Hi all,

Generally I can open most mobile sites on BB10, but I'm seeing some oddities lately.

CBC TV loads and the video plays, but I don't get any audio. (Only accessible in Canada.)

https://my.headspace.com/ shows a blank screen with part of a logo on the top right. (Requires a free account.)

Is anyone able to get these sites to work in the built in browser? Or do you observe the same behaviour? Any suggestions or workarounds? I'd like to avoid running any Android apps if possible.

Thanks!
    11-29-17 08:02 AM
    Try Browsie Browser and select Android as the user agent.

If that doesn't work, use a lightweight Android browser like Opera Mini.

And if that doesn't work, buy an Android phone.
    11-29-17 08:08 AM
    It's only going to get worse as time goes by. Trust me- we're stuck on IE11 at work until they decide to migrate to Windows 10, and man does it s.u.c.k. sometimes. Nothing worse than outdated browsers.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    11-29-17 10:14 AM
    Hi all,

Generally I can open most mobile sites on BB10, but I'm seeing some oddities lately.

CBC TV loads and the video plays, but I don't get any audio. (Only accessible in Canada.)

https://my.headspace.com/ shows a blank screen with part of a logo on the top right. (Requires a free account.)

Is anyone able to get these sites to work in the built in browser? Or do you observe the same behaviour? Any suggestions or workarounds? I'd like to avoid running any Android apps if possible.

Thanks!
    I tried both of the links on my Passport and it worked.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-17 12:12 AM
    I tried both of the links on my Passport and it worked.

Posted via CB10
    Appreciate you trying this out, but "worked" in what sense?

You were able to play that CBC video and hear audio?

You signed up for Headspace, logged in, and the site work?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-17 04:02 AM
    Appreciate you trying this out, but "worked" in what sense?

You were able to play that CBC video and hear audio?

You signed up for Headspace, logged in, and the site work?

Posted via CB10
    Nope, on the CBC link I get the message that is for Canada only, I am not from Canada.
    For the headspace site I tried until the step of creating an account (I don't wanna create one) .

Sorry if I misunderstood your errors, I think I was still sleeping with my eyes opened when I read it.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-17 04:16 AM
    I opened both the websites:

~CBC TV works. Watched "Workin' Lionel". The volume was blasting - so had to tone it down. Ps: I am in Canada.
    ~Headspace worked. A stock video on "meditation" was playing. Watched it for a while. Didn't hit the "sign up for a free" button b'coz I don't want to.
    11-30-17 05:06 AM
    It's only going to get worse as time goes by. Trust me- we're stuck on IE11 at work until they decide to migrate to Windows 10, and man does it s.u.c.k. sometimes. Nothing worse than outdated browsers.
    Lazy web developers will always rank worse than outdated browsers. If you can't spend 30 minutes fixing your site so it renders correctly on more than just the most popular browser of the time then shame on you.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    11-30-17 01:11 PM
    Lazy web developers will always rank worse than outdated browsers. If you can't spend 30 minutes fixing your site so it renders correctly on more than just the most popular browser of the time then shame on you.

Posted via CB10
    Naw the Web moves on. Can't make any progress if we don't leave the outdated crap behind. Might as well still support Netscape while we're at it right?
    eshropshire and anon(9803228) like this.
    11-30-17 01:23 PM
    Naw the Web moves on. Can't make any progress if we don't leave the outdated crap behind. Might as well still support Netscape while we're at it right?
    The outdated crap that's rendering standards compliant code adequately well or the outdated crap incompetent or lazy developers churn out for peanuts?

If a developer chooses to use elements only supported in the latest version of the popular browser of the time (that may not even be finalised in any accepted standards) with no fallback then it's up to them.

The 30 minutes you spend fixing a site for other standards compliant browsers may be beneficial to the business or client who owns the website. "1 in 4 people think our website that you just paid me thousands for looks crap, but it's OK because I've developed it strictly for the latest version of Chrome and they should be using that."

Posted via CB10
    bbrotestant likes this.
    11-30-17 02:07 PM
    The outdated crap that's rendering standards compliant code adequately well or the outdated crap incompetent or lazy developers churn out for peanuts?

If a developer chooses to use elements only supported in the latest version of the popular browser of the time (that may not even be finalised in any accepted standards) with no fallback then it's up to them.

The 30 minutes you spend fixing a site for other standards compliant browsers may be beneficial to the business or client who owns the website. "1 in 4 people think our website that you just paid me thousands for looks crap, but it's OK because I've developed it strictly for the latest version of Chrome and they should be using that."

Posted via CB10
    Would your assessment change if the true number was closer to one in a thousand?
    11-30-17 03:01 PM
    Ensuring compatibility with older browsers takes much longer than 30 minutes and can be almost impossible if you're relying on third party tools/frameworks. It's up to browser developers to ensure their browsers are compliant with the latest web standards.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-30-17 03:18 PM
    I never complain when a site doesn't render in my native BB10 BlackBerry browser (the only one I use on BB10).

If a company doesn't care enough about compatibility with my favorite browser, I just close the tab. Maybe I'll return later on another platform, maybe not. I choose the platform I like, and the company chooses the platform it prefers. If we aren't compatible, then we don't have a relationship. I don't expect them to change, and they obviously don't want me on their site.

If it becomes important enough to me, I will happily switch platforms, and presumably, if they wanted my traffic, they would have built a more compatible site.

But expecting anyone to change what they're using on either side would be silly. BB10's browser experience will continue to degrade incrementally until it's unusable on most sites. Perhaps a third party browser can extend the timeline, but this is how technology becomes obsolete.

