Mozilla/Firefox first then I can conclude one of two things: 1) That mozilla/firefox has no share - but is obviously the Gold Standard of Web Browsers, so they pay homage to it, or #2 ) It is still a significant base of use (since it also just finished an apparant major re-write) ie actual referers user-agents( in HTTP Header) are Firefox in the real world of web stats, and not just counting the base of installed browsers, but ones that are gathering dust on the device, from little or no actual use.

Not necessarilly disagreeing with your stats about installed base, but am not sure about the real-world usage stats. Then again are those published sources and what were the measurement tools used to decide those figures. There can be a huge amount of fuzziness in those stats.
    The stats are based on Web hits - not number of downloads.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-01-17 02:47 PM
    Sigh ... if you think that is a witty reply then I'm done. Goodbye.
    Statistically speaking there is only a small percentage of the population that reacts badly to humour. Usually very vocal, but actually very small.
    12-01-17 03:47 PM
    It's only going to get worse as time goes by. Trust me- we're stuck on IE11 at work until they decide to migrate to Windows 10, and man does it s.u.c.k. sometimes. Nothing worse than outdated browsers.
    BB10 browser is kind of pretty normal one at the moment, and will stay such for the next 3 or 5 years. Web technologies no longer developing in giant leap. I am a developer. Most of contemporary web sites open successfully in IE11 (forgive me, Lord, mea culpa). Web techs no longer the main aim of humanity. Nowadays everyone wants to mine Bitcoin, haha.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-17 03:52 PM
    The stats are based on Web hits - not number of downloads.
    Okay your source is a sampling, but is it an accurate sampling? Does it skew to a certain market segment, certain countries, certain devices, certain service providers? What are the cautions from the provider about the "global accuracy". None of that is clear, because I don't know if there is a global stats capturing system in place. I raise that question for you to consider, not expecting you to research the answer though, unless you feel compelled. All I'm saying is take those stats with a grain of salt.

Mobile stats by country by OS for example mysteriously had:
    the United States had zero stats for any mobile device, and
    Canada had ios at 51% to Android 46% and BB OS came in third).
    Does it cover Browsing via all VPN's? or are their headers scrambled for security purposes, by oranizations keen on keeping security really tight.

This and other questions about the relative percentages could be raised. Though I wouldn't necesarily disagree that Chrome might be the most used, its just the relative percentages I would question.
    12-01-17 04:30 PM
    Okay your source is a sampling, but is it an accurate sampling? Does it skew to a certain market segment, certain countries, certain devices, certain service providers? What are the cautions from the provider about the "global accuracy". None of that is clear, because I don't know if there is a global stats capturing system in place. I raise that question for you to consider, not expecting you to research the answer though, unless you feel compelled. All I'm saying is take those stats with a grain of salt.

Mobile stats by country by OS for example mysteriously had:
    the United States had zero stats for any mobile device, and
    Canada had ios at 51% to Android 46% and BB OS came in third).
    Does it cover Browsing via all VPN's? or are their headers scrambled for security purposes, by oranizations keen on keeping security really tight.

This and other questions about the relative percentages could be raised. Though I wouldn't necesarily disagree that Chrome might be the most used, its just the relative percentages I would question.
    It's not very complicated, nor is the error range material.

http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share

In Canada, the top six browsers have 97% share: Chrome, Safari, IE, Firefox, Edge, Samsung.

Asia top six, 92%: Chrome, UC, Safari, Opera, Firefox, Samsung.

"StatCounter is a web analytics service. Our tracking code is installed on more than 2 million sites globally. These sites cover various activities and geographic locations. Every month, we record billions of page views to these sites."
    12-01-17 04:43 PM
    BB10 browser is kind of pretty normal one at the moment, and will stay such for the next 3 or 5 years. Web technologies no longer developing in giant leap. I am a developer. Most of contemporary web sites open successfully in IE11 (forgive me, Lord, mea culpa). Web techs no longer the main aim of humanity. Nowadays everyone wants to mine Bitcoin, haha.

Posted via CB10
    Crackberry doesn't even render properly on IE11 ironically. Menus are missing or don't work, the Reply and Quote buttons are invisible and I have to hover over them to find them. And that's just one of many.
    12-01-17 05:22 PM
    So what does BlackBerry 10 adverstise about it's httpd user-agent ie what are its capabilities? ....it says:
    Mozilla/5.0 (same as the very latest Mozilla/Firefox version 57 (Released November 2017) and AppleWebKit (like Gecko)........and Mobile Safari. Which one gets counted? Mozilla or Apple? or the little bracketed (BB10;Kbd)...but more importantly what are its capabilities? Seems its pretty much adhering to what Mozilla/5.0 platform demands.
    12-01-17 05:29 PM
    I opened both the websites:

~CBC TV works. Watched "Workin' Lionel". The volume was blasting - so had to tone it down. Ps: I am in Canada.
    ~Headspace worked. A stock video on "meditation" was playing. Watched it for a while. Didn't hit the "sign up for a free" button b'coz I don't want to.
    @mh1983, per our PM here is the clip:

anon(5597702) likes this.
    12-01-17 05:44 PM
    So what does BlackBerry 10 adverstise about it's httpd user-agent ie what are its capabilities? ....it says:
    Mozilla/5.0 (same as the very latest Mozilla/Firefox version 57 (Released November 2017) and AppleWebKit (like Gecko)........and Mobile Safari. Which one gets counted? Mozilla or Apple? or the little bracketed (BB10;Kbd)...but more importantly what are its capabilities? Seems its pretty much adhering to what Mozilla/5.0 platform demands.
    BB10 is recorded.
    12-01-17 06:04 PM
    Crackberry doesn't even render properly on IE11 ironically. Menus are missing or don't work, the Reply and Quote buttons are invisible and I have to hover over them to find them. And that's just one of many.
    Well, that is definitely an exception. Most of customers today ask for IE11 support for their sites. I think it would last for a couple of years yet.

P.S.: Never tried CB from a desktop PC's browser. Only CB10, only hardcore.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-17 01:07 AM
    BB10 browser is just a pure WebKit.

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    12-02-17 01:28 AM
49 12