For me, the net effect is that I spend less time browsing on my phone. BB10 is still so superior for my email, calendar, etc., that I find myself just waiting to visit websites. Much of the time, I'm double carrying my Z10 And KEYone, and I end up doing email, music and Kindle reading on the Z10 and the Internet on my KEYone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Qorax likes this.
    11-30-17 03:52 PM
    Would your assessment change if the true number was closer to one in a thousand?
    That's goes without saying, but it's not.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-17 04:38 PM
    That's goes without saying, but it's not.

Posted via CB10
    The top six browsers by themselves make up more than 90% of the global market.

I would suspect you have to go down the list a lot farther still to get into rendering issues.
    11-30-17 04:51 PM
    Ensuring compatibility with older browsers takes much longer than 30 minutes and can be almost impossible if you're relying on third party tools/frameworks.
    What third-party tools and frameworks are you relying on that do not work in IE 11? Most rendering issues can be resolved in a tea break. If you're using elements not supported then as I said that's up to you whether you invest in supporting other browsers.

It's up to browser developers to ensure their browsers are compliant with the latest web standards.
    Of course, which is why developers should try to adhere to accepted standards if they want their website to be accessible to the largest user base that's economically viable.

The majority of sites encountered that are broken in the BlackBerry 10 browser are not broken because of the browsers inability to render standards compliant code on a mobile device (many of the unsupported elements only being relevant to other media). The point you raise is also the reason why we all agree that in time the BlackBerry 10 browser experience degrades and why Microsoft are painfully slowly developing Edge.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-17 05:01 PM
    The top six browsers by themselves make up more than 90% of the global market.

I would suspect you have to go down the list a lot farther still to get into rendering issues. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...be8525d271.jpg
    You are talking about standards-compliant code, that was my point. Browser usage statistics vary a great deal depending on country and demographic.

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    11-30-17 05:07 PM
    You are talking about standards-compliant code, that was my point. Browser usage statistics vary a great deal depending on country and demographic.

Posted via CB10
    Name a problematic browser used by any significant number of people anywhere.
    11-30-17 05:14 PM
    What third-party tools and frameworks are you relying on that do not work in IE 11? Most rendering issues can be resolved in a tea break. If you're using elements not supported then as I said that's up to you whether you invest in supporting other browsers.
    I was referring to the BB10 browser but IE 11 is in maintenance mode and hasn't seen new features in years, surely you don't expect it to compete with the latest version of Edge or other browsers?

Of course, which is why developers should try to adhere to accepted standards if they want their website to be accessible to the largest user base that's economically viable.

The majority of sites encountered that are broken in the BlackBerry 10 browser are not broken because of the browsers inability to render standards compliant code on a mobile device (many of the unsupported elements only being relevant to other media). The point you raise is also the reason why we all agree that in time the BlackBerry 10 browser experience degrades and why Microsoft are painfully slowly developing Edge.

Posted via CB10
    Standards change, just run a test on sites like html5test and you'll see accepted standards in 2017 that BB10 or IE 11 don't support.
    11-30-17 05:17 PM
    Ensuring compatibility with older browsers takes much longer than 30 minutes and can be almost impossible if you're relying on third party tools/frameworks. It's up to browser developers to ensure their browsers are compliant with the latest web standards.
    What??? Can't the 2 guys who could maintain and update BB10 in their garage on weekends keep the browser compliant too?
    11-30-17 06:19 PM
    A 'ghetto fix' for some pages that don't render properly at all is to press 'r' and put your browser into 'reader mode'.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-17 06:19 PM
    Edge isn't exactly a picnic. LOL. Microsoft really lost the ball over the last few years...

Safari and Chrome are now, by far, the leading browsers.
    11-30-17 08:33 PM
    A 'ghetto fix' for some pages that don't render properly at all is to press 'r' and put your browser into 'reader mode'.

Posted via CB10
    Yea thats been a great feature and I prefer to read books in html on the native browser but something moving like a clock or browser games wont run the javascript, which is fine I dont need that.

However when I cant sign on to something or chat over it thats not really acceptable. Something that worked before and would continue to work with old standars yet changed slightly just has my arms in the air.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-17 09:41 PM
    Yes take a close look at HTML5TEST.COM with the BB10 browser and see what is not supported. Take a close look. Many of the points lost are 'specialty' features. There's no reason your bog standard Web sites shouldn't work if coded to HTML5 standards.
    I have run the same test on iPhone running latest iOS and it scores nearly the same. If you don't work on BB10 you are also missing iPhone users. Is that a market you want to miss?

Any Web sites are just screwing around. Try it, if you just change the Web browser agent string and the site works, then it is NOT BB10's problem, it is poor website design.

I give you example: try Slashdot. It won't work with BB10, but go ahead and use any modern desktop browser and fake the user string to include the text 'BB', it will also break. Conversely in BB10 change the browser string to something else and it will load fine.

And by the way, IE11 is still used in many corporate environments. Edge has got very little market share.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    12-01-17 12:40 AM
    Edge isn't exactly a picnic. LOL. Microsoft really lost the ball over the last few years...

Safari and Chrome are now, by far, the leading browsers.
    as an installed base (globally)? or actually used? I suspect mozilla/firefox (and bb10's webkit based browser) for example is more significant than the stats posted above would seem to indicate. If there are a billion phones where chrome is installed by default, and not actually used....do you see the point being made?
    12-01-17 03:37 AM
49 12